Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Something to say
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Something to say »

From http://www.sandyridgewindfarm.com
CALL TO ACTION

Residents Tell Borough to Act on Lease

On April 22, Tyrone Borough residents made an important decision --- as a community --- to be a leader in helping to shape America’s clean energy future. By a wide margin, voters turned out to show their support for Gamesa’s proposed Sandy Ridge wind farm, a 50-megawatt renewable energy project designed to produce enough electricity to power 15,000 homes.

(400 People voted against the windfarm on Ice Mountain on a survey and 1400 people signed a petition against the windfarm on Ice Mountain.)

Nearly three months later, however, Tyrone Borough Council members still haven’t acted on the proposed lease that 55 percent of voters said they wanted. The lease offered by Gamesa would pay the borough as much as $150,000 each year, or between $3 million and $5 million, including royalty payments, over the 30-year life of the project.

(The Bait!? )

Moreover, wind energy annually can offset tons of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide, which are produced by traditional energy-generating sources. That’s like planting a forest each year, and it helps us achieve our goal of improving air quality and reducing the harmful effects of global warming.

(How about the cons of a wind farm on Ice Mountain, Gamesa...those that are conveniently not posted on your website?)

Keep in mind that Tyrone Borough Council asked for the survey. Residents did their part by turning out to vote; it’s time that council does its part, too.

(That statement has a very negative undertone to it. Council isn't acting fast enough for you? )

The next council meeting is July 14. Please contact your borough council members and urge them to vote on the lease --- just as you asked them to do April 22 --- so that we can create a stronger economy, a safer world and a cleaner environment by supporting energy that is domestically produced and less polluting.

( domestically produced? domestically produced? lol.. )

Webster... URGE:
1. to push or force along; impel with force or vigor: to urge the cause along.
2. to drive with incitement to speed or effort: to urge dogs on with shouts.
3. to press, push, or hasten (the course, activities, etc.): to urge one's escape.

From the Tyrone Herald, July 16

".......... Framel said that his intentions are not to push the borough into making a decision, but at the same time, he wants to be as proactive as he can be.

(Umm...Ummm....NOT PUSHY? Just a tad contradictory,,, ain't he??)

"I think all of the council members are informed (on the project)," stated Framel. "I think they have the public's opinion also, so now we just need someone to move forward."

( This man reminds me of the wizard of OZ...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
What about the 1400 signatures on the petition? What about the 400 people who said NO to the development of a windfarm on Ice Mountain on the suryvey? Shall we just pretend those people don't exist?
Council SHOULD take ALL the numbers into considertion. I don't know...maybe Im stoopid. I just can't get it into my head that 500 yes votes is greater than 1400 + 400 no votes.)
Last edited by Something to say on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
salaman

Post by salaman »

Not all of the polling places in the borough were manned all day by someone asking for a vote on the Gamesa lease. I have talked to several people who voted first thing in the morning when the polls opened. There was nobody there to ask their opinion on the lease. I have to wonder how many more did not get the opportunity. One guy I know in East Tyrone was really upset. What a shame!
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks to you both !! Something to Say, I too have been reading their web site, which changes every so often, and noticed the latest condesending remarks made towards our council. Is this a preview of coming attractions ?? We should be telling them, not them telling us, what the next step should be, and when it should be taken. Who are they to come into our nice, peaceful, quiet community and tell us to "URGE" our council into signing the lease so that they can get started ?? There is something very wrong with all this. This is a low blow towards our elected council. I do hope that our council is reading these posts and taking all into consideration.
If we don't stop them here... someone will stop them along the way... it's only a matter of time. By then, ridgetops will be torn up across our state and we will be left with the clean up.
Yes, wind is fine... but, not anywhere around here.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:Yes, wind is fine... but, not anywhere around here.
You gotta be careful in the way you say things. Saying that windpower is fine, but not around here, makes you sound like a NIMBY (Not In My BackYard). There are very strong reasons why Ice Mountain is an inappropriate site for a windplant:

1. Blair County Natural Heritage Area
2. Municipal water supply area
3. County-designated Greenway
4. Important Bird Area (Allegheny Front IBA, #84)

Areas where windplants are appropriate are defined at http://jvas.org/cc_lwfbc.html

