Basketball champs 1914 - 1915, Tyrone Pennsylvania

Didn't get enough at the game? C'mon in and share the experience with the rest of us!!!
Bob H

Basketball champs 1914 - 1915, Tyrone Pennsylvania

Post by Bob H »

http://familypaper.blogspot.com/2006/08 ... -1915.html [/url]

This photo of the 1914 - 1915 basketball champs was taken in Tyrone PA at the studio of J.H. Holtzinger at 1247 Penna. Ave. Does anybody recognize any of these players or have any idea what team this may have been?
Robbuck
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Robbuck »

If this is a tyrone team I would venture a guess that the fellow on the far left is Sam Hayes Sr. and the fellow in the back row next to last looks a lot like Jess Templeton... But this is just speculation on my part..
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
Bob H

Basketball champs 1914 - 1915

Post by Bob H »

Wouldn't that be amazing if you've identified two fellows from that long ago. Any idea what the "B" on the basketball stands for? Was there a school in Tyrone where the team's name began with "B".

thank you very much for the info .... every little bit helps.
jayestewart
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by jayestewart »

Is that a basketball with a "B" on it or a Trophy. It might have been that they had an "A" fivision for larger schools and "B" division for smaller schools back in the early days. PIAA might be able to help you out on that if it is indeed a trophy and not a basketball.
Bob H

Basketball champs 1914 - 1915

Post by Bob H »

I pulled out the old magnifying glass and took a closer look at the photo. That is a basketball sitting on a trophy. I can't see any lettering on the trophy, but the lettering on the Basketball was done by hand, maybe with white paint. The small lettering below the "B" is kinda sloppy, but it looks like P. A. R. YMCA. It was a YMCA TEAM! that lettering is very faint and I hadn't seen it before. thank you!