Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Ice Man »

Behind pudgy smiling Opie-like Josh Framel resides the sinister side of Gamesa:

Wind farm operator wants judge to toss civil lawsuit

By Phil Ray, pray@altoonamirror.com POSTED: June 19, 2008

HOLLIDAYSBURG — The owner of a 100-acre wind farm in Juniata Township, Blair County, and three townships in Cambria County has asked a judge to dismiss a civil lawsuit filed by property owners complaining of noise and vibrations from the giant turbines.

Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm LLC of Philadelphia said a court ruling in favor of a husband and wife complaining about the noise could “open the judicial floodgates to any neighbor to sue a wind farm after construction based on the wind farm’s mere existence.”

Dr. Todd Stull and his wife, Jill, in early May filed a lawsuit asking the court to order Gamesa Energy USA LLC, which installed the turbines, and Allegheny Ridge, which owns the farm, to abate the noise and vibrations coming from the blades on each of the 40 turbines.

The Stulls live a half-mile from the wind farm and said they moved to that area almost 20 years ago “seeking a quiet, rural setting where they could raise their children, enjoy the outdoors and retire to a tranquil setting.”

The wind farm began operation a year ago, and the sound of the blades cutting through the air, they said, sound like an aircraft and has interfered with their sleep, causing “stress and anxiety.”

In the past two days, Gamesa and Allegheny Ridge have filed petitions seeking court dismissal of the lawsuit, denying that the wind farm is noisy and stating that the company has governmental approval to operate the farm.

No date has been set for a hearing, but the companies are asking Blair County President Judge Jolene Kopriva to dismiss the lawsuit as unfounded.

In papers filed Wednesday by Pittsburgh attorney Richard W. Hosking on behalf of Allegheny Ridge, the company contends that the noise level from the farm amounts to 70 decibels, which “equates to the noise of an average radio or normal street noise.”

The company said when Gamesa and Allegheny Ridge went before Juniata Township supervisors and state authorities for permission to erect the wind farm, nobody protested.

Now, Hosking said, after 40 windmills have been constructed, the Stulls have brought a lawsuit complaining of the noise and vibrations.

Hosking said the company always admitted there would be noise.

The Stulls disagreed, stating that Gamesa and Allegheny — a fully owned subsidiary of Philadelphia-based Gamesa USA — when approaching government, said there would be no noise. This is why the Stulls never protested the turbines.

In addition, Allegheny Ridge said governmental approval to install the turbines bars lawsuits based on a claim that they are a public nuisance.

“The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has repeatedly held that, where a project has been authorized by a legislatively mandated process, it cannot be the subject of a public nuisance claim,” Hosking said.

Juniata Township, he stated, passed three ordinances regulating — and approving — the windmills.

Mirror Staff Writer Phil Ray is at 946-7468.

Notable quotes:
1 “The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has repeatedly held that, where a project has been authorized by a legislatively mandated process, it cannot be the subject of a public nuisance claim,” Hosking said.

2 "The company said when Gamesa and Allegheny Ridge went before Juniata Township supervisors and state authorities for permission to erect the wind farm, nobody protested."

by Bill Latchford on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 pm

As much as I didn't want to pop back in here I just had to....I spent 5 hours today walking through snow and knocking on doors up in the Portage / Blue Knob area. If my mind weren't already made up it is most certainly solidified now. At every stop of my ride through the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm...There was not one point where I could not hear them. At some times ever so faint and at the worst of times it made me pity the people whom have to suffer with the Wind Turbines. I put around 12-18 miles on my car in just this area. I spoke to several people and did not ask their names. I wanted them to know what I was doing and did not want them to feel I would expose them to the media or the like. I will tell you that in some spots where I did not see the turbines because of the fog, I could hear them even better. Some people will say that you can hear them because you can see their movement, sort of a psychological thing. But guess what I could not see them because of the fog and the noise was there...My last stop was a very interesting and pleasant surprise. I introduced myself and the person said she knew me, because of the posts on here. I should add that before she answered the door, I was just amazed at how these things towered over the mountain in front of their home. Then to hear them was so surreal. It really does sound like a jet plane circling overhead. I thought it was an exaggeration, until I heard it myself. Then the blades start to pitch and turn into the wind again to make the best of the blowing winds and you can hear the metal to metal adjustments and then as the blades pitch and they thump through the air until they are in position. Then after all that you are back to the jet plane effect. Now while I was there I was expressing my pity that they have to put up with that, only to find out this was a calm day in comparison to how it can get. Even though the Turbine slated for Tyrone are decently far away from Tyrone proper, I feel it would be a serious disservice to our Snyder Township neighbors to let this go through. I was everywhere from 2000 feet to 1.2 miles maybe a touch further in some cases and could hear these giants. Though I am one who thinks they look majestic blowing in the wind. I for one will take this as a hindsight is 20/20 test and not put our citizens or Snyder Townships citizens through such an ordeal that these folks up in Portage / Blue knob area are going through. All is fine in our community now, let’s just leave things well alone and learn from other's misfortune. My many many heartfelt thanks to those who shared their day and time, and property with me today. I learned a great deal and will certainly ask all other Council Members here in Tyrone to make another trip to hear these Giants from a distance. I have an open invitation and I certainly hope I can get some of the other Council Members up there. Thanks "InMyBackYard"

Bill Latchford
http://www.protectchildrenonline.org
Bill Latchford

"Gamesa's engineers will be on site tomorrow and the noise problem will be corrected within 48 hours."
Ellen Lutz, Gamesa Mid-Atlantic Director of Development, Tyrone Senior Center Gamesa Open House, December 5, 2007

MUNICIPALITIES BEWARE!
sammie

Post by sammie »

Ice Man,

Thanks for posting this disgusting, but not surprising, info showing just how much Gamesa really cares about the communities where they develop.
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by sandstone »

sammie wrote:Ice Man,

Thanks for posting this disgusting, but not surprising, info showing just how much Gamesa really cares about the communities where they develop.
Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:42 pm

inmybackyard wrote:
Well, its been a while since I have updated my own personal (and sometimes public) experience with Wind Industry. I refuse to call them "wind farms", for it is nothing similiar to a farm where things grow. Also, they are not "windmills", they are very large machines and they continue to have an effect on the communities in which they have been irresponcibly placed. Yes our Noise issue continues and nothing (are you surprised?) definitively has been done by Babcock and Brown, or Gamesa. We actually were hopeful when a B&B representative left our Juniata Township meeting, and came to our property to listen. He was surprised at how loud it was, referring it as a roar, saying he would report this to the Company. Not only did they not repond to a letter sent by our Solicitor, he also didn't bother to attend the next meeting, or have any follow-up. Low and behold this same rep was at the Portage Township meeting (as were we..lol) and when he was questioned, he stated it was an "Industrial Noise", and refused to comment on the volume he heard. So,we waited for him after the meeting to say, can't we work this out? His reponse was that the company (B&B) just wants us "to go away".
There you have it , big business at its best. Make no mistake, they do not care about my family, my neighbors, my home.........or YOU.
I will be at the ice mountain meeting in march, if not only to make sure they know,
I am not going anywhere.

Did you see the letter to the editor in the Altoona Mirror last week from Gamesa's project developer Alyssa Edwards stating that their industrial wind turbines are no louder than a refrigerator? Did you see where it said "Gamesa conscientiously sites and properly designs its wind farms and always has and will value residents' input."? Do you agree with that?

Gamesa must think that Blair County residents live in some kind of isolation from each other and the rest of the world. Kay Stephens of the Mirror has reported extensively on the noise problems at the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm. It's THE major issue at the proposed Chestnut Flats Wind Farm. Everybody knows about it, and yet Gamesa now denies that the problem even exists! Even Gamesa's Ellen Lutz at least acknowledged the problem in December! Now the company says that there is no problem!

And from today's Mirror: "In papers filed Wednesday by Pittsburgh attorney Richard W. Hosking on behalf of Allegheny Ridge, the company contends that the noise level from the farm amounts to 70 decibels." :huh: Duh! The Juniata Township ordinance limits the windplant to 45 deciBels!