Also see http://pa.audubon.org/news_20060119.html
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Ice Man wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Yes, wind is fine... but, not anywhere around here.
You gotta be careful in the way you say things. Saying that windpower is fine, but not around here, makes you sound like a NIMBY (Not In My BackYard). There are very strong reasons why Ice Mountain is an inappropriate site for a windplant:

1. Blair County Natural Heritage Area
2. Municipal water supply area
3. County-designated Greenway
4. Important Bird Area (Allegheny Front IBA, #84)

Areas where windplants are appropriate are defined at http://jvas.org/cc_lwfbc.html

Also see http://pa.audubon.org/news_20060119.html
Thanks Ice Man... I appreciate the correction and thankful you understood what I was trying to convey. I certainly do not want to sound like a NIMBY. I am so glad that Tyrone has folks such as you, along with the others, who know the facts and are able to get the point across without any question. 99.9% of the time what is said on here concerning our Ice Mountain is exactly what I'm thinking but I sometimes have one heck of a time trying to convey it !! Once again, thank you and if I do something like that again please feel free to correct me.
BTW... thanks for the above web site links. Very informative.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote:
Ice Man wrote:This event described below occurred on private land near to but north of the protected area containing the famous Dolly Sods... The story comes from the current newsletter of the Friends of Blackwater Canyon, a non-profit conservation group which is focused on northeast WV (http://www.saveblackwater.org).

Tragedy at Dolly Sods

We recently heard from William H. “Marty” Martin, one of our favorite researchers. Marty has been studying the life cycle of the timber rattlesnake for 25 years. He regularly visits several dens that have been in existence on the Allegheny Front for thousands of years — to check on the emergence of snakes in the spring. Marty had been concerned about the possible disruption of the snake dens by the construction of the NedPower Industrial Wind Turbines, but he was assured that the dens, located in rock piles, with crevasses going into the earth, would not be disturbed.

When Marty returned to his study site this Spring, this is what he found: “It is finished. There is nothing left to save. The nicest part of the entire Allegheny Front is gone — a victim of mountaintop removal for “green energy.” The center of the study area — what I called the middle knoll where you could look north about 150 meters to Wildcat Rocks– is now a pad for a turbine. This was a globally rare environment– the scrub oak heath barren grading to a red spruce stand on Wildcat Rocks itself.

"As you know, the area was the site of a long-term study on the Timber Rattlesnake [MARTIN. W. H. 2002. Life history constraints on the Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) at its climatic limits. Pp. 285-306 in G. A. Schuett, M. Hoggren, M. E. Douglas, and H. W. Greene (Eds.) Biology of the Vipers, Eagle Mountain, Utah]. I have never experienced anything like this. A civilized people would not do this. The maps that I saw showing the location of proposed turbines did not show any turbines on the study sites. To me this is a personal 9/11 — millions of years of natural history now destroyed.”

Here at Friends of Blackwater, we oppose the standardless and unregulated siting of industrial wind turbines. Why? Because, as Marty Martin’s story so vividly shows us, without strict regulation of wind turbine siting, the unique ecology of the Allegheny Highlands will be destroyed!

Thank you for your continued support of Friends of Blackwater, as we work to protect all of God’s creatures in the wonderful Highlands of West Virginia.

--excerpted in its entirety from the July 2008 newsletter of the Friends of Blackwater

link: http://saveblackwater.org/documents/june2008forweb.pdf (see page 8)
Important points:

1. This was a well-studied site and a KNOWN timber rattlesnake den area

2. Maps provided by the windplant developer showed that no turbines would be built in the den area

The windplant developer ignored or dismissed the scientific evidence.

The windplant developer misled the public regarding industrial turbine location.

Similarly, Gamesa dismisses Ice Mountain's status as a Blair County Natural Heritage Area. Not just any Blair County Natural Heritage Area, but one that is described as UNIQUE and OF EXCEPTIONAL CONSERVATION VALUE in the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory.

Will Tyrone Borough Council respect Ice Mountain's status as a unique Blair County Natural Heritage Area of exceptional conservation value?

by Bill Latchford on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:51 pm
Bill Latchford wrote: I am still for Wind Turbines.... Do the right thing Gamesa and B&B future areas of opportunity for you are watching.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Ice Man wrote:
sandstone wrote:
Ice Man wrote:This event described below occurred on private land near to but north of the protected area containing the famous Dolly Sods... The story comes from the current newsletter of the Friends of Blackwater Canyon, a non-profit conservation group which is focused on northeast WV (http://www.saveblackwater.org).

