Inkjet refill issues

Got a question you would like answered? Post here for possible answers to all your Tyrone questions.
Piscatori
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Inkjet refill issues

Post by Piscatori »

Why do some refills work and others do not? This is the most common question asked by folks refilling their empty inkjet cartridges.

AIr bubbles. Air bubbles created during the refill process will cause failure. Just remove it from the printer and close any openings, any tank type cartridge, and gently shake the cartridge. A Vacuum based process is the industry preferred method.

Ink Dyed. Most inkjet type cartridges use a Dye Ink versus Pigmented or Solvet type inks. Drying occurs more commonly with refills but, New cartridges do dry. A cartridge needing refilled has been altered from normal use. Inkjetting through the print head, very soft metal, changes the ink ports roundness. This will cause ink to dry because or exposure to air. Recommendation. Remove cartridge from the printer, take it to a sink, run fast, hot water over the print head (where the ink comes out) for 10 to 15 seconds, take a paper towel or napkin (quatered) and dab the print head and ink should start flowing again. This works best with single color (Black, Grey) cartrdiges. Tri-Color cartridges have three chambers and need alittle more work.

Printer will not accept your cartridge refill. Remove the refill from your printer, turn off power, look at the cartrdige carriage and make sure it is clean and free of old ink. (Use q-tip moist with isopropyl alcohol and clean the circuits on the carriage and the refill) Insert your refill into the printer, turn on the power and this may reset the circuits and accept the refill. If this fails, try another refill or buy a new cartridge.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act . United States Code Annotated Title 15 Commerce and Trade Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties 15 Section 2302.
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the commission if: The warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

Remember refilling or recycling empty inkjet cartridges ( Hundreds of years laying in landfills) is a GREEN Idea. It takes 3/4 of a quart of oil to produce one cartridge.
Piscatori

Re: Epson refill issues

Post by Piscatori »

For those of us using and enjoying our Epson printers, there is a solution to messy refills. Epson or any tank type cartridge have a bag or some cellophane wall that can be pierced during refilling. To prevent this, as with the initial posting, vacuum is the key. No not the house vacuum but a vacuum based process. For those of us you have Epson printers manufactured AFTER March 2007, refills become more technical. Some new Epson's have a 10% rule that could make your empty good for recycling but not refilling. Over all, Epson is a solid cartridge that can be refilled numerous times.
banksy
MVP Member

Re: Inkjet refill issues

Post by banksy »

I use HP
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Might I add something here... the responsibility of creating more "Green" friendly product should be the responsibility of the manufacturer. I simply do not have the time to fiddle with ink refills just for the sake of recycling. I totally support the recycle effort and would be willing to pay more for products where the manufacturer has to incurred costs to make a greener product, but if anyone fools themselves into thinking that I need to keep bins for white paper, another bin for just newspaper, bins for glass and aluminum, etc, etc, etc I won't be able to build a house big enough for all the storage.

With ink cartridges, I am buying them, using them, and then throwing them out.
Piscatori

Post by Piscatori »

Banksy, so very true BUT, the lack of responsibility on the part of manufacturers does not mean we should abdicate our own personal responsibility to our community. 2 wrongs never made a right. As we collected pop bottles in our youth, peeps today can make money turning in their empties. Worse than plastic bottles, cartridges are made of polymer and lays in landfills for hundreds of years.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

We donate all of our inkjet cartridges to the Humane Society, and ship all toner cartridges back to HP through their recycling program.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Piscatori wrote:Banksy, so very true BUT, the lack of responsibility on the part of manufacturers does not mean we should abdicate our own personal responsibility to our community. 2 wrongs never made a right. As we collected pop bottles in our youth, peeps today can make money turning in their empties. Worse than plastic bottles, cartridges are made of polymer and lays in landfills for hundreds of years.
I agree with you in part, but disagree with "2 wrongs don't make a right." I disagree in that I don't see my failure to go out of my way to recycle ink jet cartridges as a wrong. If someone wanted to lobby Congress for laws I would be willing to assist in funding a cause, but I do not think it is my responsibility to single out ink cartridges as an area or concern. That said, I totally support your effort and your desire to bring this in front of others who may be willing to go the extra mile to recycle ink cartridges.
Piscatori

