Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by sandstone »

I agree with Conan. Borough Council will be watching to see how many people show up for this. Make your opposition clear. The issues include direct mortality to birds and bats, forest fragmentation, the inducement of avoidance behavior in wildlife, noise, runoff from roads, oil leaks from turbine nacelles (each contains ~ 200 gallons of oil), devaluation of adjacent property, loss of heritage viewscapes, aesthetic degradation, increased accessibility for 4x4s and ATVs, degradation of springs and seeps, and danger from thrown blade fragments (as happened at Allegheny Ridge last spring).

If you value Ice Mountain as part of our natural heritage, then you should oppose converting it into an industrial windplant and you should attend the meeting at the senior center on West Third Street (between the bank and Clay Ave.) on Wednesday at 6pm.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:bluebounce: Our hometown paper has come thru!!! :bluebounce:
Thank you, TYRONE DAILY HERALD :thumb:
BOO on the wind mills made the front page !!!
Just glanced over it... gonna' go read it all and digest !!! :lol:
KEEP THE FAITH FOLKS... KEEP THE FAITH !!!! :mrgreen:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

You know, I've been thinking about this "one on one" meeting thing they are pushing for at this "meeting." You folks are right about this, the more I think about it. First of all, I don't understand how they are going to accomplish a "one on one" if there are a lot of folks showing up. Secondly, they are invading our turf... they shouldn't be telling us what kind of meeting they are going to have.... we should be telling them !!!
If it comes down to a "one on one"... others will not know what was discussed, we all need to know what is being discussed and what their answers are.
This should be a "one and only one" meeting, period !!! For all to hear, in front of the whole community.
A "one on one" will only make this thing drag out longer and longer and it will lead to more meetings, and more meetings, in the future. They will try to break our will by offering us something we just can't refuse... they will continue to send out letters that folks cannot decipher properly.
We need to tell these people that this meeting is our meeting and they are invited to hear precisely what we think!!!We need to tell them, with ALL the facts by the experts, that can be backed up by the experts, WHY we do not want them in our area. No if's and's or but's !!! No compromising, no deals, no lease signing... nothing. No more testing or lets do this kinda' stuff... nothing.... We need to have one meeting and one meeting only with these people mainly to tell them we are absolutely not interested !!!
We have to do this or it will keep dragging on meetings after meetings....
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Our hometown paper has come thru!!!
Thank you, TYRONE DAILY HERALD
BOO on the wind mills made the front page !!!
Just glanced over it... gonna' go read it all and digest !!!
KEEP THE FAITH FOLKS... KEEP THE FAITH !!!!

Excellant article, and on the front page too! Don't forget, Saturday's paper is free in outlying areas, such as Warriors Mark, so even more people will get and see this one. Cuddos to the Herald!

I'm a little confused about this "one one one" meeting format. I've never been to one, so how does it work, especially if a large number of people show up?
cruiser1

Post by cruiser1 »

I have talked to some people who stated that they won't go to the meeting due to the one to one format. I urge all to come that can.
Only greed can bring the wind turbines to Ice Mountain. Any other excuse is "Blah,blah,blah."
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

YESSSSS..........FINALLY. GET PI$$ED. Go to the meeting, don't take no for an answer and demand a public forum. Call WTAJ. Call Smitha Rao. I would imagine Greg Bock will be there being as he has been watching and participating in this thread. Make no mistake this council wants the wind farm. Let everyone know that they ( the council )are NOT speaking for the citizens of Tyrone, but have their own agenda. I live in Tipton, I'm an outsider. I've already been told 3 times that my opinion really doesn't matter to the council of Tyrone. It's really quite sad... I do all my shopping in Tyrone...grew up with Tyrone folk....have many family members in town. But it doesn't matter. I pay my taxes to Antis township. However, I do have an opinion. We need to preserve the integrity of Ice Mountain. And don't bother throwing the sewage increases in my face again either... I pay my sewage to the same place the council members do....and I'll sacrifice dollars in sewage increases for the mountain.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Might want to attend this to correct some of the misinformation that Gamesa will be spreading:

"On December 13 (a Thursday morning) at 7:30am, Joshua Framel project developer for Gamesa will speak on "Wind Energy: a promising alternative to our future." This will be presented by the Tyrone Area Chamber of Commerce Breakfast Club at Joe's Place on Old Route 220.
For reservations, call Rose Black at 684-0736 or rose@tyronechamber.com

This info was published in the Saturday (Dec. 1) edition of the Altoona Mirror.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Hey, hey "Something to say"..
Come out anyway and make our day !!! :thumb:

Even though "some" may tell you that your opinion doesn't count because you're not a 16686'er..... as far as we are concerned, these wind mills are going to effect you, and a lot of people throughout this whole area if they are allowed to go in. All who have contributed so much to this board, plus, many others in this area should be able to, at least, voice your opinion. They can't turn you away.... can they ?? We all need each other's support concerning this. Not only do we have to assure these things stay out of Tyrone borough... we also have to assure they make no headway into Snyder and Taylor also. We do not want to buy the farm !!!
I drove by and saw the "sign" today... WOW, to whoever did it !!! It's and eye catcher and certainly was very well done!!! Thank you !!!
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

If you want to make sure a lot of people turn out for the Gamesa meeting - have some fun with it.