Tragedy at Dolly Sods

We recently heard from William H. “Marty” Martin, one of our favorite researchers. Marty has been studying the life cycle of the timber rattlesnake for 25 years. He regularly visits several dens that have been in existence on the Allegheny Front for thousands of years — to check on the emergence of snakes in the spring. Marty had been concerned about the possible disruption of the snake dens by the construction of the NedPower Industrial Wind Turbines, but he was assured that the dens, located in rock piles, with crevasses going into the earth, would not be disturbed.

When Marty returned to his study site this Spring, this is what he found: “It is finished. There is nothing left to save. The nicest part of the entire Allegheny Front is gone — a victim of mountaintop removal for “green energy.” The center of the study area — what I called the middle knoll where you could look north about 150 meters to Wildcat Rocks– is now a pad for a turbine. This was a globally rare environment– the scrub oak heath barren grading to a red spruce stand on Wildcat Rocks itself.

"As you know, the area was the site of a long-term study on the Timber Rattlesnake [MARTIN. W. H. 2002. Life history constraints on the Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) at its climatic limits. Pp. 285-306 in G. A. Schuett, M. Hoggren, M. E. Douglas, and H. W. Greene (Eds.) Biology of the Vipers, Eagle Mountain, Utah]. I have never experienced anything like this. A civilized people would not do this. The maps that I saw showing the location of proposed turbines did not show any turbines on the study sites. To me this is a personal 9/11 — millions of years of natural history now destroyed.”

--excerpted in its entirety from the July 2008 newsletter of the Friends of Blackwater

link: http://saveblackwater.org/documents/june2008forweb.pdf (see page 8)
Important points:

1. This was a well-studied site and a KNOWN timber rattlesnake den area

2. Maps provided by the windplant developer showed that no turbines would be built in the den area

The windplant developer ignored or dismissed the scientific evidence.

The windplant developer misled the public regarding industrial turbine location.

Similarly, Gamesa dismisses Ice Mountain's status as a Blair County Natural Heritage Area. Not just any Blair County Natural Heritage Area, but one that is described as UNIQUE and OF EXCEPTIONAL CONSERVATION VALUE in the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory.

Will Tyrone Borough Council respect Ice Mountain's status as a unique Blair County Natural Heritage Area of exceptional conservation value?

by Bill Latchford on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:51 pm
Bill Latchford wrote: I am still for Wind Turbines.... Do the right thing Gamesa and B&B future areas of opportunity for you are watching.
Yeah, do the right thing Gamesa and abandon your plans to ruin a unique BLAIR COUNTY NATURAL HERITAGE AREA of exceptional conservation value. By doing so you will gain the respect of many and bolster your status in the conservation community. Don't blow it!
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote: Yeah, do the right thing Gamesa and abandon your plans to ruin a unique BLAIR COUNTY NATURAL HERITAGE AREA of exceptional conservation value. By doing so you will gain the respect of many and bolster your status in the conservation community. Don't blow it!
It's important to note that no local conservation organization supports the Sandy Ridge Wind Farm proposal. NOT ONE!!

It's opposed by the Moshannon Group of the Sierra Club, Juniata Valley Audubon, the Sinking Valley Watershed Association, and the Little Juniata River Association. These groups, as well as close to 1,500 unaffiliated citizens banded together to form SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Hi folks,

Sure hope you will be able to enjoy some music at the Boulevard Grill on Sunday from 4 – 8. See you there! Laura

Sensible Wind Solutions (SWS) Fundraiser
Boulevard Grill
Johnstown, PA

SINGING FOR SOLUTIONS
A fun afternoon of music, food and friends
Hosted by Bo Moore

Four musical acts will be featured including three local groups and a Pittsburgh band. They include:

¶Mike Ferencak
¶Jenny Drummey
¶Rachel and Bo
¶The Patti Spadero Band

Cost- $10.00 admission
Date- July 20, 2008 from 4:00- 8:00 p.m.

Tickets can be purchased at Boulevard Grill, or by contacting Kim Moore at anoldforest@yahoo.com or 814-418-3964.

All proceeds to benefit Sensible Wind Solutions (SWS)
The mission of SWS is to advocate for the proper placement of industrial wind facilities by moving them from high quality forested areas (as defined by wildlife and conservation groups) to strip mines and fallow fields.

