Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by My2Cents »

Something to say wrote:Want a petition... I have written one.. I can post or email... and we can all distribute to stores, churches, and/or take to events which we frequent. Lemme know.
YES !!! Please post it... Thanks !!!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

anne onimous1 wrote:I would think that the council should invite the Juniata Audubon to come and speak.....If they are being opened minded about the issue....I am so tired of reading Latchford's rantings....He doesn't know if he's coming or going...Just my opinion...
- They have been before Council...I was disappointed that I had missed the first time in Council chambers, but I did get to hear it at the Gamesa meeting on the 5th of December. They can speak every time, the Tyrone Council meetings are public and there is a public comment session in the beginning of each meeting. So the meeting is not to long, each person is given 5 minutes, and if possible a group is asked to designate a representative to get their point across. I do believe that Council is well aware of JVA's position on this Wind Farm. I know I will listen anytime though, Is there a JVA meeting coming up and is the public invited?
Last edited by Bill Latchford on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Bill Latchford wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Will the noise from the turbines bother those who use Ice Mt for hunting, hiking, etc.?
This is only my opinion, When we went on the tour of the Wind Farm at Allegheny Ridge, I did not find it bothersome to be there. It must not bother some game animals since I have videos from YouTube with wild turkey and deer feeding by a turning wind mill. It will all be up to the individual on how they perceive these giants. Like I have said before...I think they are a very "neat" piece of technology.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Yes, You did not witness this day after day after day......1 day makes you an expert? God bless these people...maybe if they are observing this forum they will make their voices heard................................God Bless Our Souls....
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

anne onimous1 wrote:Yes, You did not witness this day after day after day......1 day makes you an expert? God bless these people...maybe if they are observing this forum they will make their voices heard................................God Bless Our Souls....
I'm assuming that this is directed towards me....I never said I was an expert. What do you mean? I spoke to the people up at the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm, the biggest complaint was the noise. My heart goes out to them, I heard it for myself. So not exactly sure what you are stating with this post.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Bill Latchford wrote:
anne onimous1 wrote:Yes, You did not witness this day after day after day......1 day makes you an expert? God bless these people...maybe if they are observing this forum they will make their voices heard................................God Bless Our Souls....
I'm assuming that this is directed towards me....I never said I was an expert. What do you mean? I spoke to the people up at the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm, the biggest complaint was the noise. My heart goes out to them, I heard it for myself. So not exactly sure what you are stating with this post.[/quote

The droning sound, the day after day sounds,, Don't consider yourself an expert just because you went up there for one day.... ]
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

anne onimous1 wrote:
Bill Latchford wrote:
I'm assuming that this is directed towards me....I never said I was an expert. What do you mean? I spoke to the people up at the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm, the biggest complaint was the noise. My heart goes out to them, I heard it for myself. So not exactly sure what you are stating with this post.[/quote

The droning sound, the day after day sounds,, Don't consider yourself an expert just because you went up there for one day.... ]
I have been up there with a group on one occasion and went up on my own last Saturday to hear what the people had to say for myself and listen to the Turbines on a day that was not so windy. When I went up with the group all you could hear was the wind. I certainly know what you are talking about when you say the droning sound, I did hear that for myself. I was unaware that you are experiencing this yourself...For that I can say I feel bad. It can not be pleasant at all. All I did talk to up there mentioned that the noise was the worst thing they had to deal with and would be much happier if at least that would get fixed. I never claimed to be an expert....I think we went over this a few times.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Below is a petition that you can copy and print out. Attach several peices of blank paper to it and get it out there...If not this one...please, someone, get one started ASAP.

We, the people of Tyrone, petition the Tyrone Borough Council to prevent the windfarm development on Ice Mountain.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has designated the Allegheny Front as a "high risk site" for industrial windfarms because of its importance to migrating raptors. The Allegheny Front, of which Ice Mountain is a part, is the most important fall migration route for golden eagles in the eastern US. Industrial windplants affect golden eagles through direct mortality as well as the inducement of avoidance behavior.

Industrial wind turbines on Ice Mountain will have no effect on air pollution or global warming, and will provide about 2 permanent jobs. These turbines, along with miles of new heavy-duty road, transmission line corridors, substations, and associated infrastructure will significantly degrade an area that is described as "unique" and "of exceptional conservation value" in the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory, one that has been designated a Landscape Conservation Area because of its large expanses of forest free from permanent fragmenting infrastructure.

