What if Gray's Memorial Field was renamed...

Didn't get enough at the game? C'mon in and share the experience with the rest of us!!!
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

What if Gray's Memorial Field was renamed...

Post by banksy »

...what would you rename it? I'll go with "The House that Jones Built"
no-it-all

Re: What if Gray's Memorial Field was renamed...

Post by no-it-all »

Too recent, and too many groundbreakers' came before. If you want to go with a players name how about one of the first all-americans? How's "Stonebreakers' Dreamshaker"--- or -- If you want to go legend, Jacobs or Franco field
kilnoperator

Post by kilnoperator »

What about Dr Kirk. Not sure what his first name was anymore. He was team Dr. and died at a game in the early 70's I believe. If memory serves me right, ( which is rarely ), It was during a Tyrone vs Central game and he died of a heart attack.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

no-it-all wrote:Too recent, and too many groundbreakers' came before. If you want to go with a players name how about one of the first all-americans? How's "Stonebreakers' Dreamshaker"--- or -- If you want to go legend, Jacobs or Franco field
All those ground breakers never won a State Title. Jesse is like Babe Ruth!
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

the 1940 team did; also it's a team game, they might not of one one w/out him, but he didn't do it by himself. Babe Ruth got a career out of baseball.....I will stop there but you see where that is gonna go.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Tradition, you know, that kinda' stuff !!! Anyway, there is still a bunch of us 'ole fogeys out here who remember good, and/or, bad(mostly good) times, at certain areas of our hometown. Things, and/or, places have been given names for whatever reason.... so why even think of changing the name of something once it has been named and known by that name for many, many years ?? Gray Field has always been Gray Field. Another example; The Park Avenue Playground.... you could never imagine the fun many of us old fogeys had at that playground in the summertime. It was a fun place to go in the mornings before going to the swimming pool in the afternoon. There were a few people way back then who went to that playground, who also turned out to be "something" in this world.... it wouldn't be fair to single out a particular individual and change the name of that playground.
The Park Avenue Playground should always remain The Park Avenue Playground.
Shea Field is a different story... there was a good reason to change the name from the Paper Mill Playground to that. A case in which that little girl should never be forgotten.... naming that playground after her was an outstanding gesture.
We have a well deserved "Ferner Field." If they want a "Franco Field," build one.... with astro turf and all, somewhere around/behind the high school area, so there will be enough parking for all the spectators and NIMBY.
:fogey: :mrgreen:
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

That's an outstanding idea actually. The parking with the new facility could help with parking concerns for big events at the school as well..ie Dist wrestling(which we already lost) and bigger dist and even state playoff b-ball games.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:Tradition, you know, that kinda' stuff !!! Anyway, there is still a bunch of us 'ole fogeys out here who remember good, and/or, bad(mostly good) times, at certain areas of our hometown. Things, and/or, places have been given names for whatever reason.... so why even think of changing the name of something once it has been named and known by that name for many, many years ?? Gray Field has always been Gray Field. Another example; The Park Avenue Playground.... you could never imagine the fun many of us old fogeys had at that playground in the summertime. It was a fun place to go in the mornings before going to the swimming pool in the afternoon. There were a few people way back then who went to that playground, who also turned out to be "something" in this world.... it wouldn't be fair to single out a particular individual and change the name of that playground.
The Park Avenue Playground should always remain The Park Avenue Playground.
Shea Field is a different story... there was a good reason to change the name from the Paper Mill Playground to that. A case in which that little girl should never be forgotten.... naming that playground after her was an outstanding gesture.
We have a well deserved "Ferner Field." If they want a "Franco Field," build one.... with astro turf and all, somewhere around/behind the high school area, so there will be enough parking for all the spectators and NIMBY.
:fogey: :mrgreen:
I said "what if" and never suggested it should be renamed. Just what if? Sort of like "What if the Queen had nuts?" That isn't suggesting the Queen actually has nuts, but just what if she did (she would be the King by the way if she did.)
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I gotcha' Banksy.... I know what you're saying and understand the "what if's" I guess I was taking the subject too seriously.... sorry. Jeeze, what if.... what if I lose my sense of humor ??
I think I did, for a split second, on this subject.
Somewhere way back, changing the name of the Park Avenue Playground was becoming serious. I just hope someone doesn't get and idea and/or notion to change something that is good, has been good, and is already etched in stone.
Last edited by My2Cents on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

BTW,kilnoperator mention Dr. Dave Kirk above, he WAS a very well known doctor around town and for a good many years. Everyone knew him and he is one person who deserves something named after him.... is there a "sick call" area in the high school ?? Since Daves Dream is already taken,
what if we call it The Kirk Clinic ??
Justa' thought. :mrgreen: