Rock Climbing

Didn't get enough at the game? C'mon in and share the experience with the rest of us!!!

Do You Rock Climb?

YES!
50%
No.
25%
I want to learn to.
No votes
I hate rock climbers and think they should all go to h*ll!
25%

Total votes: 4

rusty

Rock Climbing

Post by rusty »

Hey everyone,

For my first tyrone post, I thought it would be good to talk about a favorite sport of mine, climbing (thats right it is a sport).

I am new to the Tyrone area and I am still getting my bearings in the area, however I have heard of a few climbing areas in town and I had no problem finding them. I am excited to climb the areas, but I'm worried about access issues. There is one I know for sure would get me in trouble, and that is "The Powerplant". Now I have no idea what is going on there and the only thing I know for sure is it's not opened. I have seen pictures of people ice climbing inside the building, but thats not what excites me. I have taken a stroll to check out the building and it is a fantastic place for a climbing wall. Being such a sucker for the sport I can not help but offer my money (very little of it) and free time (a tad bit more available) to support the continuation of that project.

I have done research and found out that it has been about 15 years since it was purchased for use as an activities building and I hate to imagine a building with so much historic and community value go belly up and become abandoned.

As I read through the forums on this web site I noticed a common theme with Tyrone...Drugs. I understand the need for kids to have something to do, after all I'm still just a kid. But what can the kids do in this town besides football? There is no arcade. I have seen no movie theater. I suppose burger king is ok for a while, but how many whoppers can one eat? Sheetz does not offer a learning environment, and the Library is a place where you have to be quite. I suppose one could spend a day at the reservoir, but how many days in a row?

Please let me know what else is an option in town because I'm getting bored just thinking about it.

I don't mean any disrespect with this post, and I sincerely like Tyrone. I just would like it more if the drugs were out and more money could go to the development of the community. So please, anyone, let me know what is going on with "The Powerplant"

My second access concern is the climbing wall behind the American Legion. "The Bluffs", as it is called, looks to be kinda sweet local climbing spot. I did not step onto the legion lawn, so I did not get a close look, but from the parking lot it was quite a surprise to see it! Especially because I got married in the Legion this year and had no idea I could have been climbing that night! I am more interested in this climbing area than any other in PA because of it's proximity to my house. That and it seems to be a local treasure that I would love to share with some of my climbing partners. To me it is as important as the Legion itself. I honestly do not know how big it is, or even if I could climb it, but I could never know without trying.

If anyone can enlighten me on The Bluffs, I would love to know more history of climbers and access to it. I am a firm believer that if there is enough support from a community, access to even the most restricted areas can be granted.

All in all, I am looking for another alternative spot for me to climb. I won't lie and say I want to do this to help the community more than myself, but I do want to help the community as well. If I can influence a few kids to pick up a rock climbing chalk bag instead of a heroin dirt bag, than maybe in time we can rid this town of its demon.

Thank you for reading such a long post. I hope it made sense, I'm nearing the end of my day and I think I'm starting to ramble a little. I am looking forward to meeting everyone in town and anyone I have meet has been very nice. I am very lucky to find such a nice town with a nice community. Thank You Tyrone and Thank You Tyrone-ians!

Rusty
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Hey Rusty,

I am an ex-climber. Last time I climbed was about 10 years ago in and around the abandoned quarries surrounding SC and Bellefonte. Then, I graduated from college, moved from that area, got a wife and then kids came along, and so ended that chapter. My wife has a problem with "dangerous" activities, which really puts a crapper on other activities I enjoyed like racing dirt stocks, demo-derbies, and such. And, I don't know if I could even tie the appropriate knots now to be honest with you.

I always wanted to climb the quarry out towards Warriors Mark near Ridge Road (not the big one, but the smaller one), but I knew that was an active quarry and figured that New Enterprise wouldn't appreciate the sport to the point of legalities probably eventually getting in the way. Which I can fully understand.