So, do you still think that Gamesa is "a reputable company?" Not only are they underhanded, nasty, and disreputable, but their lawyer is an idiot: He admits that the windplant emits noise at 70 dB and simultaneously claims that the lawsuit has no merit even though the ordinance limits windplant noise to 45 dB!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

- It doesn't sound to wise to admit that sound levels are above the ordinance stated mandate does it? In either case there is a point to be made. I of course live in Tyrone and in front of my house each evening this week I have measured the sound with a CEI Instruments Impulse Sound Level Meter, which has given me readings of 55db to 65db consistently. Now when the mill is letting off its steam or whatever it is I get readings of 65db to 70db and I am over on Oak Street past the S turn. So I am easily around a mile away. I am used to the noise and I am sure that Allegheny Ridge was a lot quieter before the Turbines went in. The only place I see the problem is where the Stulls live. It seems to me that that placement of turbines was not thought out very well. The other locations I listened to while running around up there were, to me, insignificant to what the Stulls have going on at their location. I would not say that 55db to 65db is a bad thing since I put up with it 24/7. But for the Stulls, who probably had 40db or less all the time, before the turbines, this is certainly intrusive to them.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

If you are able to go out there and take all those "sound (db) readings," with your handy dandy little "CEI Instruments Impulse Sound Level Meter," (did I get that right ?)... anyway, if you are able to do that and present it here on this board... I don't understand why they bother spending thousands and thousands of dollars on "sound expert(s)" to come in to tell the people that are being effected by the noise that the sound is within limits. Is this the same kind of instrument these experts use ?? Wow, with all those decibles you measured coming from "the Mill" area, plus all those potential decibles that will be coming from Ice Mountain, ( if a lease is signed and those monstrosities are drug up there ) you ought to have yourself quite an orchestra going on around you. Enjoy !!! Take care !!! Good Luck !!!
P.S. Where did you get your "CEI Instrument Impulse Sound Level Meter" ?? I think everyone should have one of those.
BTW, people choose to live where they want to. Some people are lucky enough to be able to find a quiet place to live that is away from the hussle and bussle of the city. They chose that life and they "were" very happy with what they had. This is their home... their peace and quiet... something that they have always dreamed of. They are citizens of the United States of America. They have worked hard and have paid their share of taxes. This kind of thing, which is being forced upon them, is effecting their life and well-being. This should never be allowed to happen to anybody. They know what "noise" is !! No matter what the "decibles" are !!!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I think that was the point I was trying to make...We choose the places we live for a reason. I am guessing the Stulls enjoyed their peace and quiet and now that is being messed with by something that was supposedly not supposed to mess with that peace and quiet. I really don't see why it is so hard to shut those turbines that are impacting that peace and quiet down while this is being disputed. They really do have an impact on the Stull's lives.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

From wearecentralpa.com

http://wearecentralpa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1221

wee101

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008

these things are loud if the wind is in the right direction and a night when it is quite i cant even hear my coonhounds when hunting sometimes. thank god for a tracking system and best of luck to the stulls
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

[quote="My2Cents"]They chose that life and they "were" very happy with what they had. This is their home... their peace and quiet... something that they have always dreamed of. They are citizens of the United States of America. They have worked hard and have paid their share of taxes. This kind of thing, which is being forced upon them, is effecting their life and well-being. This should never be allowed to happen to anybody. /quote]

Not sure you should go there... considering America was founded by displacing, murdering, and destroying the culture of the Native Americans who were here before the Pilgrims invaded.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

But.... but.... Banksy, dem there folk didn't have 'lectricity or a CEI Instruments Impulse Sound Level Meter eater. Weeze talkin' 'bout now... not da good 'ole days. Back den, they could hear 'em commin' !!!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Well, you can deflect it all you want, but regardless it's a matter of fact. I'm not sure why so many have to bash Bill on his comments. He's the one council person addressing in dialog and he is entitled to his opinion.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

This is true, he is entitled to his opinion, I agree Banksy... :thumb:
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

banksy wrote:
My2Cents wrote:They chose that life and they "were" very happy with what they had. This is their home... their peace and quiet... something that they have always dreamed of. They are citizens of the United States of America. They have worked hard and have paid their share of taxes. This kind of thing, which is being forced upon them, is effecting their life and well-being. This should never be allowed to happen to anybody. /quote]

Not sure you should go there... considering America was founded by displacing, murdering, and destroying the culture of the Native Americans who were here before the Pilgrims invaded.
However, history is not law.

