Things I Miss About Tyrone

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Dirty dogg

Post by Dirty dogg »

Born in a holler,Football on sundy at shae field,(Shea stadium stoners)gettin hammered on high school path,dances football games,skippen school at resavoir park,skippen class at the grave yard path,hangen out downtown cruisen the hardman or holden up a parken meter,parties at Deckers or north wood cabin,spotten late at night and nailen the big ones,(still got 3 on the wall from those days}campin out the first day of trout season,(some idiot would allways bring a pair of shorts and jump in,it was funny watchin them try to breath in that cold water)muzzies hole,big rock,the 4th quarrie rock on a hot summer day.AAAAHHHH the days of my youth.A little differant from yalls I reckon.Town still means the same to all of us though,HOME!!!!!!!!

Beach Biker:Do you remember a cop named Scott Beck?Heard he was in politics in our home state.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

You listed a few good memories - many of which I experienced from both sides of the law! :? :oops:

Sure, I remember Scott (his real full name was Thomas Scott Beck, he went by his middle name). I worked with him for several years. He came to work with us as a part-time officer while attending Penn State, then later took a full-time position. Married a Tyrone woman, a few years older than him, schoolteacher.

He's now the External Affairs Executive Assistant for South Carolina Attorney General Charlie Condon. And a good Republican; he served as the District 83 State House Representative and on the House Judiciary Committee prior to that. He's obviously lasted a little longer in politics than he did in Navy pilot training (which was about less than a week, if not mistaken). :roll: :wink:
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Here is a little further information about Scott Beck, from a South Carolina State House of Representatives Resolution:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOUSE RESOLUTION

The following was introduced:

H. 4540 ... A HOUSE RESOLUTION TO EXPRESS THE APPRECIATION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES TO THE HONORABLE THOMAS SCOTT BECK OF NORTH AUGUSTA, SOUTH CAROLINA, FOR HIS YEARS IN THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY AS THE ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE OF HOUSE DISTRICT 83, AND TO RECOGNIZE HIS HARD WORK AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA AND TO AIKEN COUNTY.

Whereas, The Honorable Thomas Scott Beck has served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from May 21, 1996, until February 1, 2000; and

Whereas, Representative Scott Beck has ended his legislative career on a high note by being named the Legislative Liaison and Special Assistant to South Carolina Attorney General Charles M. Condon; and

Whereas, Thomas Scott Beck was born on October 5, 1958, in Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania, and is the beloved son of Raymond L. and Donna K. Beck; and

Whereas, Scott Beck graduated from Penn State University with a Bachelor of Science Degree and received his Juris Doctor in 1999 from the University of South Carolina; and

Whereas, he is the devoted father of two children, A.J. and Nicole; and

Whereas, Representative Beck's devotion to public service began in 1993, when he was elected to the North Augusta City Council; and

Whereas, he is a respected business leader having served on the Aiken County United Way Board of Directors and Executive Committee from 1993 through 1996, the Aiken County Chapter of the American Red Cross Board of Directors, and the North Augusta Boxing Club Board of Directors; and

Whereas, during his tenure as a respected and admired member of the House of Representatives, Representative Scott Beck served on the following standing committees of the House: Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Committee and Judiciary Committee; and

Whereas, Representative Beck has ably represented the citizens of Aiken County and his dedicated efforts have been appreciated by the members of the Aiken County Delegation, his fellow lawmakers, and his constituents; and

Whereas, we, the members of the House of Representatives, along with the citizens of Aiken County, wish our good friend the very best in all his future endeavors. Now, therefore,

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives:

That the members of the South Carolina House of Representatives express their appreciation to The Honorable Thomas Scott Beck of North Augusta, South Carolina, for his years in the General Assembly as the elected Representative of House District 83, and recognize his hard work and contributions to the State of South Carolina and Aiken County.

Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be presented to The Honorable Thomas Scott Beck.