Make it a social gathering - an excuse to get together and catch up with friends.

Do some tailgating, cook some hotdogs, hand out some hot chocolate.

This is the championship series - except in this game, the winner gets to keep the trophy for 30 years.

Get your buddies together and go support the home team.

Afterwards hit the Bullpen for a bite to eat.

Do whatever you need to do to get friends and family to this event.

Even if you don't plan on asking any questions - your presence will boost the resolve of those who do.

In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Ice Man wrote:Might want to attend this to correct some of the misinformation that Gamesa will be spreading:

"On December 13 (a Thursday morning) at 7:30am, Joshua Framel project developer for Gamesa will speak on "Wind Energy: a promising alternative to our future." This will be presented by the Tyrone Area Chamber of Commerce Breakfast Club at Joe's Place on Old Route 220.
For reservations, call Rose Black at 684-0736 or rose@tyronechamber.com

This info was published in the Saturday (Dec. 1) edition of the Altoona Mirror.
:huh: That early in the morning, on a weekday, at our Joe's.... :shock: ??? :huh: "Reservations," to be made with our Chamber of Commerce Breakfast Club??? This, a week after the be-no-more meeting with our community at the senior center ?? Hummmmm ....
What's the catch ?? Sounds "special."
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Conan_the_Hoagarian wrote:.

If you want to make sure a lot of people turn out for the Gamesa meeting - have some fun with it.

Make it a social gathering - an excuse to get together and catch up with friends.

Do some tailgating, cook some hotdogs, hand out some hot chocolate.

This is the championship series - except in this game, the winner gets to keep the trophy for 30 years.

Get your buddies together and go support the home team.

Afterwards hit the Bullpen for a bite to eat.

Do whatever you need to do to get friends and family to this event.

Even if you don't plan on asking any questions - your presence will boost the resolve of those who do.
I agree with the Hoagarian 100%. Be at the Senior Center on W 3rd St on Wed at 6pm or forever hold your peace.
yertle

Post by yertle »

I need a favor.

I can't attend the meeting on Wednesday - but I was hoping one of you folks could ask a question for me.

I heard that the word "Gamesa" is spanish for "Snake Oil".

Can someone please confirm that with the company rep - Josh Framel.

Thanks.
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

`
There was a lot of talk this morning at church about the windmills.
Most of the people I spoke with said they were attending Weds. night.
Sounds like there's going to be a good turnout.

I like the sports analogy. :D

Go Tyrone! Beat Gamesa! :flag:

Stop The Spanish Imposition

Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

ICE MT INDUSTRIAL WINDPLANT VOTE:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=859
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Tyrone Borough Councilman Bill Latchford will vote 'YES" to converting Ice Mt into an industrial windplant according to an article in the Business section of today's Altoona Mirror. The article states that Councilman Latchford claims that the benefits of converting this "unique" County Natural Heritage Area into an industrial windplant outweigh the negatives.

This forum has provided answers to the following questions over the last 32 pages:

What is industrial-scale wind energy development?
What is the wind energy potential in the Appalachian mountain region?
Who benefits from industrial wind energy development? Who pays?
How does/will wind energy development affect our electricity grid region (PJM)?
What is the application and approval process for an industrial wind plant?
What is a Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) law and how does wind energy factor into it?
Are the RPS goals of PA and neighboring states attainable?
How is the cost of electricity to the consumer affected by wind energy?
How much electricity is produced by industrial-scale wind plants, and how does their seasonal and annual output compare with that of conventional power plants?
How will grid managers compensate for the intermittent nature of wind turbines?
How much wind energy can be realistically integrated into our grid region?
Will widespread deployment of industrial-scale wind plants bring a substantive net change in energy capacity?
Does wind energy offset the use of fossil fuels?
Does it reduce carbon dioxide emissions or human air quality-related health risks?
Does utilizing wind energy reduce our dependence on foreign oil?
What are the key ecological impacts of industrial wind plants?
How will the public issues of aesthetics, noise and light pollution, property devaluation and access loss be handled?
Are the wind industry’s claims about jobs and economic benefits accurate?
Are there viable alternatives to land-based, industrial-scale wind energy?
What locations in PA are targeted for industrial wind plants?

Since Councilman Latchford's been participating in this forum, perhaps he could try to sway our viewpoint by sharing some of the "benefits" of this scheme and telling us why they outweigh the costs.