Amish Friendship Bread (and starter)

Got some great recipes you'd like to share? Poke your head in to see what's cooking... and bring a spoon.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Amish Friendship Bread (and starter)

Post by Rick »

It was all too innocent of an offer; "Hey would you like a starter for Amish Friendship bread?" All to eagerly, I accepted. Little did I know I would be cursed with the makings for the best bread I had ever had in my life. Don't let the name fool you, it can find you new friends, and chase them away just as quickly... Next thing you know you are just "forgetting" starters at friends houses like abandoned kittens. (just ask my wife).

So here is the deal...

The starter arrives in a ziploc bag, and you care for it following the instructions below. Every 10 days, you split it up, baking a fifth of it, giving away three starters to friends or family, and keeping the remaining fifth to keep your habit fed...

Now, I am baking my batch today as a matter of fact, and am willing to send off three starters (I have run out of friends to exploit). So if you are interested in having one, simply PM me with your contact info and I can mail one, or more, off - FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED.

If it doesn't become to taxing, or expensive, I will continue to offer my starters every ten days.

It's not rocket science, but if you can't keep a plant alive, this may not be for you, LOL.

-Rick
Instructions for Amish Friendship Bread: (to be included with starter when passed)

*if air gets inside the bag, let it out. It is normal for the batter to rise and ferment

Do not refrigerate or use metal utensils

Day one: Do nothing
Day two: Mash the Bag (stir)
Day three: Mash the Bag (stir)
Day four: Mash the Bag (stir)
Day five: Mash the Bag (stir)
Day six: Add 1 cup each of sugar, flour, and milk, Mash the Bag (stir)
Day seven: Mash the Bag (stir)
Day eight: Mash the Bag (stir)
Day nine: Mash the Bag (stir)
Day ten: Add 1 cup each of sugar, flour, and milk. Put one cup of Amish Friendship Bread starter mixture into four separate gallon-sized storage bags and give three to friends, keeping one as a starter for yourself. Be careful not to give away all of your starter, or you’ll have to wait until it is given back to you. Only the Amish know how to make it. Should this recipe not be passed on to a friend on the first day, be certain to tell the friend (or write on the bag) which day is the first day (day one). THE REMAINING STARTER IS FOR BAKING - See recipe below.

Preheat oven to 325
To the Remaining portion of the mixture add:

3 Eggs
1 cup of oil (or 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking power
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups of flour
1 large box of vanilla or chocolate instant pudding

**optional: 1 cup raisins or chopped nuts

Grease 2 large loaf pans.

In a small bowl mix an additional ½ c sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Dust the greased loaf pans with half of this mixture, coating very generously.

Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the top.

Bake for an hour. Cool until bread loosens evenly from sides of pan. Turn onto serving dish. Enjoy with loved ones.

For variety, omit the oil and pudding mix and add pumpkin or applesauce, or
Leave the oil and use a different type of pudding mix, or
Follow the recipe as indicated and add nuts, blueberries, carrot, or even fruitcake fruits!
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Rick
Administrator

Post by Rick »

Just an update... One of my starters is taken, there are now two left...
Thank you
Rick
Administrator

Post by Rick »

I'll be baking again today, so I have plenty of starter to go around.

PM ME if you would like some mailed to you.

Thanks, Rick :bluebounce:
Thank you
ragged_scooper
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by ragged_scooper »

This seems to be making the rounds. It's been going through my work here in MD over the last couple of months.

Rob, I'm actually going to bring up some for Mom when I come up, but don't tell her. Regular and choc/choc chip. They really ARE good. I'm sure she'll let you guys have some. Yummy...
I used to watch golf on TV, but my doctor said I needed more exercise, so now I watch tennis!
Meaux
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Please, sir, I want some more....

Post by Meaux »

Rick, I was given this once and then life circumstances messed up my progress...I can keep plants alive so I would like to try again. Please contact me as I would like to get a starter from you if possible. Thanks.
Rick
Administrator

Re: Please, sir, I want some more....

Post by Rick »

Meaux wrote:Rick, I was given this once and then life circumstances messed up my progress...I can keep plants alive so I would like to try again. Please contact me as I would like to get a starter from you if possible. Thanks.
AWESOME!!! You have a PM
Thank you