The Resolution was adopted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess113_199 ... 000203.htm
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

For whatever incarnation it's name was, the Downtowner Restaurant intown on Pa. Ave. I remember sitting in there with my dad and brothers (mother wouldn't go, thats where my dad hung out at) and begging for money to pllay the jukebox from the booths. That was cool back then to sit where u were eating at and leaf thru the selections and choose what you were going to listen to while eating ( or watching dad drink coffee and b***sh*** with the guys).

Also, the Magik Mart at the "S" turn. I remember waiting each week for their shipment of new comic books to come in. At the time you COULD buy for your parents, we would beg to go buy some cigs for dear ol' dad so we could rifle thru the new books and decide which ones to buy. I knew they made a ton-a-money off me with my book buying (LOL). I still have most of them even to this day.

Well just came across those memories and decided to share them........i KNOW there is lots more where they came from
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I forgot about the Downtowner.....did it used to be called "The Fiesta" as well at some point? I can't believe nobody mentioned the bowlling alley yet...I loved the bowling alley.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Better than any hangout was Cemetery Football on the weekends. We either played the scruffs or Bellwood. There was more hard hitting at the Cemetery in the 80s than there ever was on the football field.

Good times... concussions... Jim Payne knocked in the woods.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Jim Payne is one of the funniest guys on planet Earth....and possible Mars as well.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Hey Terry,

How did your reunion get together turn out? Did you have a good time?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Well, I ddn't make it in. My wife and I were in Orlando for a vacation and we came back on Friday, but with the 4-drive after the flight in, I just didn't make it.

I haven't heard how many came, etc, but hope to hear soon.
Dirty dogg

Post by Dirty dogg »

BeachBiker wrote:Here is a little further information about Scott Beck, from a South Carolina State House of Representatives Resolution:

HOUSE RESOLUTION

The following was introduced:

H. 4540 ... A HOUSE RESOLUTION TO EXPRESS THE APPRECIATION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES TO THE HONORABLE THOMAS SCOTT BECK OF NORTH AUGUSTA, SOUTH CAROLINA, FOR HIS YEARS IN THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY AS THE ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE OF HOUSE DISTRICT 83, AND TO RECOGNIZE HIS HARD WORK AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA AND TO AIKEN COUNTY.

Whereas, The Honorable Thomas Scott Beck has served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from May 21, 1996, until February 1, 2000; and

Whereas, Representative Scott Beck has ended his legislative career on a high note by being named the Legislative Liaison and Special Assistant to South Carolina Attorney General Charles M. Condon; and

Whereas, Thomas Scott Beck was born on October 5, 1958, in Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania, and is the beloved son of Raymond L. and Donna K. Beck; and

Whereas, Scott Beck graduated from Penn State University with a Bachelor of Science Degree and received his Juris Doctor in 1999 from the University of South Carolina; and

Whereas, he is the devoted father of two children, A.J. and Nicole; and

Whereas, Representative Beck's devotion to public service began in 1993, when he was elected to the North Augusta City Council; and

Whereas, he is a respected business leader having served on the Aiken County United Way Board of Directors and Executive Committee from 1993 through 1996, the Aiken County Chapter of the American Red Cross Board of Directors, and the North Augusta Boxing Club Board of Directors; and

Whereas, during his tenure as a respected and admired member of the House of Representatives, Representative Scott Beck served on the following standing committees of the House: Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Committee and Judiciary Committee; and

Whereas, Representative Beck has ably represented the citizens of Aiken County and his dedicated efforts have been appreciated by the members of the Aiken County Delegation, his fellow lawmakers, and his constituents; and

Whereas, we, the members of the House of Representatives, along with the citizens of Aiken County, wish our good friend the very best in all his future endeavors. Now, therefore,

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives:

That the members of the South Carolina House of Representatives express their appreciation to The Honorable Thomas Scott Beck of North Augusta, South Carolina, for his years in the General Assembly as the elected Representative of House District 83, and recognize his hard work and contributions to the State of South Carolina and Aiken County.

Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be presented to The Honorable Thomas Scott Beck.

The Resolution was adopted.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess113_199 ... 000203.htm
Appreciate the info hope i run into him some day.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Yesterday, when I was freezing cold, (beach biker I know you don't understand that word, freezing, anymore but stay with me here)... I had a couple of thoughts about good ole Tyrone. Remember the long days spent at the Outdoor pool... Back in the "day" you were allowed to have inner-tubes! The high dive was always a good thing too! The concession stand was stocked with goodies and all your friends were there! Rain or shine...
Or how about days that you just didn't feel like going to the pool so you grab some plastice and an old pair of sneakers and head to the creek to build a dam! Many a days we spend in the creek, sun up to sun down building a dam.
Those were the days my friends!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Fishin man....and night fishin....that's another thing I remember. I used to fish with Bill Miller all summer long.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

Wow, now there was a flashback......or is it part of the post concussion syndrom? Football on sunday afternoon, starting at noon and running all day long until @ 5pm. Yes John, there was more hitting going on there than anywhere. Were you there the day Steve Dutrow (God Bless his soul) was hit into the woods and came out with the fishing hook in his hand? That must have been one of Banksy's?.....LOL We played many teams from the area in all those years....Bellwood, Alexandria, Blandsburg, Altoona, Huntingdon, Cresson, Stoners (they were their OWN lil' community) and Philipsburg. As Archie Bunker used to sing...."those were the days!"

Speaking of bowling alleys, who in Tyrone DIDN'T spend time out there? I bowled with John and Kevin for years in Junior bowling as the "Sizzling Six". Rock and bowls, playing arcade games, pool, etc was the mainstays out there. Having the prom afterglows out there was GREAT! I was there working the last few years West End Lanes was in operation and i can tell you from first hand experience it was on its last legs. After years of mismanagement, the machines were old, outdated and pieced together. The roof needed repair and so did the foundation. Every spring thaw we had AT least an inch of water down back in the machine room. Thats not mentioning the one night working onTOP of the machines while 7 inches of water was all around you AND the electrical stuff!! But the bowling alley will always be BARNEY'S PLACE to me. He taught me many things that i do NOT use today while bowling. Sorry Barney i tried!

Thats it for now.......more flashbacks coming......LOL
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Beck wrote:Yesterday, when I was freezing cold, (beach biker I know you don't understand that word, freezing, anymore but stay with me here)... I had a couple of thoughts about good ole Tyrone...
And in my case, yesterday was spent cruising on my Harley from one end of the beach to the other and all over the place otherwise, from the time I got off work at noon until after dark, in just a tshirt and jeans.

Today, the wife, dogs, and I just got back from grabbing a pizza and sitting at a seaside pavilion having a picnic - in shorts and tshirts.

I had "a couple of thoughts about good ole Tyrone" yesterday and today too. But they were more based on winter-type activities, and those thoughts didn't last long.

I miss many of the same or similar things that have been mentioned so far in this discussion, and more. But I really don't miss most of the winter-associated memories.

That is one reason I did like living in Northern California - the first long-term move I had made after leaving Tyrone for good. Where we lived out there, just north of Sacramento, you could pick your seasons in a matter of less than an hour.

In the winter, it would stay mild during the day but be snowing like mad in the mountains beside us. Many folks would go water skiing during the day, then travel 5 miles and go snow skiing through the evening.

In the summer, it would be hot but barely any humidity during the day - and it never rained from late April until late October. You could do just about any outdoor activity at any time - yet the snow was still in the mountains almost all year round.

It would have been nice to have those options and choices climate-wise in Tyrone...
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Hey guys.. How about this memory jogger.. Sally's Corner in East Tyrone.. Best steak sandwich I ever ate and it was only a buck.. In '73.. and the old steak house where vicky Wike's place is now?? That should jog some more memories.. :( :)