Airports

A place for Short Stories, fiction or non. Please be sure to credit all sources if they are not your own.
Robbuck
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Airports

Post by Robbuck »

Airports

I have a job out by the airport. Not a major airport, just a local one. But it seems to be a very busy place. I often wander outside when my factory job allows, either to beat the heat inside (it gets very hot in there 90-100 degrees in the summer) or just to take a quick break. Many times I’ll hear the jet engines revving up for take off or I’ll see one landing and I’ll wonder “Where are all those people going?”
I imagine them in their business suits, carrying their laptops, making big, executive decisions on cell phones before boarding the plane to take them to New York, Paris, London, or wherever it may be. Or they could be dressed in shorts and t-shirts going to visit Grandma or on vacation. It seems so far removed from my little life in Spruce Creek and State College.
I have an Uncle who is part of the frequent flyer set. He lives in California and has to travel for business some times two or three times a week. I asked him,
“How do you deal with all the hassles of flying so much”? He told me that if you fly this much you just learn to deal with it. It’s similar to making arrangements for getting to work on a daily basis. I live in Spruce Creek and drive to State College daily. It’s about a half an hour drive for me. My wife does the same and it’s about twenty minutes for her.
My uncle drives to the airport, arrives two hours early, goes thru security and then has to wait around to board the plane. Then he flies to his destination, gets his rent-a- car or is picked up by his client, checks into his hotel room and then goes to work doing what he has to do. Wow, what a commute. And people do this every day. I can’t imagine having to do this more than once every ten years.
I know I work in a factory and may lead a humdrum life compared to this, but I have to tell you it’s not so bad. I may not be making the big bucks like some other people, but we have a pretty good life. The bills are paid and we do have a few bucks to go to fairs, ball games and such. But still I just keep wondering ” Where are all those people going”?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

I fly almost weekly (in California right now) and I find a lot of people like me on my flights. Normal working people who have to go to a national customer base installing software, training people how to use our software, etc.

I have been doing it for 10 years and I can tell you that the first 4 years it was great. Now however the wear and tear is there. I am spoiled now and hate sitting anywhere other than first class. When you got a gut and backside like mine, that extra space in first class makes all the difference.