Tyrone Milling

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
zapatista

Tyrone Milling

Post by zapatista »

-

Tyrone Milling just launched a really nice looking website complete with it's own blog.

http://www.tyronemilling.com/blog/index.php

It looks like they spent a lot of time and expense on this.

I love shopping there.

Their prices are usually way higher than other vendors in the area but their quality is exceptional.

Take their shelled corn for example, it's $5 higher than other feedmills but worth every penny.

Tyrone Milling's Corn is as majestic as the morning sun rising over the Alleghenies. These are powerful bright yellow corn kernels that run the gamut from lemony to peppery from blackberry fruit to winey richness. These characteristics come together in an extremely complex corn that is truly VIBRANT. This corn is not a subtle delicate corn but rather a corn full of power and character.

My livestock love it!
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Re: Tyrone Milling

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

You forgot to mention the wonderful ambiance at Tyrone Milling.

It's another reason they can charge twice as much for their products as other Feedmills.

There's something about their cluttered aisles and folksy displays that confuses the senses and seduces customers into thinking that 17 dollars for a sack of shelled corn is a reasonable price.
In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

I just checked that site out. I knew there was a Tyrone Milling and I have driven by it on occasion. I always thought everything sold in there was specifically for farmers.... I never realized there was so many other items for sale. I know where I will be going for a hummingbird feeder next spring.
Just for the heck of it, I clicked on the "map" to see what directions were showing..... either my computer is off or they have the "pin" in the wrong area. They have you located out around Madison Avenue and 15th Street area of Tyrone.
Great site, thanks for sharing.
yertle

Post by yertle »

My2Cents wrote:I just checked that site out.... I know where I will be going for a hummingbird feeder next spring.
I think they're running a special this week.

10% off all merchandise for customers that provide their own lube. :thumb:
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

Customer checkout.

Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

I'm not sure where this thread is going, but the idea of attacking another local website in our forums, for any reason, doesn't sit well with me. I am happy to see any local product/service provider take their wares online in this market. In a time where large commercial chain stores keep small business's from competing by driving down prices by importing from overseas or selling lower quality goods, I always try to spend some of money locally first, unless I need to buy elsewhere for whatever reason. Please keep the discussion in line, or it will be locked.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
yertle

Post by yertle »

Rick wrote:... In a time where large commercial chain stores keep small business's from competing by driving down prices by importing from overseas or selling lower quality goods, I always try to spend some of money locally first, unless I need to buy elsewhere for whatever reason.
I agree.

We need to stop shopping at giant chain stores like the Cresson Feedmill or Albrights Feedmill.

Their cheap prices on shelled corn and animal feed make it all but impossible for our local feedmills to compete.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

yertle wrote:
Rick wrote:... In a time where large commercial chain stores keep small business's from competing by driving down prices by importing from overseas or selling lower quality goods, I always try to spend some of money locally first, unless I need to buy elsewhere for whatever reason.
I agree.

We need to stop shopping at giant chain stores like the Cresson Feedmill or Albrights Feedmill.

Their cheap prices on shelled corn and animal feed make it all but impossible for our local feedmills to compete.
Glad you understand, thanks

/tongueincheek
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
DonkeyHoagie

Post by DonkeyHoagie »

It would be cool if they had a motto on the site like "Mill, Baby Mill."
Jerry, I know myself. And if I'm on the streets, and it starts to go down, I don't back off, until it's finished.
http://www.dotpenn.com
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

"My fellow Tyronians: ask not what your Feedmill can do for you - ask what you can do for your Feedmill.

My fellow farmers: ask not what the Feedmill will do for you, but what together we can do for the Feedmill.

Whether you are citizens of Tyrone or farmers of Blair, ask of the Feedmill the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which they ask of you.
And remember, November is silage month - deep discounts on fermented, high-moisture fodder for all your ruminant needs."

Excerpted from the Grain Mongers Quarterly
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

hmmm.........someone has a lot of time on their hands!
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

I remember many years ago, while visiting my grandparents on Columbia Ave., my son won a cute, little, black and white rabbit at the carnival a few blocks over. The first thing we did was name him, "Tyrone" (what else?) and next we had to find him a traveling cage for his ride back to our place in NC. I looked for days...no luck. Out of desperation, I even considered looking in a cookbook for a recipe for "Rabbit Stew" if I couldn't find a cage soon since we had to get back home in a couple of days (kidding). Then as a last ditch effort I tried Tyrone Milling.....and they had just what I needed! So back to NC we headed, "Tyrone" still very much alive, and he lived to be at least 10 years old. He moved into much larger quarters, but I kept that cage until it rusted away. Just another great memory of Tyrone I have. Image
Leep

Post by Leep »

We used to play softball and baseball there on the blacktop parking lot..
There was myself, Johnny Loncher, Charlie Cafferelli, my brothers, Dave and Jim...Sometimes Sam Cowher..And a few others I can't remember...Oh, Jim Morrisey and I think his brother too.Their dad Jim worked right there at the mill and retired from there. My brother Dave married Angeline Morrisey a few years ago, his childhood sweetheart....
Me, I was crazy about Johnny's' older sister, a redhead like me..Hmm, you'd think as big a crush as I had on her I'd remember her name.. :fogey:
That blacktop made ground balls pretty tough to handle. I remember a home run was over the roof on Jim's house...
Leep:
yertle

Post by yertle »

I just got back from Mill Hill Farm Supply in Williamsburg .

Their prices are a lot cheaper than Tyrone Millings.

Tyrone Milling wants $14 for a 100lb's of shelled corn - Mill Hill is only charging 11.25/100lb.
If you're buying in bulk its well worth the drive down there.
I bought 1 ton and saved $55.

It's only 17 miles past Tyrone Milling.

I'd check with Mill Hill for prices on anything before you buy it at Tyrone Milling.
There's a good chance you'll save yourself a nice chunk of change.

They don't have a website but here's a link with their contact info:
Phone: 832-3458

Some other products I did a comparison on:

Tyrone Millings Prices
Goat Feed - 13.99/50lb
Hog Feed - 13.25/50lb

Mill Hill's Prices
Goat Feed - 10.85/50lb
Hog Feed - 9.22/50lb bag
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

yertle wrote: Tyrone Milling wants $14 for a 100lb's of shelled corn - Mill Hill is only charging 11.25/100lb.
If you're buying in bulk its well worth the drive down there.
I bought 1 ton and saved $55.

Tyrone Millings Prices
Goat Feed - 13.99/50lb
Hog Feed - 13.25/50lb

Mill Hill's Prices
Goat Feed - 10.85/50lb
Hog Feed - 9.22/50lb bag
Tyrone Millin is Makin a Killin! :D
In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.