An admission by a wind industry player conceded that coal-fired power plants are not expected to be significantly curtailed due to construction of "wind farms."

The information above is factual and has been researched by citizens of this community.
There are many articles online and in the news supporting these facts.

We encourage you to visit http://cafe.tyronepa.com.

The mayor of Tyrone, Jim Kilmartin, said hundreds of residents have already voiced their opposition to the turbines.
Please sign our petition and SHOW council that Tyrone does NOT want the turbines, and wishes to maintain the integrity of our Ice Mountain. Please add your number, name, and address or zip.

Council Members serve the Borough to improve the community, preserve its history and plan for its future. Please ask them to serve you in your effort to preserve Ice Mountain.

NAME Address or zipcode Phone ( optional )

Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

At this stage of the game, everyone opposing the Ice Mt windfarm needs to contact every member of the Tyrone Borough Council, write letters to the editor of the Herald and the Mirror, email Mayor Kilmartin, and, most importantly, get an aggressive petition drive going in the borough. Now it's all up to borough residents. According to Councilman Latchford "If you show me one thousand signatures of Tyrone Borough residents on a petition that says they don’t want this wind farm, then that represents a good chunk of the borough. There’s only 1,000 people who vote in the borough, and personally, if you don’t vote you shouldn’t have a say in government business."

The Tyrone Borough Council consists of seven (7) members and the Mayor, who also serves as President of Council. Each member serves a four-year term.

The Borough Council meets twice a month on the first and second Monday. All Council meetings begin at 7:00pm at the Tyrone Borough Municipal Building, 1100 Logan Avenue, and are open to the public.

Borough Council members may be contacted through the Tyrone Municipal Office at (814) 684-1330.

Tyrone Borough Council Members

James Kilmartin - Mayor/President of Council

William Latchford - Vice President of Council
Donald Boytim
Jennifer Bryan
William Fink
James Grazier
Steve Hanzir
Vergie Werner

In his most recent interview with the Herald, Bill Latchford claimed that only 50 borough residents have expressed an opinion on the windfarm proposal.

According to Mayor Jim Kilmartin, several hundred people have emailed, called, or written to him regarding the Ice Mt question and 70% of these comments have opposed turning Ice Mt into a windplant. Presumably, many of these comments were from people outside of the borough.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Bill Latchford wrote:
anne onimous1 wrote:I would think that the council should invite the Juniata Audubon to come and speak.....If they are being opened minded about the issue....I am so tired of reading Latchford's rantings....He doesn't know if he's coming or going...Just my opinion...
- They have been before Council...I was disappointed that I had missed the first time in Council chambers, but I did get to hear it at the Gamesa meeting on the 5th of December. They can speak every time, the Tyrone Council meetings are public and there is a public comment session in the beginning of each meeting. So the meeting is not to long, each person is given 5 minutes, and if possible a group is asked to designate a representative to get their point across. I do believe that Council is well aware of JVA's position on this Wind Farm. I know I will listen anytime though, Is there a JVA meeting coming up and is the public invited?
Juniata Valley Audubon representatives made a presentation to Tyrone Borough Council in the summer of 2006 and again in the summer of 2007. They also sent numerous letters to council members and gave each council member a 1" thick binder full of information detailing Ice Mountain's ecological significance and why it should be saved from development (of any sort, not just windfarm development).

Juniata Valley Audubon programs are scheduled a year in advance. The club is working on at least a dozen other issues right now in addition to the Ice Mt issue. The club's been in existence for close to 40 years and currently has 450 members in Blair, Bedford, and Huntingdon Counties. We offer a bimonthly newsletter, monthly programs, and field trips. See www.jvas.org

Our next program is -

January 15, 2008 — “Finding Nature on the Web”
JVAS vice president Dave Bonta will explain why an on-line habit and a love of the outdoors aren't necessarily incompatible, with a multimedia presentation on nature blogs, photo-sharing sites, nature identification resources, and more.

