Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Bill Latchford »

Great Site for Power Information for Pennsylvania:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/state/state_en ... cfm?sid=PA
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Bill Latchford wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
Bill Latchford wrote: My house is entirely electric.
Natural gas is used to produce electricity.
Thanks for the info. I was aware of that but did not know the percentage vs. Coal, Nuclear and such. A quickie Google and I am sure I will know the answer. Take Care.
PA % electricity from coal = 55% ; nuclear =36% ; natural gas = 5% ; hydro = 1% ; miscellaneous = 3%

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/pa ... tespa.html
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

I sure hope Borough Council is wise enough to postpone the vote on Gamesa's proposal until more is known about the natural gas well option. Having both a windplant and a gas well on Ice Mountain would be an incredible slap-in-the-face to Ice Mountain's status as a Blair County Natural Heritage Area. Personally, I could adapt to having a gas well on Ice Mountain, but a 15-turbine wind farm would be MUCH too obtrusive.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

http://www.windaction.org/news/16572

Speaker outlines wind power 'myths'
in Watertown Daily Times

CAPE PRESENTATION: Ecologist says wind not best answer to global warming, pollution, oil dependency

The attraction of wind power is based on some myths.

That's what D. Daniel Boone, an ecologist and natural resources policy analyst from Bowie, Md., told members of the Wind Power Ethics Group and the public at a presentation Friday evening.

While global warming is used as a reason for supporting wind turbine development, Mr. Boone said, "I'm convinced they're not the best way of dealing with this issue."

Mr. Boone said onshore wind power development won't solve air pollution problems, won't reduce the current rates of burning or mining coal and won't reduce the country's dependence on foreign oil.

He credited the Clear Air Act for the current and future progress of cleaning air over the eastern U.S.

The act requires use of a cap-and-trade program, in which power plants - among others - are allowed a certain amount of nitrogen oxide and sulfuric oxide emissions. If they do not use all of their allowance, the producers are allowed to trade or sell the remainder.

"But meanwhile, the ceiling is getting lower," Mr. Boone said.

According to the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, emissions of nitrogen oxide, a key substance in smog, decreased in the mid-Atlantic states between 1995 and 2003. But at the same time, electricity output increased 15 percent. The mid-Atlantic states are Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.

When wind power is introduced into a region's grid, the allowance for pollutants isn't immediately decreased. Ideally, wind-generated electricity would replace power from plants that emit gases.

But those plants still have their allowances, which may be used by burning cheaper, less efficient coal, or sold to other plants.

So as emissions in the eastern U.S. decrease, "wind turbines are not going to have anything to do with it," Mr. Boone said.

On coal burning, Mr. Boone said the demand for electricity will push further growth in the coal industry even if wind energy resources are used. New York used 9,417 tons of coal to produce electricity in 2006.

The National Renewable Energy Lab estimated that in 2050, wind power generation would produce 10 percent of electricity in the U.S., while coal would produce more than 50 percent, about the same proportion it produces now. But overall demand would more than double.

As demand increases and the allowed emissions decrease, new technology will be needed to make coal plants cleaner. Or they need to be replaced with cleaner alternatives.

"I think there's downsides to everything," Mr. Boone said. "But as far as emissions are concerned, nuclear would have way less."

On foreign oil use, Mr. Boone cited a Rocky Mountain Institute study that said only 3 percent of oil use in the United States goes to electricity production. And of that, five-sixths comes from useless byproducts of the refining process.

So oil is not a competitor for wind energy.

Wind energy, especially onshore in the eastern U.S., does not produce close to its rated capacity. The turbines produce the most during winter nights and the least during summer afternoons, when demand is highest.

"It's out of whack seasonally and during the day," Mr. Boone said.

But offshore wind turbines would more closely mirror demand.

"The future is offshore," he said. "But there needs to be environmental studies first."
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

http://www.windaction.org/news/16568

June 28, 2008 by Conor Mihell in The Sault Star

Despite their benefits, wind farms aren't without environmental baggage, say some experts, who fret that amid the rush to develop this means of harvesting power, no one's stopping to breathe and assess the damage

Studies are being done to monitor the impacts of wind turbines on landscape ecology and wildlife, such as birds and bats.

Building roads, erecting towers and installing transformer stations and transmission lines destroys forest habitat, and the noise and turbulence and vibrations of spinning turbines may alter the behavioural patterns of wildlife, said Mark Nash, the president of the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, a nongovernmental raptor protection group based in Toronto.

A survey of a 120-turbine development in New York in 2006 estimated that each turbine killed 23 birds and 59 bats per year.

"Thirty years of wind farming in Europe have shown that turbines kill birds," said Nash. "I predict that as we get more and more of these big projects we're going to see the same high level of mortality that's been documented in Europe."