The hill you are talking about behind the Legion... I've never really been near it, but I always thought it was predominately shale. Not exactly quality climbing material if that is the case, in my opinion.

If you go around the back roads around Tyrone... say the Sinking Valley area, and maybe Huntingdon Furnace and Spruce Creek area, there are some decent looking climbs. 453 down towards Grier School would be awesome if it wasn't right along side the road. Check down along River Road down past Tipton, too. There might be a cut back along in there somewhere, though I can't be certain at the moment.

There are some good, small climbs around the area if you can find them thanks to the old quarry cuts and the the way the creeks cut through the limestone in some places. One way you might be able to check things out would be using a satellite imagery of the area. You can use the Yahoo! maps/beta and see satellite photos of the area for free. I believe the pics are from 2003, so it's not too much out of date.

Have a nice climb.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Hi Rusty,

Welcome aboard, I don't climb rocks, but do enjoy Pop Rocks.

Does that count?

***** Slinks back out of thread *****

(Truly, welcome)
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks 150thBucktailCo.I,

I have not been behind the legion and close enough to see the rocks. I will have to check on the shale. I do know what quarry you are talking about. I thought that would be cool, but like you said, access issues. I did find an old railroad bridge in Warriors Mark off station road and started bouldering that. I also climb near Grampion, PA at Bilgers Rocks, near Ridgeway, PA at Indian Rocks. Thanks or the beta on other local areas to check for climbs. I will check out the satellite images too.

Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi rick,

I do think pop rocks count, just stay away from the soda during!

I have enjoyed reading your posts and I am glad to be abroad, Thanks!

Rusty
rick wrote:Hi Rusty,

Welcome aboard, I don't climb rocks, but do enjoy Pop Rocks.

Does that count?

***** Slinks back out of thread *****

(Truly, welcome)
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Cripes... if you are climbing in Ridgway, you might as well drive another hour (or less) north and climb in the Allegheny National Forest and maybe spend the night. There's a couple places up there with some really nice rocks to climb, along with some cuts in mountainsides. It's on RT. 59 towards Warren, PA. Just take 219 north through Johnsonburg, pick up SR 321 north at Wilcox and keep going until you come to 59. Hang a left (west) towards Warren.

Jake's Rocks and Rimrock are some nice areas. If you stop at the Ranger Station at the intersection, they might be able to give you additional information.

Doing it now might be a little iffy, as they have a massive manhunt going on in the area for a guy who has shot a few NY State Troopers and killed one of them that's also involving PSP, local cops, the Forest Service, FBI, and the Federal Marshal Service because they believe the guy has been ducking in and out of the forest.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

There used to be some nice rock cliffs up Janesville Pike at "Ice Mountain". However, I and some friends used to go there NOT to rock climb - but to catch rattlesnakes. Practically every rockpile and cut I've encountered around Tyrone was rather snake-infested at the top, at ledges, and/or near/at the bottom.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I enjoy Rolling Rocks.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for all the info guys, I will have to check out the areas. I'm still wondering what is going on with the powerplant and I hope to find out someday. It would be sweet to help run a climbing area like that. Thanks again!
rusty

The Bluffs

Post by rusty »

Wow! I just visited the Bluffs yesterday. Wow! Talk about hidden rock! I really want to climb those rocks! There are a few places that the rock is flaking off, but other places it is solid! I want to find out who owns that property and if it's ok that I climb there. Can anyone tell me where to start? I was thinking about just walking into the Legion and asking there, but I wasn't sure anyone would really be able to tell me yes or no for certain. Plus, I'd really like to just go to the top and talk to the owner so I can explain what I want to do.

I guess I want to find Tax Maps for this area. That's my first step. Then I will approach the owners. If anyone knows where to get them, please let me know! Thank You!!

Rusty
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I thought everyone paid the same taxes based on a percentage. I didn't realize there were maps involved in it.