Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks for the above info. Ice Man !! I would like to share a few things that I encountered over the past few days just by mentioning the "wind mill" subject to a few fellow Tyroner's. One individual said, "Oh, I thought that was already taken care of and they voted against them." Another thought they were not going to be anywhere near this area so we won't have anything to worry about. Most did not even know where Ice Mountain is. All thought that our electric bills will come down. Few said we need to start somewhere. Overall, there are still many folks in our town unaware of what is happening here. There are some who don't care, are showing no concern... just shrugging their shoulders because they do not understand. Those that don't care, will be the first one's to complain after the fact, IF, after the fact happens !! One mentioned, why are they so worried about killing bats ?? I asked, do you realize how many insects a bat kills in one evening ?? They help in controlling the insect population so that we don't have to depend on toxic chemicals to take care of them. Do you realize that they are not like rabbits, one bat produces only one offspring per year ?? They could become extinct in no time. Hey, they were listening... When I mentioned that we actually have eagles flying over the area now, they were totally surprised. Some didn't even think eagles existed anymore. Hey, they were listening...
Anyway, long story short... these were only a few people, who I might add have been Tyroner's all their life (50 and more years old) paid their taxes, never rocked the boat, and always put their trust in whoever ran the show.
If most of this wind mill scenerio can be explained a little bit at a time, they understand it better and listen more closely. Some still think these wind mills are the do-it-yourself'ers that people put up in their yards and not realizing that we are talking "turbines" here.
I believe with more public awareness on what is really happening here, there would have been more than the 1,400 signatures on that petition.
Things are getting better and thank goodness the public has, at least, been given a chance to try and understand more before a vote is taken.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:Thanks for the above info. Ice Man !! I would like to share a few things that I encountered over the past few days just by mentioning the "wind mill" subject to a few fellow Tyroner's. One individual said, "Oh, I thought that was already taken care of and they voted against them." Another thought they were not going to be anywhere near this area so we won't have anything to worry about. Most did not even know where Ice Mountain is. All thought that our electric bills will come down. Few said we need to start somewhere. Overall, there are still many folks in our town unaware of what is happening here. There are some who don't care, are showing no concern... just shrugging their shoulders because they do not understand. Those that don't care, will be the first one's to complain after the fact, IF, after the fact happens !! One mentioned, why are they so worried about killing bats ?? I asked, do you realize how many insects a bat kills in one evening ?? They help in controlling the insect population so that we don't have to depend on toxic chemicals to take care of them. Do you realize that they are not like rabbits, one bat produces only one offspring per year ?? They could become extinct in no time. Hey, they were listening... When I mentioned that we actually have eagles flying over the area now, they were totally surprised. Some didn't even think eagles existed anymore. Hey, they were listening...
Anyway, long story short... these were only a few people, who I might add have been Tyroner's all their life (50 and more years old) paid their taxes, never rocked the boat, and always put their trust in whoever ran the show.
If most of this wind mill scenerio can be explained a little bit at a time, they understand it better and listen more closely. Some still think these wind mills are the do-it-yourself'ers that people put up in their yards and not realizing that we are talking "turbines" here.
I believe with more public awareness on what is really happening here, there would have been more than the 1,400 signatures on that petition.
Things are getting better and thank goodness the public has, at least, been given a chance to try and understand more before a vote is taken.

Thanks for your work M2C!!

Let your friends know about the upcoming SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN public forum on Wednesday, March 26, at TAHS!

http://jvas.org/news_hot.html

http://jvas.org/news_save_ice_mtn.html

Also give them these references:

http://jvas.org/cc_lwfbc.html

http://jvas.org/ibasites/Issues_Wind_Kotala.pdf
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Ice Man wrote: Let your friends know about the upcoming SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN public forum on Wednesday, March 26, at TAHS!

http://jvas.org/news_hot.html

http://jvas.org/news_save_ice_mtn.html

Also give them these references:

http://jvas.org/cc_lwfbc.html

http://jvas.org/ibasites/Issues_Wind_Kotala.pdf

By the way, along with what Ice Man has mentioned above, please take note that there is only one more weekend left, in case you are contemplating writing a "Letter to the Editor" and having it published in the Tyrone Daily Herald prior to the March 26th forum. It would be a good way to get folks out to the forum so they can get a better understanding of things.
Also note, there are only 5 weekends left for submitting a "Letter To The Editor" prior to the April 22nd Primary Elections. As mentioned in a previous post by sandstone, an informal survey will be taken at the voting booths during that time. People still need to know,and understand, everything possible before that time.
I called the Herald Office this week and obtained the following information for submitting a "Letter To The Editor."
1. Letters have to be in on Thursday, before close of the work day @ 5:00 P.M., in order to be published on Saturday of the same week.
2. Letters received later than Thursday will be published the Saturday of the next week.
3. Letters must be 500 words or less.
4. Letters are published on Saturdays only.
5. All letters must have your signature and phone number included.
6. Signatures must be able to be deciphered.. otherwise, write your signature, then print your name clearly off to the side.
7. Unsigned letters will not be published.
8. Letters can be FAXED to the following number, 684-4238. (ATT: Christina).
9. Letters can be mailed to the following address;
The Daily Herald
ATT: Christina
P.O. Box 246
Tyrone, PA 16686
Your name will be published, your phone number will not be published.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Behavioral responses of bats to operating wind turbines

February, 2008 by Jason W. Horn, Edward B. Arnett, Thomas H. Kunz

Summary:
ABSTRACT: Wind power is one of the fastest growing sectors of the energy industry. Recent studies have reported large numbers of migratory tree-roosting bats being killed at utility-scale wind power facilities, especially in the eastern United States. We used thermal infrared (TIR) cameras to assess the flight behavior of bats at wind turbines because this technology makes it possible to observe the nocturnal behavior of bats and birds independently of supplemental light sources. We conducted this study at the Mountaineer Wind Energy Center in Tucker County, West Virginia, USA, where hundreds of migratory tree bats have been found injured or dead beneath wind turbines. We recorded nightly 9-hour sessions of TIR video of operating turbines from which we assessed altitude, direction, and types of flight maneuvers of bats, birds, and insects. We observed bats actively foraging near operating turbines, rather than simply passing through turbine sites. Our results indicate that bats 1) approached both rotating and nonrotating blades, 2) followed or were trapped in blade-tip vortices, 3) investigated the various parts of the turbine with repeated fly-bys, and 4) were struck directly by rotating blades. Blade rotational speed was a significant negative predictor of collisions with turbine blades, suggesting that bats may be at higher risk of fatality on nights with low wind speeds. (JOURNAL OF WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT 72(1):123-132; 2008)

http://www.bu.edu/cecb/wind/video/Horn_et_al_2008.pdf
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:Thanks for the above info. Ice Man !! I would like to share a few things that I encountered over the past few days just by mentioning the "wind mill" subject to a few fellow Tyroner's. One individual said, "Oh, I thought that was already taken care of and they voted against them." Another thought they were not going to be anywhere near this area so we won't have anything to worry about. Most did not even know where Ice Mountain is. All thought that our electric bills will come down. Few said we need to start somewhere. Overall, there are still many folks in our town unaware of what is happening here. There are some who don't care, are showing no concern... just shrugging their shoulders because they do not understand. Those that don't care, will be the first one's to complain after the fact, IF, after the fact happens !! One mentioned, why are they so worried about killing bats ?? I asked, do you realize how many insects a bat kills in one evening ?? They help in controlling the insect population so that we don't have to depend on toxic chemicals to take care of them. Do you realize that they are not like rabbits, one bat produces only one offspring per year ?? They could become extinct in no time. Hey, they were listening... When I mentioned that we actually have eagles flying over the area now, they were totally surprised. Some didn't even think eagles existed anymore. Hey, they were listening...
Some of the people you mentioned might learn about industrial windfarms at this evening's presentation in Bellefonte:

Tuesday, March 18, 6pm, Centre County Planning Commission, Bellefonte

Laura Jackson will present a 20 – 30 minute program on wind energy to the Centre County Planning Commission in Bellefonte. The meeting starts at 6 pm in the Willowbank County Office Building. This is a followup visit to Stan Kotala’s excellent presentation in February. It is anticipated that Gamesa’s SandyRidge Wind Project Director Josh Framel will be in the audience.