Audubon programs are generally presented on the third Tuesday of the months September through May except for December. Unless otherwise specified, program meetings begin at 7 p.m. in the chapel at Alto-Reste Park, on Plank Rd., Altoona. Take the Plank Road Exit of Interstate Rt. 99 (Exit 31) and go south toward Wal-Mart. The chapel is on the right, opposite Wal-Mart. As you enter the parking lot, you’ll see two buildings. The meeting room is in the building on the left.

Our programs, designed for a general audience, are free and open to the public.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

So, Let's start with Mayor Kilmartin....He's got the gooods
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

I believe that most folks in town would vote against the turbines if they knew the facts. The trouble is these same people will most likely not get involved by calling and writing letters...etc. However if petitions are laid on every counter in every store in every corner of town....people will do their part and sign it. It's imperative that you get those petitions out there where the people shop, eat, attend church, go to bingo...whatever. When the numbers are then presented to council they have the numbers they are seeking. If they STILL insist on going ahead with the development...then those people are not serving the town...they are serving their own egos. Then I would recommend all h*ll break loose.

We can sit on here and say this should be done and that should be done...but the clock is ticking. IT needs to be done. I am not a resident of Tyrone or I would come lobby myself. GRRRRRRRRRR
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Bill Latchford wrote:As much as I didn't want to pop back in here I just had to....I spent 5 hours today walking through snow and knocking on doors up in the Portage / Blue Knob area. If my mind weren't already made up it is most certainly solidified now. At every stop of my ride through the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm...There was not one point where I could not hear them. At some times ever so faint and at the worst of times it made me pity the people whom have to suffer with the Wind Turbines. I put around 12-18 miles on my car in just this area. I spoke to several people and did not ask their names. I wanted them to know what I was doing and did not want them to feel I would expose them to the media or the like. I will tell you that in some spots where I did not see the turbines because of the fog, I could hear them even better. Some people will say that you can hear them because you can see their movement, sort of a psychological thing. But guess what I could not see them because of the fog and the noise was there...My last stop was a very interesting and pleasant surprise. I introduced myself and the person said she knew me, because of the posts on here. I should add that before she answered the door, I was just amazed at how these things towered over the mountain in front of their home. Then to hear them was so surreal. It really does sound like a jet plane circling overhead. I thought it was an exaggeration, until I heard it myself. Then the blades start to pitch and turn into the wind again to make the best of the blowing winds and you can hear the metal to metal adjustments and then as the blades pitch and they thump through the air until they are in position. Then after all that you are back to the jet plane effect. Now while I was there I was expressing my pity that they have to put up with that, only to find out this was a calm day in comparison to how it can get. Even though the Turbine slated for Tyrone are decently far away from Tyrone proper, I feel it would be a serious disservice to our Snyder Township neighbors to let this go through. I was everywhere from 2000 feet to 1.2 miles maybe a touch further in some cases and could hear these giants. Though I am one who thinks they look majestic blowing in the wind. I for one will take this as a hindsight is 20/20 test and not put our citizens or Snyder Townships citizens through such an ordeal that these folks up in Portage / Blue knob area are going through. All is fine in our community now, let’s just leave things well alone and learn from other's misfortune. My many many heartfelt thanks to those who shared their day and time, and property with me today. I learned a great deal and will certainly ask all other Council Members here in Tyrone to make another trip to hear these Giants from a distance. I have an open invitation and I certainly hope I can get some of the other Council Members up there. Thanks "InMyBackYard"
I cannot imagine that I would enjoy hunting or hiking under the conditions described above.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks for info IceMan... I shall try my best to see if I can get a petition drawn up for folks to sign. The few folks that I even mentioned this to over time, had no clue as to what is involved here and would have gone with the flow. You are right... the people need to be informed and informed soon.
If letters to the editor are submitted... please remember folks that they have to be in by a certain time....when that is I don't know. Also, I'm not positive, but, I think they are only posted once a week (Saturday). Depending when this "council vote" is going to be taken.... if it's in January... there isn't too many Saturday's left for reading letters to the editor on this subject.
sammie

Post by sammie »

The people of Tyrone need the facts. Concerned citizens in Bedford and Somerset Counties sponsored public forums in their threatened communities that brought in large crowds (200 - 300 people). Several experts were invited to speak.including people who live near turbines. You will get good press coverage and the truth will get out.