Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain

Post by Harlow »

Let me give you a few reasons why you get what you get with the Herald.

There is a staff of 3 count them 3 people at the Herald. Unless I am mistaken, the Mirror has a staff of over 100.

Those 3 people do more to cover Tyrone than anyone at the Mirror.

Kris has interviewed Kilmartin. He has interviewed the Windfarm people.

Get more people to advertise in the Herald and buy more papers and the staff might be more than 3.

These same 3 people type the obits, make sure your kids birthday is there and let you know about all the community functions.

You are lucky that in a town of 5,500 that there is a Newspaper and a Radio Station.

Quit being ungrateful.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I'm not being ungrateful, but I expect better. This is coming from someone who used to be a reporter for a small town paper, and we only had 3 full-time employees as well. The editor, a reporter (me) and our ad guy. I still found the time to write an investigative report on the environmental effects of snowmobiling in Yellowstone National Park that got picked up by several larger papers. I don't care who you are or what you do, there is always room for improvement. Can't take the critisism? Pack your bags, you won't get far in journalism without a thick skin.
Blain

Post by Blain »

I was very disappointed at the "story" as published in the Herald. It seemed that it was essentially a reprint of the Gamesa press release.

I don't agree with Harlow. "Lucky to have what you have" isn't an excuse for poor reporting. Make an effort to do some actual reporting, or publish the Gamesa press release and label it as such. Don't try to disguise one for the other.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Unfortunately, many people don't realize when it says "from staff reports" under the headline what they are reading is a news release or public service announcement from a company or organization. It may be edited for style, or shortened to fit into the space, but that's about it. Obviously, its much easier to run those than to write your own story, especially when you have space to fill and working under tight deadlines.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

This topic sure has brought out some very interesting reading. From people with very good intentions and great information to provide to information that is just silly. We should truly be thankful to Rick and all at ODV for providing us with such a way to keep our thoughts in the forefront. I know if I had not had this forum I would not have gotten all the great information I have, Though things got a bit heated, I'm sure all agree that when emotions get involved at the levels they were in this topic, that people are bound to turn on each other. I thank everyone who gave me their input.
Remember the public meeting on Dec 5 from 7 to 9 pm. at the Senior Center in Tyrone. That is behind the Citizens Bank on I think it is 3rd street.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Thanks for the kind words, Bill.

By the way, I got a letter from Gamesa yesterday, thought I would share...

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1771/gamesasm3.jpg
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Rick wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Bill.

By the way, I got a letter from Gamesa yesterday, thought I would share...
I got one also...I personally think that is a good thing...that along with having another public meeting i believe should bring a lot of people out on December 5th.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Well Soccermom, if you are so good at your journalism, feel free to go research and write a story for the Herald.

I bet Christina would run it.

If you knew what they got paid and they hours they work to give you a paper everyday, you would get off peoples backs.

Lets give you an idea. When I left to join the Government Civillian Corps, my first check was double what I made at the Herald and I ended up making $42K my first year with Govt. Service. Divide that by 2 and I was putting 60 hours a week in at the Herald.

Nobody's making a killing there. They do put press releases in the paper and they do it under staff reports. If you had a reason to gripe and complain, when there is a press release where someone puts their byline on it, then you can complain.

Go back through the archives like I did. There have been stories on both sides of the Wind Farm issue.

Kris even went through the streets of Tyrone asking people for their opinion and nobody wanted their opinion in print.

How many of the Borough Council meetings have you attended? Have you talked to the Wind Farm people? Have you talked to the Juniata Audibon people?

If you don't do these things and inform yourself, you get what you get and should shut up about it.

I love Tyrone, but I can't stand Tyrone. Nobody takes action and then gripes and moans when something happens.

This has been a view from my recliner.

Harlow
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Oh please, no one takes a job at a small town paper expecting to make a killing. I worked many a long hours covering everything from town council meetings and high school sports to bear maulings in Yellowstone park, making less than 20k a year (first job out of college).

I believe I am pretty well informed on this topic, certainly more than the average person, but I already have a full time job, plus being a mom of two active kids. So I'll leave the investigative reporting to those WHOSE JOB IS TO REPORT ON HAPPENINGS OF THE COMMUNITY. I can't think of a single thing going on locally right now that is more important, so there is no excuse for not covering both sides. Others that get the paper everyday agree with me, its been pretty one-sided lately.

See everyone on Dec. 5! Hope we get a good turn-out.
Rick
Administrator

Post by Rick »

Non-Tyrone-native question, but a simple one.

Where exactly is Ice Mountain, and/or the proposed turbine locations.

For reference...

TYRONE GOOGLE SATELLITE MAP
Thank you
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Ice Mountain is about 4 miles above Tyrone up 453 (JanesVille Pike). Now from what i can tell from things I have seen the windmills would run north to south across the ridge. On the Google Map you provided locate the Tyrone Reservoir and then look west about 4 more inches and you will see what I believe is the Ice Mountain. Correct me if I am wrong people.
Rick
Administrator

Post by Rick »

Thanks Bill,

so roughly here...

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8551/picture1ux0.jpg

Anyone have coordinates?

I'm assuming they have notated somewhere in their proposal, precisely where they want them.
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Bill Latchford wrote:This topic sure has brought out some very interesting reading. From people with very good intentions and great information to provide to information that is just silly. We should truly be thankful to Rick and all at ODV for providing us with such a way to keep our thoughts in the forefront. I know if I had not had this forum I would not have gotten all the great information I have, Though things got a bit heated, I'm sure all agree that when emotions get involved at the levels they were in this topic, that people are bound to turn on each other. I thank everyone who gave me their input.
Remember the public meeting on Dec 5 from 7 to 9 pm. at the Senior Center in Tyrone. That is behind the Citizens Bank on I think it is 3rd street.
Bill, I had PM'ed you on Friday because I didn't really want to put this on the board. However,since you didn't open the PM I guess I have no other choice. Since I thought these wind turbines blew air like a fan does I guess I am one of the ones who made your "sillylist." I certainly hope not... that's very embarrassing.... especially, when you don't know who you are even talking to. However, I must say... that fan subject, in itself, made me dig deeper and deeper into how these things really do function. Just about everyone who posted on this subject was sincere in their beliefs. The position that you hold as part of the council should be respected, and you in turn should respect all opinions of the people in this community and surrounding areas.... be they good, bad, or indifferent... no matter who they come from.... be they rich, poor, uneducated, educated, expert or not an expert. Yes, you have apologized for all your inuendo's, but, you are still throwing out the "silly" factor. It's fine to cover over all that was said... apologize and just leave it lay... I guess we can all accept the fact that "this too, shall pass.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

My2Cents:

I saw that I had a PM went into read it, and this is what I saw in my mailbox. These are the 3 messages that show up in my mailbox, yours being the latest one. I'm sure you can confirm with the administrator of this board that your message was never delivered to me. I respond to all my messages, no matter who they are from, whether they are mad or not....everyone deserves a response.

This message has been removed by its author before it was delivered.
by My2Cents on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:35 pm

Skate park
by Butterball on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 pm

get a life
by tyroniepa on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:14 pm
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Bill Latchford wrote:My2Cents:

I saw that I had a PM went into read it, and this is what I saw in my mailbox. These are the 3 messages that show up in my mailbox, yours being the latest one. I'm sure you can confirm with the administrator of this board that your message was never delivered to me. I respond to all my messages, no matter who they are from, whether they are mad or not....everyone deserves a response.

This message has been removed by its author before it was delivered.
by My2Cents on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:35 pm
Yes, that was the one.... I kept seeing it in the "outbox" and after a while, the more I thought about it, I just decided to delete it. Basically, it contained the same message as above. I am just curious as to wheather or not you are considering me as being one of the ones on your sillyness list :roll: ??