Directions to Boulevard Grill:

I-99 to 56 exit, which is just a few miles north of Bedford, PA

1.56 West through Windber and Richland
2. Merge on US 219N/56W- 1.6 Miles
3. Merge on PA 56W-Johnstown expressway-4.8 miles
4. Bedford St. exit toward PA 271/403 .3 miles
5. Slight right on Bedford St. .1 mile
6. Left on PA 271/Haynes St .3 mile
7. Left on Menoher Blvd/PA 271 .9 mile
8. Slight left on Barnette St .4 mile
9. Left on Southmont Blvd
10. End at 165 Southmont Blvd. in Johnstown

http://www.saveouralleghenyridges.com/
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Gamesa still waiting for Tyrone Borough Council to vote on its proposed Ice Mountain wind farm

July 15, 2008 by Kris Yaniello in TyronePA

Gamesa Energy USA first approached Tyrone Borough about using land to test for wind generation on Ice Mountain back in May of 2006.

Since then, an array of media coverage, public forums, and a public survey brought more attention to Gamesa's proposed 10 to 15 turbine site in conjunction with the proposed Sandy Ridge Wind Farm that stretches into two counties.

The borough's potential wind turbine site is located in Snyder Township, where township supervisors recently passed a wind turbine ordinance regulating turbines that are built in Snyder Township.

Tyrone Borough and Snyder Township will both gain monetary revenue if a wind farm is constructed on the Ice Mountain site. The borough looks to gain between $3 to $5 million off of a Gamesa 30-year lease, and Snyder Township would gain $3,000 per turbine per year, plus permit fees, if any wind company is granted a permit to construct a windmill in the township.
All of the chess pieces are in place for a Gamesa checkmate, but Tyrone Borough Council has yet to put a vote on the table to decide the fate of the proposed wind farm.

Gamesa Project Developer Josh Framel has been involved with Gamesa's proposal to the borough since its inception. Framel once again made his trek from Gamesa's Philadelphia location to Tyrone Monday night to ask council to vote on the Ice Mountain turbine site.

Once again, Framel was turned down by council. Mayor Jim Kilmartin and borough solicitor Larry Clapper informed him that council wants to have all of its members present when voting on the wind farm issue. The council seats will not be full until the September 8 meeting.

On Monday, council was without members Jennifer Bryan and Mark Kosoglow.
Kilmartin would not say if a vote would occur for sure at the September meeting, but he thinks it would be a good idea in terms of understanding Gamesa's side of the project. He said on Monday he received phone calls from undisclosed people wondering where the borough was with the proposal.

"The council hasn't come to a consensus," stated Kilmartin. "We haven't made up our minds on the situation. It's a big deal and we don't want to rush into anything."

Speculation has been in the air about Tyrone Borough being approached by natural gas companies wanting to drill on the watershed property of Ice Mountain, which may have borough officials in a limbo to which topic they should address.

The borough and Framel realize that both can be accomplished together if wanted.

"You could do the gas and wind individually, but you could do them together as well," noted Kilmartin. "The gas is a new thing, and we've been dealing with the windmills for quite some time - it'll be good at some point in the near future for us just to make a decision to go one way or the other - and I think the majority of council feels that way."

Framel has publicly stated that Gamesa has no problems with the borough looking at potential natural gas drilling, in fact, it's in the company's lease agreement that drilling can be done within the wind farm location.

He says it is a separate issue from the proposed wind farm. The main reason why Gamesa would like to see a vote occur on its turbine project, regardless of the outcome, is because the company needs to look ahead and have enough time to order items for the wind farm that would take time to receive.

"We have to put in an order for the actual windmills," said Framel. "The demand is so high that it needs to happen a year or two in advance."
He added, "As we look ahead to what projects we want to put into our pipeline, we need to know by a certain time of the year if we can do it for the next year."

If borough council would vote in favor of constructing the Ice Mountain turbine site, the continuing months that go by without a decision could set the project back another year.

Framel also said that permitting is a factor. The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit is stringent on erosion control and its other elements. Gamesa needs the time to get permit requirements in order if the wind farm is approved by council.

"We think this is a really good project and we'd like to move forward with it," stated Framel. "The wind is better than other places, and we've done a lot of environmental studies that are site specific. We have more information about this potential site than other ones - we think it's very compatible for a wind farm."