Nash is particularly concerned about the impacts of developing large wind farms in ecologically sensitive bird migration, staging and nesting areas, like much of Lake Superior's north shore. Prince Township, for instance, is a part of an important corridor for thousands of migrating birds that cross Lake Superior at the narrows between Michigan's Whitefish Point and Ontario's Gros Cap peninsula every spring and fall.

"The jury's still out on the environmental effects of these things," said Nash. "Yet there's a rush for development in some of the most critical raptor habitat in Ontario. Everyone's been sold on this technology and nobody cares about a bunch of birds."

Generating capacity is based on sustained wind speeds of 40 to 90 km/h. A six-month audit conducted in 2006 by Energy Probe, an international non-profit energy policy watchdog organization, revealed that, on average, Ontario's wind power installations achieved only 22 per cent of their rated capacities. And since turbines draw a certain amount of energy from the grid to operate, they are unable to produce electricity in the event of a blackout.

According to Jim Deluzio, Brookfield's general manager of Sault Ste. Marie operations, the winds coming off Lake Superior at Prince Township are better than average. He said the Prince I and II installations achieve maximum production about 10 per cent of the time and produce about 32 per cent of their rated capacity.

According to Sumner, it's possible to have too much of a good thing. Wind is the fastest growing energy source in the world, but an even better bet, said Sumner, would be to reduce the demand for electricity rather than continually increasing the supply.

"As long as government keeps on promising to supply more energy it will keep being used," Sumner said. "We need to be more aggressive in dealing with the demand side of the equation."
sammie

Post by sammie »

Windmill farm proposal may be nixed

July 1, 2008 in WJAC TV6

A possible wind farm atop Ice Mountain in Blair County has caused a flurry of controversy, with residents even signing petitions and casting ballots in favor or against it. However, it looks like all that buzz might not even matter.

Officials said some companies have found natural gas on Ice Mountain in Snyder Township, just outside of Tyrone. Although there's nothing set in stone, it could be an alternative to those windmills.

Tyrone Borough officials said it's still very early, but the possibility of natural gas drilling looks far more lucrative for Tyrone than the windmill farm. Officials have already met with two companies and plan to meet with one more. The solicitor is already reviewing a lease.

But according to officials, they are being very careful because the property is the same as their watershed, which is the only water source for the borough. They said if drilling deep into the ground means sacrificing the water, it's not an option. So they're gathering all of the information they can.

People who live near Ice Mountain said they have mixed feelings about drilling for gas instead of putting up windmills.

The borough council is looking at all of the issues before they address the drilling at a public meeting. In the meantime, there is no word on when the windmill vote will actually be.

Web link: http://www.wjactv.com/news/16762672/detail.html
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sammie wrote:Windmill farm proposal may be nixed

July 1, 2008 in WJAC TV6

A possible wind farm atop Ice Mountain in Blair County has caused a flurry of controversy, with residents even signing petitions and casting ballots in favor or against it. However, it looks like all that buzz might not even matter.

Officials said some companies have found natural gas on Ice Mountain in Snyder Township, just outside of Tyrone. Although there's nothing set in stone, it could be an alternative to those windmills. Web link: http://www.wjactv.com/news/16762672/detail.html
I hope so!
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

FROM SOAR:

Hi folks,

I hope all of you had a great 4th of July, although it was a little soggy!

I just received this announcement (July 5). Note that wind energy got the short straw, with a lot more money going to solar. Originally, there was more money allocated to wind, so it is good to see that funding is now lower.

Laura

Harrisburg – The Alternative Energy Investment Act, a measure spearheaded by Sen. Mary Jo White (R-21) to boost renewable energy development and help consumers reduce energy use without imposing new taxes, received final legislative approval today and was sent to the governor to be signed into law.

Senator White was the prime sponsor of the Alternative Energy Investment Act, the final version of which was amended into House Bill 1 <http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bil ... =B&BN=0001> of the Special Session on Energy Policies. White chairs the Senate's Environmental Resources and Energy Committee, as well as the Special Session Committee on Energy Policies.

In addition to support for research and development of alternative energy technologies, the $650 million initiative provides assistance to consumers to cover up to 25 percent of the cost to install energy-saving equipment and boosts funding of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) by $40 million, the senator said.

"This is a responsible plan that provides immediate assistance to consumers to reduce energy use, as well as a long-term approach for developing and implementing alternative energy across Pennsylvania. And it does not impose any new taxes on the consumers we are ultimately trying to help," said White.

The Alternative Energy Investment Act includes:

· $165 million for loans to businesses and loans or grants to counties, municipalities and school districts for clean energy projects, as well as loans and grants to businesses that support alternative energy production through the Commonwealth Financing Authority.

· $100 million to provide loans, grants and rebates of up to 35 percent of the purchase and installation costs of solar and solar photovoltaic panels.

