This one day at band camp......

Keep in touch with some of you buddies after you have left the hallowed halls...
djbigdawg1

This one day at band camp......

Post by djbigdawg1 »

sorry i HAD to start a topic about high school band. harlow started it by saying about the sheet music (or lack of) for us drummers. now john, i know we recieved the music, we just NEVER played it that way. i look back at those days and wonder how we ever SCORED at all. i guess with a lil' brain power and some antics (standing on our heads during Spain, will go a long way........

so lets hear it guys...........i know there are more out there, especially from Harlow.....LOL

Like this one day at band camp...........
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Harlow »

I know I never received tri-tom music for Tyrone will Shine probably because Gerry knew I couldn't read it.

My top-5 Band Memories:

1. Tyrone's 1st Chapter Championship my junior year, when we got on the bus, I said "The wind blew, the Sh*t flew, and we finally came out on top. I looked to my left and Rev. Huff was there and I didn't get kicked out of band.

2. The day The Boatman said he couldn't hear us sing, so we all sang I LIFT MY LAMP BESIDE THE G.D. DOOR. Needless to say, Gerry wasn't happy.

3. After the Tussey Mt. Competition my junior year, I dropped a stick and we lost the percussion trophy by one-tenth of a point. Jill Kirkpatrick, who was a Colorguard alternate came to rub it in that the Front won and the Drummers lost again. I called her every name in the book. Little did I know Rev. Huff was following me down the hill for this 10 minute profanity filled tirade. I was suspended from Band for a week. I think it was the first Band suspension in Tyrone history.

4. At ACC's one year, when it was cold as you know what, the pop rivet on my left tri-tom snapped and I did the drill and my solo holding up my left drum with my left leg.

5. This could almost be #1. The time that Amy Stever fell off the box directing Birdland. I fell down laughing and just couldn't go anymore.

Honorable Mentions:
Where the He** is the F****N Ripple
Opie and Me with the Wild Turkey on the Kennywood Trip
Boom Boom Boom f*g
Trick or Treating at Loyalsock before the Competition
The amount of snuff that went in the radiators
The amount of my Hats Gerry Kidnapped
Meg Lusardi putting the Pie in Gerry's face when ND beat PSU
Rubbing it in to Gerry that Cincinnati beat PSU
Winning the Tina's Castaway Club Pool for how long Jay Sanford would last.
Setting fire to the final Eager Beaver Band Jock Award.
Hope that is a good start Bill.

I still have no idea how I never got arrested for some of the stuff that we did.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

wow Top 5 moments........hmmmmm let me think......

1) Trick or treating before Loyalsock competition. That was so much fun that we lost track of time and got back late for practice (warmups). Since we had no time to go to the bus, some of us kept the candy un our hats during the competition. What was funnier, Kaupie had a smartie sticking out from his hat.

2) The day the drumline walked away from Hess (drum instructor) and left Sandy and Lori with him. He was so p*ss! More or less, we got him fired. We went on and won the drumming award several times without him (or sheet music.......or drum lessons)

3) The year i walked off JV football practice and walked right into band. Bubbles, PArker and I had no drumming experience but we sure could play cymbals......LOL

4) Senior year trip to Busch Gardens. Mostly seniors sitting in Octoberfest section, drinking since you only had to be 18 in Virginia to be allowed to drink alcohol. Gerry just happened to walk by when we started cheering "CHEERS< CHEERS< CHEERS" and we just got the look.

5) Drawing the ire of Gerry the night the bass drummers decided to roll on our heads during a competition. Since we were told NOT TO after the one football game and practice that week. Hey we got BEST PERCUSSION that competition anyway......

HONORABLE MENTION...... mud at states, "we eat eagle meat" and what happened afterwards, the rivalry with Lock Haven, the stealing of their cadence and using it against them, "drumming in a coal mine" disaster, rainy days when boatman arrived........more to come!
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Harlow wrote:I still have no idea how I never got arrested for some of the stuff that we did.
Knowing some of the PR*CKY cops we had back then - ahem - so am I. roll:

Hey, are both you guys still drumming?

I still am, as per the newest Avatar (for THIS board, that is).
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Harlow,

You are still a hoot. I remember your wild turkey episode in kennywood. I still laugh when I tell that story!- and you are right. It is a wonder we got away with half the stuff we did.

I'll never forget returning from the bus after a competition and being very parched! I asked Tom Keagy if he had any DP left. He says sure as he hands me one of his bottles in the dark. Not aware that he hands me the bottle of snuff spat instead of the diet pepsi!! I go to take a drink and scream.......... We all started laughing our asses off. Our stories of that time were so classic.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I forgot one of my all-time favorites.

The Bellefonte Competition my senior year in which they brought 8 bands in for Group III to have someone beat us. Then they blocked the exit and we fought our way out.

Needless to say, we weren't allowed to compete at Bellefonte for 3 years.