The environmental studies such as looking at all of the specific wetlands in the area and the condition of the forest at the site based on Gamesa's and borough forester Paul Noll's input, Framel says makes the Ice Mountain and Sandy Ridge project a higher priority than others within the company.

He said that all of the existing logging roads and the AT&T cable located at the site also contributes to Gamesa's want to construct turbines on the highly accessible property.

Gamesa has a study agreement in place, which is how its test towers were placed on the mountain to conduct wind studies. Framel said Gamesa would like to have an actual commitment from the borough before the company invests more significant funds and resources.

"It has a higher priority just based on the research we put into it," added Framel. "I want it to go forward personally more than anything because I have been talking to the borough specifically proposing a lease agreement for over a year, but we've been talking to the them about a wind farm for a long time - since then, it's just been discussion and the discussion has since tapered off, and there's no decision."

Framel said that his intentions are not to push the borough into making a decision, but at the same time, he wants to be as proactive as he can be.
"I think all of the council members are informed (on the project)," stated Framel. "I think they have the public's opinion also, so now we just need someone to move forward."

He continued, "The people who voted in the public survey at the April 22 primary let council know they wanted something too."

Fifty-five percent of Tyrone Borough registered voters opted for the proposed Gamesa wind farm on Ice Mountain. A total of 1,094 residents took part in the survey.

Web link: http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=11937
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I read somewhere a few weeks ago... for the life of me, I don't remember where. I read that the ones who drill for gas will not drill in any areas that have been designated potential wind turbine sites. You can have one or the other but not both in the same area. Forgive me, I have no idea where I read this... maybe it was only some place around tim-buck-too they were talking about... however, I know I saw this statement somewhere.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:I read somewhere a few weeks ago... for the life of me, I don't remember where. I read that the ones who drill for gas will not drill in any areas that have been designated potential wind turbine sites. You can have one or the other but not both in the same area. Forgive me, I have no idea where I read this... maybe it was only some place around tim-buck-too they were talking about... however, I know I saw this statement somewhere.
I remember reading something like that about a month ago. There was a defined distance for gas well to an industrial wind turbine. I think it was 2,500 feet. The concern was vibrations from the turbine damaging the well. Stan's on the Altoona City Authority's Watershed Protection Committee and he told me that the ACA was discussing this also. I know he said that the proposed wind farm near Horseshoe Curve looked DOA.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Something to say wrote:From http://www.sandyridgewindfarm.com

CALL TO ACTION

The next council meeting is July 14. Please contact your borough council members and urge them to vote on the lease --- just as you asked them to do April 22 --- so that we can create a stronger economy, a safer world and a cleaner environment by supporting energy that is domestically produced and less polluting.

".......... Framel said that his intentions are not to push the borough into making a decision, but at the same time, he wants to be as proactive as he can be.
Gamesa's Framel says that electricity from windplants is "domestically-produced." It may come as a surprise to Josh Framel that all of our electricity is produced domestically and that the US is not dependent on any foreign country for the means to produce electricity. In PA, for example, 35% of our electicity comes from PA's 5 nuclear plants, 55% comes from PA's 30+ coal plants, and 10% comes from miscellaneous sources such as natural gas and hydro power.