Willowbank County Office Building
420 Holmes Street
Bellefonte PA 16823-1488

Directions
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... te+PA&om=1

Laura Jackson is a science educator who recently retired from teaching environmental science and advanced biology at Bedford High School, in Bedford, Pa. She is now the director of Bedford’s Environmental Center. She has received many local and state teaching awards, including the NSF Presidential Award for Science Teaching and the Pennsylvania Outstanding Conservation Educator of the Year Award. Numerous grants have enabled her students to monitor local watersheds, participate in stream rehabilitation projects, and improve habitats for wildlife. She has presented many community programs on nature, photography, and conservation. For the last 2½ years she has researched industrial wind energy and its impact on human and wildlife communities.

Ms. Jackson is the chairperson of Save Our Allegheny Ridges (SOAR), a grassroots organization dedicated to the preservation and protection of the historic, natural, and scenic integrity of Pennsylvania’s Allegheny Mountain ridges. Energy companies are constructing wind turbines on Pennsylvania’s mountains that fragment the forests, destroy wildlife habitat, and kill birds and bats. Our forested mountains sustain critical ecosystems that are threatened by this industry. SOAR members are active in educational efforts to help residents understand the real impact of wind turbines in rural communities, as well as working with government officials to develop ordinances to regulate wind turbine development on our forested mountains.

SOAR does not oppose wind energy when properly sited. Areas such as reclaimed strip mines, brown fields, and agricultural areas may be suitable for wind turbines, if sufficient pre-construction monitoring is conducted to determine environmental impacts.

More information about SOAR and industrial wind can be found on the Web site, http://www.saveouralleghenyridges.com.

Written comments may be submitted to SOAR, P.O. Box 178, Everett, PA 15537.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Only if you're speaking of War and Peace Banksy. If so, above all, let there be peace. "How Much Land Does A Man Need ?" I think I saw Pahom walking around here, but, I don't believe there are any Bashkirs.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Anyone read Kris Yaniello's article "In My Opinion" on this subject. I read it twice looking for actual opinion, but really didn't see his opinion.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Darn it !! As much as I wanted to, I am so disappointed... I never was able to get a Letter To The Editor written in time for publishing in this upcoming Saturdays paper !! I hope the community will realize that facts, proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, will be presented by professionals at this forum on Wednesday evening.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that some folks wrote in.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Hey, who needed a letter to the editor ?? We made the front page and the headlines in todays paper. Great write-up and a reminder to folks about the forum Wednesday evening. Many people in our community do not have a computer and know nothing about all the valuable information that has been presented on this board by professionals in the know. Many are still going by hear-say and gossip. There are still folks, set in their ways, believing these windmills will power Tyrone and our utility bills will decrease. Many don't even want to hear about trees and CO2, wildlife and run off... the bottom line, all they care about is, "their light bill".... If wind mills are allowed on Ice Mountain, ignorance will not be bliss in this case. I hope those that do have doubts and/or questions will attend the forum. Tyrone has too much at stake... 30 years of forest devistation (with a quick fix) and wind mills is a long time... and what happens after 30 years ?? More tearing down of the trees that have been trying to grow, after the first time around, so the wind turbines can be hauled out of there ?? I don't think so... I would be willing to bet, if we allow them in there, they will stay there forever.
Besides, within 30 years... the world will find the answer to efficient, clean energy. Most likely it will be solar... maybe nuclear.... it won't be wind turbines. People all around the world are starting to see that now... for them, it's too late. They can (try to) shut them down, but, it would take many, many, years to bring back their land to where it was at one time. Typical example, among many others; Great Britain.
Mother Nature is watching and waiting.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Altoona Mirror letter to the editor

In a recent letter, Robert Kutz could not understand why conservation groups like the Little Juniata River Association, Save Our Allegheny Ridges, and Juniata Valley Audubon Society are not “embracing” wind energy. The reasons are simple and numerous once you pull back the “green curtain” the industry hides behind.

Hundreds of miles of forested mountain tops would be destroyed to construct access roads and infrastructure in order to generate the amounts of energy from wind currently being touted by the Rendell administration. These unfragmented forests are some of the last strongholds for many of our animal and plant species. They also contain thousands of clean small headwater streams that feed our streams, rivers and reservoirs.

