Blinking Baby Jesus

TyronePA.com welcomes the writing talents that past and present members of the community have to offer. Submit your poems about Tyrone, or poems that you would like to share with the community here!
Butterball
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Blinking Baby Jesus

Post by Butterball »

BLINKING BABY JESUS

My wonderful, talented, creative, and obviously handsome, husband, a few years ago made a wooden silhouette to be used as an outside decoration at Christmas for our manger scene. We purchased the large plastic lighted Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus. We completed the scene with real hay and the Star of Bethlehem (lighted, of course). Ahhh, can you picture it?

At the start of this Christmas season as we brought down and dusted off our decorations, we realized that baby Jesus had blown a bulb. That same wonderful husband went and purchased a replacement bulb for our Jesus. The question posed to me was honey, is it an issue if baby Jesus blinks? A slight oversight was made in the purchase of a blinking bulb. Yes, our baby Jesus blinks. On, Off, On, Off, On, Off. Laughter was my first response. My initial look at our blinking baby Jesus brought more of the same reaction and in our life the moments that make us laugh, we try to keep alive awhile. So baby Jesus blinks on and on. Each time I turn the corner to our street, my focus has automatically started to become blinking baby Jesus. A Voice in my heart says “there is a lesson in there somewhere, a lesson in a Jesus that blinks.

What is a blink anyhow? A glimpse, a glance, a momentary gleam, this blinking definitely obscures how we see Jesus. I think in this life at one time or another all of us have allowed our Jesus only enough room in our lives to blink. Salvation . . On, Doubt . . .Off; Hope . . . . . On, Fear . . . Off; Peace . . . . On, Turmoil . . Off; Forgiveness . . . On, Bitterness . . Off; Love . . On, Anger . . Off. As I continue to ponder the blinking, I am struck by the absolute truth that the light of Jesus, my Savior, your Savior, the Savior of the world never, ever blinks! The blinking comes when I allow the Light to be enveloped in darkness, when I close the eyes of my heart, to the Truth in the Light. God is Light and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. (1 John 1:5-6)

Yes, our baby Jesus still blinks on and with each blink, I have begun to ask myself what makes the Jesus in me blink? What have I allowed in me to keep the Light hidden? At the center of me is a bulb that does not blink, the Love that does not fail, The Spirit that does not sleep. And therein, I believe, lies the lesson for us all, my much loved brothers and sisters in Christ. The light of God is always ON. What is it in the center of you that turns Him off?

All our love and All Gods Blessings,

The owners of blinking baby Jesus,

Tyrone, PA
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth