Shoo-fly Pie

Got some great recipes you'd like to share? Poke your head in to see what's cooking... and bring a spoon.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Shoo-fly Pie

Post by My2Cents »

Came upon this recipe this evening and thought I'd share it with you all. I haven't tried it in a very long time, however, if I remember correctly, it turned out well and tasted good.
Crumb Part:
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar

Liquid Parts:
3/4 tbsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup molasses, ginger,cinnamon & cloves
3/4 cup hot water

Pastry for 1 crust pie

Work the ingredients for the crumb part together and set aside.

Mix the ingredients for the liquid part together, adding the hot water last. Into an unbaked pie shell, combine the crumbs and liquid in alternate layers with crumbs on the bottom and top.

Bake 15 minutes at 450 degrees, then 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
RedhairNFreckles

Re: Shoo-fly Pie

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Looks good, but how much ginger, cinnamon and cloves?
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

RedhairNFreckles wrote:Looks good, but how much ginger, cinnamon and cloves?
Oooops, sorry.... a rounded tsp. each should get it. Also use thick dark syrup like Karo... or, if you can get "King Syrup" all the better. It sounded like a lot of "cloves." I don't care for cloves, I let them out. It still tasted pretty good. One thing for sure, ya gotta' like shoo-fly pie. I'm not sure if this is an "original" PA Dutch recipe... it's been sitting around here for a long time :lol: .
RedhairNFreckles

My late Mom used to love Shoo-fly Pie and would usually buy hers at our local Amish food store. I never would eat it, but lately I am trying all kinds of new foods out. Must be that I realize that life is too short and I'm afraid I'm missing something.... :rofl:
Thanks for the update.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

RedhairNFreckles wrote:My late Mom used to love Shoo-fly Pie and would usually buy hers at our local Amish food store. I never would eat it, but lately I am trying all kinds of new foods out. Must be that I realize that life is too short and I'm afraid I'm missing something.... :rofl:
Thanks for the update.
:shock: What a coinsidence !! I was just sitting here thinking of when I had that shoo-fly pie last and I remember it was when my late Mother made it a long time ago... just as that thought went thru my head... your post above came thru.....
RedhairNFreckles

<hearing the theme song from The Twilight Zone going thru my head> :shock: :eek:
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

ohhhhhhh....... I love shoo fly......gonna go make one...lol. I made the spanish bar cake as well a few weeks ago. I kinda took both recipes given in here and altered them a bit.. I omitted the shortenin and added the oil and a half cup of water...making it 3/4 cup liquid. I baked it in a bread pan ... removed it...cut it into thirds lengthwise...and iced. OMG......delicious. I hate coffee.......but.......I couldn't stop thinking about the coffee grinder at the A&P...lol.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Something to say wrote:ohhhhhhh....... I love shoo fly......gonna go make one...lol. I made the spanish bar cake as well a few weeks ago. I kinda took both recipes given in here and altered them a bit.. I omitted the shortenin and added the oil and a half cup of water...making it 3/4 cup liquid. I baked it in a bread pan ... removed it...cut it into thirds lengthwise...and iced. OMG......delicious. I hate coffee.......but.......I couldn't stop thinking about the coffee grinder at the A&P...lol.
Ahhhh, the coffee grinder. As a kid, I remember going up to the A&P for my Mom to get "3 pounds of 8 o'clock drip." Those Spanish Bar Cakes were somewhere around the coffee machine area.... I can almost still see them stacked there, LOL.
By the way... there are Shoo-fly pie recipies out there on the web.... some sounding better than the one above. Good Luck !!
RedhairNFreckles

I had found a website that advertised they could get some A&P products. So I emailed them and asked if they shipped because the way it was written, you had to live nearby their business for a "pick-up" only.
They emailed me back that "Yes, we do ship to FL" and "What type of products am I interested in?".
So, I emailed them back, "Spanish Bar Cakes and Jane Parker Light Fruitcakes".
They never bothered to even tell me, "NO!! H E L L NO!!!"......the scmucks :stick:
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

haha......too funny....scmucks!!