The law gives greater regard to the person who lived there first. This is demonstrated in this recent case (and Tyrone Township has NO noise restriction/ordinance):

Judge tells Amish: Quiet down

By Phil Ray, pray@altoonamirror.com POSTED: March 11, 2008

HOLLIDAYSBURG — A Blair County judge has ruled that an Amish family in Sinking Valley can continue to operate a sawmill, a furniture-making business and a dog kennel but must take steps to limit noise that disturbs the neighbors.

Judge Tim Sullivan’s order Monday also banned use of the sawmill on weekends, legal holidays and Christmas Eve.

He also ordered the family, led by Noah Hostetler and his wife, Mary, of Box 272, Tyrone RD 1, to take steps to create a sound barrier around the dust blower at the furniture factory, either by installing industrial silencers or constructing a ‘‘rigid wall lined with absorbent material’’ around the blower.

Sullivan did not find that the dog kennel constituted a private nuisance under the law, but he ordered the Hostetlers to obey state dog laws in the operation of their kennel.

The Hostetlers have 60 days to comply with the order.

The restrictions, Sullivan said, ‘‘should allow [the neighbors] some guaranteed quiet time [relative to the sawmill operation] in which to have private use and enjoyment of their respective properties.’’

He said his order should in no way impair the Hostetlers ability to support themselves and their families.

Neither attorney James N. Bryant of Centre County, representing the Hostetlers, nor Steve Wicks of Altoona, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of the Hostetler neighbors, were available for comment Monday.

Two neighbors had mixed feelings about the ruling.

Bonnie Mauk, who has lived in her Sinking Valley home for 30 years, said she was pleased with the rulings on the sawmill and blower but upset with the decision not to impose additional restrictions on the dog kennel.

She said the dogs represent a major disturbance in the rural area.

‘‘I can’t stand to live like this,’’ she said, noting she wants to appeal the lack of action concerning the dogs. ‘‘I don’t want to shut anybody down and stop anybody from making a living.’’

Another neighbor, Betty Shearburn, said she agreed with the judge’s decision on the saw mill and blower, but she said The dogs bark day and night.

Sullivan visited the area and watched a video of the sights and sounds from the Hostetler property.

He ruled although he was able to hear the barking, it did not rise to the level that would justify legal sanctions against the Hostetlers.

Fact Box
The rules
Under Blair County Judge Tim Sullivan’s ruling:
— The sawmill can operate from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and cannot operate on weekends, legal holidays and Christmas Eve.
— Industrial silencers or a newly constructed wall must be used to quiet a blower at the Amish furniture factory.
— The dog kennel must be operated within state law.
— The order must be complied with within 60 days.

The Stulls have a high liklihood of prevailing in court because the Gamesa turbines 1/2 mile from their home are causing noise >70 deciBels at their home. The Juniata Township (where the Stull family lives) windplant ordinance limits wind turbine noise to 45 deciBels measured at a residence.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

banksy wrote:
My2Cents wrote:They chose that life and they "were" very happy with what they had. This is their home... their peace and quiet... something that they have always dreamed of. They are citizens of the United States of America. They have worked hard and have paid their share of taxes. This kind of thing, which is being forced upon them, is effecting their life and well-being. This should never be allowed to happen to anybody. /quote]

My2Cents wrote:But.... but.... Banksy, dem there folk didn't have 'lectricity or a CEI Instruments Impulse Sound Level Meter eater. Weeze talkin' 'bout now... not da good 'ole days. Back den, they could hear 'em commin' !!!
banksy wrote:Well, you can deflect it all you want, but regardless it's a matter of fact. I'm not sure why so many have to bash Bill on his comments. He's the one council person addressing in dialog and he is entitled to his opinion.
ohhhhhhh........ I get sooooo tired of this song and dance. America was settled just like every other nation was settled. Read your history. I have nothing against "Native Americans" but I sure do get tired of hearing about how "we" killed, raped, and plundered. I didn't have a d*mn thing to do with it. If you feel so bad that you're sitting on land that maybe shouldn't belong to you, or was taken from someone else...........give it away. And while you're at it....maybe you can resolve the other national gripe......send the poor souls that were captured and enslaved back to their native countries. ( oh that's right...you can't...they're all dead ...hey...but you can save their decendants ) My people came from Scotland centuries ago..... I didn't ask them to.... and although I would like to visit someday ....America is my home. I'm not a Scottish American.... I don't hate my ancestors for coming here and I don't yearn for the life I might have had if they stayed and I was born there.

