"Nature Trail"

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

"Nature Trail"

Post by My2Cents »

WOW !! Wait 'til you see tonight's Tyrone Daily Herald !! A huge Thank You to Albemarle Corporation for opening a "nature trail". Sounds like a lot of hard work went into its development !! Fantastic !! Almost unbelieveable !! This is just what Tyrone needs !! I wish I could post the article on here.
Once again, to all involved, (including our Mayor),
THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU !!! :thumb:
twinsmom

Re: "Nature Trail"

Post by twinsmom »

Here is the article from today's paper. We are looking forward to walking this trail during the beautiful PA seasons! :D

Albemarle Corporation opens 3/4 mile 'Nature Trail' in Tyrone

By KRIS YANIELLO
Staff Writer
July 30, 2008

The Albemarle Corporation in Tyrone held a ribbon cutting yesterday afternoon for the opening of its "Nature Trail" that follows a 3/4 mile long loop of deciduous forest, open meadow, and wetlands.
The trail is located above the Albemarle plant on Back Vail Road, where a pull-off is available for visitor parking to enjoy a walk through nature.
With 50 acres of wetlands formed by a beaver dam located on Cook Hollow Creek, the Nature Trail provides habitats for a variety of plant and tree species. The location also provides plenty of wildlife, such as the whitetail deer, red fox, bobcat, and native birds like turkey, blue and green heron, raptors, ducks, and the red tail hawk. The occasional frog, salamander, and turtle may also cross the path of a visiting walker.
The public entrance to the trail has a gate to keep out four-wheeler enthusiasts, but it is always open for the public to enjoy. There is also an entrance for Albemarle employees to access on lunch breaks or before and after work.
It's impossible to get lost on the Nature Trail due to its path's being in a loop. There's the Meadow Loop, Beaver Dam Loop, and a Return Loop. The trail also features five bridges constructed by the Amish from the Lock Haven area, a Beaver Pond Observation Deck, and an Education Center that will eventually have enough benches to seat 40 people.
In the near future, Albemarle plans on developing another bridge, two more observation decks, additional benches, and a picnic area. The corporation also owns another 35 acres across the road that they plan on developing similar to the existing trail.
Albemarle has received plenty of assistance and cooperation from its corporate office in Baton Rouge, LA, employees, the public, PA Game Commission, state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), and the PA Fish and Boat Commission. Permits were required through DEP and the game commission have worked closely with the company to make the trail the safest and best it can be.
Tyrone resident and "Naturally Speaking" columnist Mark Nale was one of the community members who assisted in making the trail a reality. The project has been in the making for 15 years, and back in the mid 1990s, he and his sons cleared the trail twice after the design was laid out.
"It's great that they're getting it finished and opening it," said Nale. "I think it's a great place to observe nature and take a walk to get a little exercise - it's a nice, safe environment."
He added, "It's really a good thing for the community to have, and very different from say something like Reservoir Park."
The Nature Trail has also produced a possible Eagle Scout Project for one Tyrone boy who is a part of St. Matthew's Catholic Church Boy Scout Troop 300. Ryan Isenberg wants to put signs up throughout the trail that will label "points of interest," such as different tree and plant species, the beaver pond, forest succession, and butterfly fields.
Ryan also plans on putting three picnic tables in the picnic area, a visitor parking sign at the pull-off to the entrance of the trail, and benches for the Education Center. He is going to present his project to his scout council, and wait on a decision before beginning his proposed project.
Yesterday, Albemarle turned in an application to have the trail certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council in Baltimore to keep the location a non-developed property, so that buildings can't be constructed on the site.
Albemarle Environmental Health and Safety Manager Ivan Riggle pointed out that the trail will be an ever-evolving project that he hopes will always become a better and better experience each year. He was grateful for all the support that came with the trail project from everyone involved.
"We have a history of folks at the plant being outdoorsmen, fishermen, and hunters, and we've been pushing for this for more than 15 years," said Riggle. "We just want to give back to the community, and I want my kids and grandkids to come out here and walk this trail."
Riggle noted that Albemarle had a core team of around 28 people involved with the project, but he said that as people walked the trail, they found that it's more than what they expected.
"They become enthusiastic about it," said Riggle. "So I think we're going to have plenty of help, and if anybody has any ideas about things to do in the future, we welcome them."
Albemarle also has a Pollinator Garden located near the Guard House that goes along with the new "nature" look at the plant. Plans are in the mix to build another garden that employees of the plant take the time to maintain.
The Albemarle Corporation wants to provide an educational and recreational opportunity for the community with the opening of its Nature Trail. There's nothing like it of its kind in Tyrone, and it will be something that will continue to improve and expand.
"You can see when you walk through the trail, it's like you're stepping into another world," said Riggle. "You can make it a short or long walk."
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Kudos to Albemarle.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Has anyone been on this yet? I was by there the other day and couldn't find it. Maybe I didn't go past the plant far enough (I assume you have to go past the plant, because I didn't see anything before it).
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