Post by Piscatori »

An individuals Choice to be or not to be is not a failure it is a choice. But we move forward. Let's talk computers. When I taught computer classes, I would always introduce my audience to terminology. Hardware and software being explained, we closed with skinware. Skinware attributes overwhelmingly to our issues with computers. If we would slow down and read the prompts, 75% of us would be enjoying the gift of technology instead of waiting for pop-ups, etc etc etc. If you pay for technical support to fix the issue, demand that it is fixed when it is returned. Ask questions! Ask your tech if there is an alternative to losing our stuff. Operate your computer with the tech there. We pay so much for our computers, but everything needs a tune-up once in awhile. A reputable computer tech will charge up to $75 per hour for residential, $100.00 for commerical. A good tune-up should run us between $100 and $200.

Primary Complaint. My computer runs slow. Possible cause. Look at the lower right corner of your monitor. I you see more than 3 to 5 icons. That is a start. Understand everything in the lower right corner or the TRAY are running in the background with or without your knowledge. So if we started with 100 memory widgets, and subtract 3 widgets for each icon not to mention the widgets required just to turn on your computer, we find ourselves close to the "FREEZE ZONE". The more programs opening on start-up the slower your computer comes on-line.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I have a Dell Photo AIO Printer 942... can my cartridges be refilled ?? It certainly would be a big plus for me if they can. Now,it cost me an arm and a leg everytime I send for new ones. I didn't realize when I bought the printer that I had to use ONLY Dell cartridges !! I would not have bought the printer if I knew that initally !! Bummer !! Staples is starting to carry the Dell cartridges, but, they don't carry the right ones for my printer.
Piscatori

Post by Piscatori »

Dell 942, Series 5 can be refilled and it work great. The Series 5 ctg, like alot of them, may still indicate low ink. This is Dells way to annoy you into paying their prices. Look at a lexmark 32/33, same ctg.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Piscatori wrote:Dell 942, Series 5 can be refilled and it work great. The Series 5 ctg, like alot of them, may still indicate low ink. This is Dells way to annoy you into paying their prices. Look at a lexmark 32/33, same ctg.
Thank You so very much !!! Next time, I'll give refills a try. Thanks also for Lexmark info. I've been thinking about getting a new, wide screen, media type, wireless, laptop with most of the bells and whistles, including a new printer.... but, for some reason, everybody else seems to want my money too, so I don't want to slide it in there just yet.... gettin' the itch though. I've always been a Dell buyer... maybe I'll change. I personally think they pulled a fast one with that printer, I didn't know until I needed ink the first time around that I HAD to send for, and use, only their cartridges.
Thanks Piscatori !!
Piscatori

Post by Piscatori »

I may do a seperate posting for purchasing computers. So much info. But, there are great deals out ther that will save you $$$
Piscatori

Re:Print Management

Post by Piscatori »

Print Management is not just for business, we can use it very effectively in our homes. Our printers come to us with printing color as default. Change it to Black abd White or just black. Cartridges have page yields, pages per ctg, but also pages for both ctgs combined. To saave money, unless we need to print color, go into your printer properties and set the color to black. Also look at the quality setting. Normal will do fine for school work, recipes etc...

Running hot tap water down and across our cartridge print head (HP, Lexmark, Dell) will loosen dried ink and allow your carteridge to work, unless you are out of ink.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks Piscatori... great info. I'll keep this thread in mind for future reference.
Piscatori

Post by Piscatori »

Rick wrote:We donate all of our inkjet cartridges to the Humane Society, and ship all toner cartridges back to HP through their recycling program.
Doing your part is good.