· $92.5 million for consumer grants, loans, rebates and reimbursements of up to 25 percent of the purchase and installation price for consumer energy conservation projects.

· $80 million for loans and grants for alternative energy production projects related to solar energy.

· $50 million for tax credits to increase alternative energy production.

· $40 million for research and development of alternative energy technologies through the Ben Franklin Technology Development Authority.

· $40 million to boost funding of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

· $25 million for loans and grants for geothermal and wind energy projects.

· $25 million for loans and grants for high-performance buildings

· $25 million for pollution control technology grants for small coal-fired power plants.

· $5 million in loans through the PA Housing Finance Agency for energy efficiency projects.

· $2.5 million for data center consolidation projects

"Pennsylvania will now have a framework in place to expand and diversify our energy supply, and encourage steps that can reduce demand and increase efficiency, both in our homes and businesses," said White. "It's an historic step that will boost the use of alternative and renewable energy throughout the Commonwealth."

More information on the Alternative Energy Investment Act is available online at http://www.senatormjwhite.com/environmental.htm <http://www.senatormjwhite.com/environmental.htm> .

Summary of Alternative Energy Investment Act <http://www.senatormjwhite.com/press-2008/HB1-PN86.pdf>

Pat Henderson <mailto:phenderson@pasen.gov>
(717) 787-9684

------ End of Forwarded Message
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Ice Man wrote:FROM SOAR:

Hi folks,

I hope all of you had a great 4th of July, although it was a little soggy!

I just received this announcement (July 5). Note that wind energy got the short straw, with a lot more money going to solar. Originally, there was more money allocated to wind, so it is good to see that funding is now lower.

Laura
The legislators to whom I've spoken told me that there's significant opposition to industrial windplants in many areas of southcental PA, but less opposition in southwestern and northeastern PA. Both southwestern and northeastern PA have a major coal-mining history, so that might be part of the reason. Industrial windplants in those parts of the state are often built on reclaimed strip mines. However, in southcentral PA, industrial windplant developers are targeting forested ridges. Forested ridges are the worst places for industial windplants from an ecological perspective because of impacts to migratory birds, bats, and forest fragmentation.
sammie

Post by sammie »

Residents amend windmill lawsuit

July 7, 2008 in WJAC TV6

The battle wages on in Blair County, where a couple has filed an amended complaint to their lawsuit against Gamesa Energy and the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm. This time they've included expert testimony.

Todd and Jill Stull's home in Juniata Township sits within a half-mile of six wind turbines.

The Stulls first filed a lawsuit in April, but according to Jill Stull, after Gamesa objected to their claims that the noise coming from those turbines has been more than a nuisance, it has impacted their health, they've refiled. Stull said this time they have an environmentalist and a sound engineer on board. While their problems are still the same, they hope the words from the experts carry a little more weight.

Stull said they've been dealing with the noise and the vibrations in their home from the turbines for a year and a half. She said they don't even care about the money, they just want the turbines to stop for them and their neighbors.

Officials from Gamesa said they can't comment on the lawsuit.

Web link: http://www.wjactv.com/news/16814924/detail.html
Last edited by sammie on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammie

Post by sammie »

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that there will be a fundraiser for Sensible Wind Solutions(SWS) at the Boulevard Grill in Johnstown on July 20, 2008 from 4:00 to 8:00pm. Admission to Singing for Solutions will be $10. All proceeds will benefit SWS.

Four musical acts will be performing: Mike Ferencak, Jenny Drummey, Rachael and Bo, and The Patti Spadero Band.

You can buy tickets at the Grill or by contacting Kim Moore: anoldforest@yahoo.com.

SWS has been working tirelessly to save Shaffer Mountain and other high quality forests by encouraging placement in less harmful sites, such a strip mines and fallow fields.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Rumor has it... mind you "rumor" (hope it's wrong) windmills on Ice Mountain is already a done deal and they are going to be voted in. If so... then so much for keeping the faith !!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

My2Cents wrote:Rumor has it... mind you "rumor" (hope it's wrong) windmills on Ice Mountain is already a done deal and they are going to be voted in. If so... then so much for keeping the faith !!
- That would be just a rumor for sure My2Cents. As a matter of fact there has been no talk of the Turbines for I bet almost 2 months. Or at least I have not been asked to leave an executive session for that long. When I am asked to leave it is usually about The Turbines. So hopefully that will easy your thoughts for a bit anyhow. Take Care
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I was unaware of the article in today’s Altoona Mirror about Snyder Township's ordinance covering Wind Farms. Here is the link:

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=742

It looks like the ball is now definitely in the Borough's court.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

As they did last year, nothing was mentioned from the end of May until the beginning of October. I'm guessing, but, these people are probably out on their long vacations only to return to Spainsylvania in the fall.
Meantime, we are left with the decisions, decisions, decisions.....