Picking on Pickens

We can’t go far these days without being subjected to the plaintive pleas of “former oilman”
TB Pickens. Its on TV, print media, the internet — you name it.
“It’s time to stop America’s addiction to oil!” scream the incessant ads.
“We are importing over 70% of our oil. Wind power is the best way out of this mess.” is the
message in these blurbs, and on the PickensPlan.com website.
Is Mr. Pickens on to something? Has he reached new levels of altruism in paying for all this
education of the public? Unfortunately no on both counts.
To answer whether there is substance to this claim lets look at the facts. To begin with,
only about 1.5% of the electricity produced in the US comes from oil1. Another way to look
at this would be that if 100% of our electricity came from wind power, then we would
reduce our oil imports by only a trivial 1.5%.
Still another perspective is that the US exports considerably more oil than is used for
producing electricity here2.
But what about the other major claim on his website — that switching to natural gas to
power our vehicles will save lots of oil? And what’s that got to do with wind?
His sleight of hand connection is that he claims that wind power will free up more natural
gas to be used for autos. Hmmm.
But in his praises for the benefits of natural gas (e.g. on his website) he goes to lengths to
emphasize that one of the main attractions of natural gas is that we have significant
supplies of it (e.g. “twice the reserves of petroleum” and growing). Hmmm.
The obvious question is that if we have such supplies, then why do we need to do
something to free up some of it? Why can’t there be a natural gas powered vehicle change
over without any convoluted connection to wind power? And if he’s so big on gas over oil,
why isn’t he proposing replacing the 1.5% of oil generated electricity, with gas?
Ahhh, the crux of the matter.
In a recent interview, Mr. Pickens revealed his real motivation: he expects to make at least
25% profit from his Texas wind power venture3! (From the limited information given out
by secretive wind developers, this exceptional return seems to be rather typical.) 25%!
Oh, and while he is aggressively soliciting his wealthy neighbors to use their lands to erect
thousands of wind turbine behemoths, he quite honestly admitted that there would be zero
of these “ugly” beasts on his 68,000 acre spread3. So much for personal sacrifices.
In still another interview he even acknowledged that “the nation would still need gas-fired
generation to serve peaking load and to make up for wind's intermittency."4 Hmmm, so
where’s the significant fossil fuel savings then?
The fact is that wind power does NOT consequently reduce our use of fossil fuels, OR
materially reduce greenhouse gas emissions. So says the National Academies of Science5,
as well as numerous other independent analysts.
— continued on reverse —
Oh, and TB is the founder of “Clean Energy,”6 a company focused on using natural gas to
power vehicles. So if we follow his second advisory, guess who stands to make BIG bucks?
Sigh. Once again, not surprisingly, it’s all about the money. Our money.
So when Mr. P warns us about the “greatest transfer of wealth,” he is really saying that he
wants in on the action.
If Mr. Pickens genuinely wants to help us out of our energy mess, he should use his money
and influence to advocate that we use scientific methodology to analyze the many choices
facing us. The winner(s) would be those that are scientifically sound, financially viable on
their own, and environmentally friendly. Unfortunately wind power fails on all three
counts.
Until that time, all we have here is just another pied piper profiteer.

John Droz, jr.
Physicist and energy expert
Brantingham Lake, NY
315-348-8428

7/19/08
1 - <<http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricit ... m_sum.html>>
2 - <<http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/mcrexus1A.htm>>
3 - <<http://www.fastcompany.com/node/849689/print>>
4 - <<http://www.platts.com/Electric%20Power/ ... 071008.xml>>
5 - <<http://www.nap.edu/nap-cgi/report.cgi?r ... pe=pdfxsum>>
6 - <<http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/>>
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Ice Man wrote:

CALL TO ACTION

Gamesa's Framel says that electricity from windplants is "domestically-produced." It may come as a surprise to Josh Framel that all of our electricity is produced domestically and that the US is not dependent on any foreign country for the means to produce electricity. In PA, for example, 35% of our electicity comes from PA's 5 nuclear plants, 55% comes from PA's 30+ coal plants, and 10% comes from miscellaneous sources such as natural gas and hydro power.

I found that comment...domestically produced... to be quite funny. Framel, of course, is using statements like that to lure the people into accepting Gamesa's proposal by putting some homespun flavor into his pitch. Do they really believe we are so naive and ignorant that we believe our electricity is now being produced elsewhere, or that we wouldn't have the luxury of electricity if it weren't for foreign countries?

Insulting. Do they think they landed in Hooterville?

I hope council does not allow Framel and his company to BAMBOOZLE them. I am impressed that council seems to be contemplating and hasn't allowed Gamesa to PUSH them into a hasty decision. Maybe there is still hope.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Something to say wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

CALL TO ACTION

I found that comment...domestically produced... to be quite funny. Framel, of course, is using statements like that to lure the people into accepting Gamesa's proposal by putting some homespun flavor into his pitch. Do they really believe we are so naive and ignorant that we believe our electricity is now being produced elsewhere, or that we wouldn't have the luxury of electricity if it weren't for foreign countries?

Insulting. Do they think they landed in Hooterville?

I hope council does not allow Framel and his company to BAMBOOZLE them. I am impressed that council seems to be contemplating and hasn't allowed Gamesa to PUSH them into a hasty decision. Maybe there is still hope.
At the Gamesa open house at the Tyrone Senior Center last December, none of the Gamesa representatives had a clue as to the percentage of electricity that is produced from coal, nuclear, natural gas, etc.. They had even less of an idea as to how much Europe relies on nuclear power for electricity. For example, France, Sweden, and Finland get about 80% of their electricity from nuclear power.