SoccerMom wrote:Has anyone been on this yet? I was by there the other day and couldn't find it. Maybe I didn't go past the plant far enough (I assume you have to go past the plant, because I didn't see anything before it).
The trail is located above the Albemarle plant on Back Vail Road, where a pull-off is available.
Leep

Post by Leep »

Ah, please don't anyone get the wrong idea. I'm not dissing the nature trail..(dissing, just read that in a Jeffrey Deaver book)..But unless my memory is getting flighty or I've just spent too much time in the west, 3/4 of a mile nature trail loop seems a bit short...
Growing up and hunting in that area and down at Hundred Springs and Eden Hill , our nature trails were miles and hours long.. And about as natural as you could get...

Just a thought and not to dismiss the obvious time and effort people have put into this project, but i guess I'm just measuring it by those traveled in my youth..
And, I'm not that dang old I have to travel a safe, marked 3/4 mile loop...Prolly ok for kids and old folk... :D (hey, I'm not that dang old yet... :fogey: )

Leep Out:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Leep wrote:Ah, please don't anyone get the wrong idea. I'm not dissing the nature trail..(dissing, just read that in a Jeffrey Deaver book)..But unless my memory is getting flighty or I've just spent too much time in the west, 3/4 of a mile nature trail loop seems a bit short...
Growing up and hunting in that area and down at Hundred Springs and Eden Hill , our nature trails were miles and hours long.. And about as natural as you could get...

Just a thought and not to dismiss the obvious time and effort people have put into this project, but i guess I'm just measuring it by those traveled in my youth..
And, I'm not that dang old I have to travel a safe, marked 3/4 mile loop...Prolly ok for kids and old folk... :D (hey, I'm not that dang old yet... :fogey: )

Leep Out:
Ah, but Leep, I understand what you are saying. As a kid, we too were all over these ridge tops, with no fear in the world I might add.... miles and miles of fun, then home in time for supper !! That was in the good 'ole, "we always had something to do" days. Now, a trail has been cut out, through the woods, for everybody. There are many who would never think to venture over the river or through these woods anymore. This could be a start of something wonderful.... maybe a realization to some of what we are truly blessed with around this area and what many take for granted. Yes, as you say, it is "only" 3/4's of a mile, but, it's a new start in the right direction. 'Tis Mother Nature at her best. :mrgreen:
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:
Leep wrote:Ah, please don't anyone get the wrong idea. I'm not dissing the nature trail..(dissing, just read that in a Jeffrey Deaver book)..But unless my memory is getting flighty or I've just spent too much time in the west, 3/4 of a mile nature trail loop seems a bit short...

