let's discuss the new rules at the Tyrone pool

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
tyrone_soccer

Post by tyrone_soccer »

I feel that Jay's comments are great. I tried to start recreational board in Tyrone about 6 years ago. To no avail. The reason this board was not formed was not due to the boro, but due to the individual youth leagues that could not get along. I had tried to start this in an effort to have all youth organizations be represented, this included youth football, baseball, soccer, etc. The problem again was not the boro but organizations not getting along, because they felt "their organization was the only one that should exist".

Also, to let the community know, at least during the duration I was the president of youth soccer, each non-profit youth sports organizations could apply for a $300/yr. grant from the boro. To apply was realistically just asking. As far as I know at least soccer, baseball, and football was doing this. I did some quick research and this is still the case, the boro still grants the money.

When it comes to Tyrone's ex mayor, it looks to me like people on this board focus negatively on all of the things she did. Even though I'm sure that there were both pros and cons to her being mayor, people should focus on positive things of life. I don't even live in the boro and I see some positive things she has done for your community. (Street scape, soccer field, hockey rink, etc....) What people don't realize is that she was at least trying to make a positive impact on the community of Tyrone. Not everyone agrees with this and that is understandable, but sometimes people need to look outside the box.

I would personally say that youth soccer has made a tremendously positive difference in your community. It provides an opportunity for kids to participate in program that focuses their energys in positive directions. What I have seen over the past 5 to 6 years is that the kids in this program have not been taken from other sports programs, which was the first thought from every other sport (ie, youth football, youth baseball) but, have added to the youth in your community being more active.

Even though I no longer am the president of a youth sporting board, I would volunteer to sit on a board like this for the good of the community and its youth. Would you???
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

Positive?? X-Mayor McCheese has NOT done the right things to be a positive influence on Tyrone. If you ask most folks, the streetscape program has been a waste of money. Some will say that the new "facelift" looks good for town. The final phase is being completed BUT the project only extends to Burger King. Also the area around the Y building is looking bad. This is NOT a positive.

The soccer field and roller rink appeared in town during her watch. The soccer program has become very popular in town. I have never been opposed to the program BUT the field that Mayor McCheese chose for it took away a vital place of fundraising for the Neptunes Fire Co. Does anyone remember the small carnival in April that the Neptunes had? Are most games played at the high school field anyway? Thats MY point about the soccer field that mccheese built.

Then we head to the often used roller rink that adorns the place where volleyball courts were. I saw more kids playing volleyball than i do kids using the rink. Good question raised earlier......does ANYONE use the rink?? The kids in town campaigned for a skating park......not a roller rink. Some kids that helped McCheese with some projects in town were promised a skating park quite a few years ago.....were forgotten.... then were told that all their hard work went toward a roller rink and NOT a skating park.

On the subject of volunteer.... i have lived in Tyrone for 35 years. I was a volunteer coach for the youth football program for 5 years and helped out with several baseball teams. Not like some coaches, i did NOT have a kid in the program at the time. To think about that, i didn't have any kids then. I am a proud father of 2 boys now. I would be receptive to sit on a reacreational board in some capacity if it would fly in town. BUT as stated before, too many different leaders for the individual leagues.
jayestewart
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by jayestewart »

The advisory board can be made up of folks other than just coaches. Ours includes several local merchants. When we bring events to town, they win financially. Additionally we have a couple of retired folks who serve on our board as they appreciate the fact that if kids are doing something good they are not doing something bad. Also, we have worked on providing all types of recreation for the very young to the very old. We now have a bocci league that plays mostly older men but they do enjoy it. We have all the regular recreational things but there are lots of alternative sites and sports. We did a survey of our community and asked them what they would like to see added most. We then took that information and have embarked on a long range plan to develop the missing components. Until everyone appreciates everything that anyone would like to have, then it will be difficult to work for the good of everyone because it becomes political. If you all come together, it can be accomplished.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

A Recreation Board would be a great idea for the community to try and get all the activities on the same page. I believe there has been quite a bit of funds funneled into the community for recreation as of late Mr. Bock, just not particularly what some may have wanted. Get that voice together and maybe more can come of recreational funding. I would be interested in helping out or serving on such a board as I was a few years back, when it was proposed. Lets try to keep a positive momentum on something like this.