NOW...what in the h*ll does that have to do with anything that's being spoken of in this thread??? The Stull family has a legitimate gripe. I am sickened from the crap I've read in the Altoona Mirror and wearecentral ... it's as if people think they deserve the noise because they could afford to live out there in the first place. Gamesa owes those people the common courtesy of fixing the problem they have caused. THEY promised they would, nevermind the legal issue. Reputable Company........pffffffttttttttttt.

And furthermore... I haven't seen anyone bash Bill any harder than he's bashed others. When ya put yourself out there....you're putting yourself out there. The fact is...... Bill has not always been consistent or straightforward, both being attributes I expect from politicians...even local council people. None of this is new news...it's all been said before. He said, she said, they said, ....it's all been said, repeatedly.

I had hoped this issue would be over long ago... the petition should have been the end of the road for Gamesa. But...money talks...chit walks....and those windmills are coming in. Gamesa's link on this forum has always sounded like a done deal to me... proposed ?, what proposed ?...they ...like all rich corporations... know exactly what they're doing and what to say to towns that are struggling financially. Dangle a million bucks in front of their faces and game is over. ( Reminds me of the prize fighter that throws the fight for the money .....selling his pride )
Gamesa wins.
SCORE: Gamesa...billions. Tyrone...1.2 million and a town divided. Hope its all been worth it.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

RE: Minutes of April 16, 2008 Meeting

On April 16, 2008 the following members of the Pennsylvania Wind Farms & Wildlife Collaborative met or phoned into the meeting at the Rachel Carson State Office Building in Harrisburg:

John Quigley (DCNR), Greg Czarnecki (DCNR), Courtney Lane (PennFuture), Doug Gross (PGC), Tracey Librandi Mumma (PGC), Kerry Campbell (DEP), Jeff Schmidt (Sierra), Tim Schaeffer (Audubon), Ron Ramsey (TNC), Tim Maret (PABS), John Anderson (BP), Bob White (AES), Alyssa Edwards (Gamesa), Greg Fuller (Iberdrola), David Day (PFBC), Sally Just (DCNR), Blayne Gunderman (Acciona), Dave Friend (US Wind Force), Elana Richman (Sierra Club), Amanda Emerich (Sierra Club), Cindy Tibbott (USFW), Bob Morgan (PFBC)

Energy Independence Update:
Courtney Lane provided a brief update on the Governor’s Energy Independence Strategy.
o She indicated that House Bill 2200, the energy conservation bill, and Special Session House Bill 1, the $850 million funding bill, still await action by the Senate and have not moved.
o She stated that action on the bills would most likely be folded into the budget process. This would mean an end of June/early July timeframe for passage.

Pennsylvania Game Commission Report:
Tracey Librandi Mumma gave a report on the status of the Game Commission’s voluntary wind energy agreement.
As of 4/16/08, the Commission has seen a total of 76 total wind projects. Of those projects 45 are owned/developed by companies that have signed onto the agreement and 21 sites are owned/developed by those who have not signed yet.
o She stated that these projects can be at the very early stage and the numbers are constantly changing due to projects being combined, abandoned, etc. or new ones being announced.
There has also been cooperation with the wind industry and many developers have undertaken site mitigation and/or avoidance activities.
o Avoidance: 2 sites abandoned because of wildlife issues
o Minimization efforts by developers have included:
§ using existing roads instead of creating new ones when possible
§ locating projects at least 5 miles from known hibernacula
§ eliminating planned turbines on raptor migration routes and/or moving turbines off escarpment to minimize raptor impacts
§ reducing the size of project area
§ avoiding existing forested habitat to maximum extent
Some projects are also considering curtailment.
The annual report is expected to be completed in late May or June.
Members of the Collaborative asked whether the Fish and Boat Commission was working towards a voluntary agreement for their species. A Fish and Boat representative indicated that no decision has been made about whether they should proceed with such an agreement.