Leep Out:
Ah, but Leep, I understand what you are saying. As a kid, we too were all over these ridge tops, with no fear in the world I might add.... miles and miles of fun, then home in time for supper !! That was in the good 'ole, "we always had something to do" days. Now, a trail has been cut out, through the woods, for everybody. There are many who would never think to venture over the river or through these woods anymore. This could be a start of something wonderful.... maybe a realization to some of what we are truly blessed with around this area and what many take for granted. Yes, as you say, it is "only" 3/4's of a mile, but, it's a new start in the right direction. 'Tis Mother Nature at her best. :mrgreen:
I too prefer a pathless woods, but, for many people, guided nature trails with explanatory signs are a good educational tool for their introduction to God's wonders.
Leep

Post by Leep »

I do agree that it is a good thing and was just having a bit of fun walking down memory lane.. I do remember fondly our teacher at Penn State (Dubois) making an unplanned stop at a great nature trail somewhere on the way to a Famous Fort and Pheasant farm/ranch.
He couldn't resist the lure of a trail he hadn't trod yet...
I did kind of take a few liberties when I told the Doc' that there were several trails, (Boardwalks actually) that made a beautiful loop through big mature trees an that they were all labeled with nice white signs.. With most of us first year students, he simply could not resist. After the walk he was simply beaming, he really loved it. He could point out very large mature specimens o four varied forest and the name was right there on the tree...
However, on the bus trip back he couldn't resist the following..."Ah Norm,that was a very nice place and I/we all enjoyed it immensely. I intend to make more stops here whenever we take a trip in this direction." "However, although some of the trees were very large, I did not see one tree that three people would have trouble encircling."

Poor , Poor man..I thought he knew me better even though i was in my first year at school..
With a big grin I yelled towards the back of the bus......
"Hey Mikey, could you put your arms around that huge Shag bark Hickory..? Mike (Always grinning) said, "No I couldn't Leep.. "Hey John, could you put your arms around that tree?" Of course he said no. "Hey Tom, could you put your arms around that tree?" With a slightly confused look on his face he said, "I sure couldn't."
(I think you can all see where this is going.)
With a big grin of my own I stood up and said loudly, "See Doc, there are at least three people here who couldn't put their arms around that tree."

Amid the loud laughter Doc shook his head and smiled saying, "I should have known better, I really should." :P

He was a good guy and a good sport and my favorite there at school.. :flag:

Lep Out:
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

One hour walk on the Albemarle Nature Trail this morning:

2 Canada Goose
1 Mallard
1 Great Blue Heron
3 Turkey Vulture
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 American Woodcock
2 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 Belted Kingfisher
1 Downy Woodpecker
7 Blue Jay
5 American Crow
3 Black-capped Chickadee
8 Tufted Titmouse
4 White-breasted Nuthatch
2 Carolina Wren
1 Eastern Bluebird
6 American Robin
3 Gray Catbird
11 European Starling
5 Cedar Waxwing
4 Song Sparrow
2 Swamp Sparrow
2 Northern Cardinal
2 Red-winged Blackbird
6 Common Grackle
12 American Goldfinch

Total species reported: 26
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

No Wild Turkey or Grey Goose?
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

One hour walk on the Albemarle Nature Trail this evening:

12 Canada Goose
2 Wood Duck
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Eastern Screech-Owl
1 Eastern Phoebe
1 Blue Jay
5 American Crow
4 Black-capped Chickadee
8 Tufted Titmouse
2 White-breasted Nuthatch
2 Carolina Wren
3 Winter Wren
3 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Hermit Thrush
14 American Robin
4 Gray Catbird
1 Brown Thrasher
2 Yellow-rumped Warbler
12 Chipping Sparrow
2 Song Sparrow
1 Swamp Sparrow
15 White-throated Sparrow
2 Northern Cardinal
2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Total species reported: 24
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

WOW!! Fantastic !! Thanks sandstone. It's amazing what we have right here in our own little corner of the world. I bet that area is going to be beautiful once Fall sets in and the leaves begin to show their colors.
This Nature Trail was most certainly an outstanding idea. Thank you Albemarle and all others involved in it's implementation !!
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:WOW!! Fantastic !! Thanks sandstone. It's amazing what we have right here in our own little corner of the world. I bet that area is going to be beautiful once Fall sets in and the leaves begin to show their colors.
This Nature Trail was most certainly an outstanding idea. Thank you Albemarle and all others involved in it's implementation !!
You ain't seen nothin' yet! Wait till Stan gets out there in April and May. He leads walks for Canoe Creek State Park and I've been on some of those outings when he's identified close to 100 species in just an hour or two. That guy can identify most of the birds of our area by songs and calls!