Mr. Kutz refers to wind energy as being quiet. I wonder if some of the folks living near Blue Knob would agree. He also states that wind is cost-efficient. Is he aware that studies have shown that existing turbines in Pennsylvania are only about 30% efficient and that they hardly produce any energy at all during the windless summer months? And since the industry receives about $2 million from taxpayers for each $3 million turbine, can this really be deemed cost-efficient?

The bottom line is wind is not cost-effective or practical in Pennsylvania. In the western states, yes but not here. Solar and nuclear power along with mandated conservation should be encouraged. By the way, I think I saw Mr. Kutz’s “beautiful red hawk” get hit by a truck while soaring along I-99.

Gary Miller :flag:
Bellwood
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

If that's Bob Kutz the union-guy from Altoona and frequent WRTA caller, there's only two real reasons he's all for wind energy... Union jobs and Gov. Rendell.

He is a full blown, unabashed Democrat and ardent Rendell supporter and all his initiatives. Remember, Rendell is the one who brought in Gamesa and, along with the legislature, continues to feed taxpayer money to the pro-wind companies.

In my opinion, Bob Kutz is so full of crap that his eyes are brown.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:If that's Bob Kutz the union-guy from Altoona and frequent WRTA caller, there's only two real reasons he's all for wind energy... Union jobs and Gov. Rendell.

He is a full blown, unabashed Democrat and ardent Rendell supporter and all his initiatives. Remember, Rendell is the one who brought in Gamesa and, along with the legislature, continues to feed taxpayer money to the pro-wind companies.

In my opinion, Bob Kutz is so full of crap that his eyes are brown.
Yes, the author of the letter backing industrial windplants was union leader Robert Kutz, and he identified himself as a union head in Altoona.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

In addition to this public forum in Tyrone on Wednesday evening, WRTA 1240 am, Altoona will be broadcasting a live radio panel discussion tomorrow ( Tuesday, March 25th ) from 4 pm to 6 pm.

Guests include:

Dr Stan Kotala, who will be a speaker at Wednesday's forum;

along with Jill Stahl, a land owner effected by the Wind Turbines on Blue Knob;

Tim Vocht, Sr Project Developer for Gamesa ( currently in charge of the Sandy Ridge project );

and Frank Mozano of Gamesa.

Calls from the public are encouraged during the panel discussion at 946-0435.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:In addition to this public forum in Tyrone on Wednesday evening, WRTA 1240 am, Altoona will be broadcasting a live radio panel discussion tomorrow ( Tuesday, March 25th ) from 4 pm to 6 pm.

Guests include:

Dr Stan Kotala, who will be a speaker at Wednesday's forum;

along with Jill Stahl, a land owner effected by the Wind Turbines on Blue Knob;

Tim Vocht, Sr Project Developer for Gamesa ( currently in charge of the Sandy Ridge project );

and Frank Mozano of Gamesa.

Calls from the public are encouraged during the panel discussion at 946-0435.
Frank Mozano is a misspelling. The correct spelling is Frank Maisano, one of the most highly paid lobbyists in the nation. It's interesting that Gamesa and Babcock and Brown are paying one of the energy industry's wealthiest and most notorious lobbyists to counter two local people, Stan Kotala and Jill Stull, neither of whom are being paid for their work to protect our community. Here's some information on Frank Maisano:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... nk_Maisano
Frank Maisano
From SourceWatch
Jump to: navigation, search
Until it folded in 2002, Frank Maisano worked for the Global Climate Coalition, an industry front group fighting against reforms to slow down and prevent industry pollution contributing to global climate change. He was a member of the Potomac Communications Group, whose other clients include Con Edison, the Edison Electric Institute, the Nuclear Energy Institute, the U.S. Department of Energy, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. He was then media strategist and spokesman for the Electric Reliability Coordinating Council (ERCC), an anti-EPA lobby group for coal-burning utilities. He has also apparently worked for MTBE manufacturers. In April, 2006, E magazine interviewed Maisano, reporting that he is now working with Bracewell and Giuliani, whose clients have included the ERCC along with energy giants Enron, Chevron-Texaco, Pacific Gas & Electric, Dynegy, and Southern Company. Since 2005, Maisano, representing Bracewell and Giuliani, has provided PR work for industrial wind energy developers in the mid-Atlantic states, particularly those targeting the Allegheny Front in West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... nk_Maisano