I am simply amazed. There has been SOME cooperation with the wind industry regarding development on State Game Lands. Gamesa was present at this meeting. 2 sites ABANDONED because of wildlife issues. Locating at least 5 miles from known hibernacula and eliminating planned turbines on raptor migration routes.

Hmmm......... I could have swore I read a report somewhere that states that Ice Mountain has been deemed a Natural Heritage Area and is EXCEPTIONAL IN CONSERVATIONAL VALUE. I'm wondering WHY Ice Mountain isn't being treated in the same regard as some of the state forests.

Hmmm. So.....in other words....they will adhere...albeit reluctantly no doubt... to State owned land and/but make up for it on land owned by small municipalities. ( We will prey upon them and desecrate their mountain ridges because ( we can )they are ....ummm....how can I put this nicely....let's just say needy. )

Sandstone... am I interpreting this correctly ?
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Something to say wrote:RE: Minutes of April 16, 2008 Meeting

On April 16, 2008 the following members of the Pennsylvania Wind Farms & Wildlife Collaborative met or phoned into the meeting at the Rachel Carson State Office Building in Harrisburg:

Pennsylvania Game Commission Report:
Tracey Librandi Mumma gave a report on the status of the Game Commission’s voluntary wind energy agreement.
As of 4/16/08, the Commission has seen a total of 76 total wind projects. Of those projects 45 are owned/developed by companies that have signed onto the agreement and 21 sites are owned/developed by those who have not signed yet.
o She stated that these projects can be at the very early stage and the numbers are constantly changing due to projects being combined, abandoned, etc. or new ones being announced.
There has also been cooperation with the wind industry and many developers have undertaken site mitigation and/or avoidance activities.
o Avoidance: 2 sites abandoned because of wildlife issues
o Minimization efforts by developers have included:
§ using existing roads instead of creating new ones when possible
§ locating projects at least 5 miles from known hibernacula
§ eliminating planned turbines on raptor migration routes and/or moving turbines off escarpment to minimize raptor impacts
§ reducing the size of project area
§ avoiding existing forested habitat to maximum extent
Some projects are also considering curtailment.
The annual report is expected to be completed in late May or June.
Members of the Collaborative asked whether the Fish and Boat Commission was working towards a voluntary agreement for their species. A Fish and Boat representative indicated that no decision has been made about whether they should proceed with such an agreement.

I am simply amazed. There has been SOME cooperation with the wind industry regarding development on State Game Lands. Gamesa was present at this meeting. 2 sites ABANDONED because of wildlife issues. Locating at least 5 miles from known hibernacula and eliminating planned turbines on raptor migration routes.

Hmmm......... I could have swore I read a report somewhere that states that Ice Mountain has been deemed a Natural Heritage Area and is EXCEPTIONAL IN CONSERVATIONAL VALUE. I'm wondering WHY Ice Mountain isn't being treated in the same regard as some of the state forests.

Hmmm. So.....in other words....they will adhere...albeit reluctantly no doubt... to State owned land and/but make up for it on land owned by small municipalities. ( We will prey upon them and desecrate their mountain ridges because ( we can )they are ....ummm....how can I put this nicely....let's just say needy. )

Sandstone... am I interpreting this correctly ?
The Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) report you referenced above pertains to all industrial windplant projects whose developers have signed the voluntary agreement with the PGC. This pertains to PRIVATE, as well as public, land. So far, there has been NO industrial windplant development on State Forests (DCNR) or State Game Lands (PGC). The PGC does NOT consider industrial windplant development to be consistent with the conservation objectives of State Game Lands. In adddition, federal law prohibits permanent structures such as industrial wind turbines on ANY State Game Land that was purchased, in whole or in part, with Pittman-Robertson Act funds (the Pittman-Robertson Act imposed a 10% federal tax on hunting/fishing equipment and has been a steady source of revenue for wildlife conservation for 60 years!). :flag:

The DCNR is considering opening State Forest land to industrial windplant development, but with strict guidelines. Were Ice Mountain part of a State Forest under the DCNR's jurisdiction, then it automatically would be rejected as a windplant site because of its County Natural Heritage Area status, its Important Bird Area status, and its designation as a High Risk Site because of raptor migration.

Remember, the agreement that those windplant developers signed with the PGC is VOLUNTARY. The windplant developers do NOT have to abide by the PGC recommendations.