Hiking in the Tyrone area

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Hiking in the Tyrone area

Post by sandstone »

The Tyrone area boasts many outstanding locations for short and long hikes. Anyone got any favorites?

If you're interested in hiking, you may want to attend this program this evening:

Today, Tuesday, November 18 — Ben Cramer, “Pennsylvania Hiking for All Ages and Interests”7 p.m. in the meeting room of the Bellwood-Antis Public Library, 526 Main St., Bellwood.
Join the editor of Pennsylvania Hiking Trails (13th ed.) for a talk about the benefits of hiking and some of the best trails in the Juniata Valley area.

Ben Cramer has hiked more than 3,000 miles on Pennsylvania's hiking trails and has completed many of the state's long-distance backpacking trails. He is an accomplished outdoor guide with a focus on educating participants on Pennsylvania geography, history, and environmental challenges. He has led outings for a variety of conservation and educational organizations, and has worked with participants of all age groups and levels of ability. He serves on the executive committees for the Pennsylvania Chapter and the Moshannon Group of Sierra Club. He is a freelance writer on outdoor adventures in Pennsylvania, contributing to the monthly "On the Trail" column in Centre Daily Times, and writing regularly for a variety of volunteer publications. Ben is the editor of "Pennsylvania Hiking Trails" (Stackpole Books, 2008). Ben also works as an instructor at Penn State University, and specializes on research into communications and environmental law. He lives in State College, PA.

Travel directions: Take the Bellwood Exit (41) off I-99, go straight through the traffic light at the Sheetz intersection, proceed about four blocks, and turn right just before the railroad overpass. Turn left, go two blocks; the library is on the right.

www.jvas.org :D
salaman

Re: Hiking in the Tyrone area

Post by salaman »

One of my favorite (there are many) hikes would be on the borough watershed. I park on Ice Mountain at the parking area at the gate to enter SGL 60. Walk the 50 or so feet back to the ATT/Hoover Road and make a left toward the yellow gate that the borough installed to control vehicle access to the watershed. Follow the ATT line out to the head of Alder Run where there is another gate across the ATT right-of-way, the road bears right here leaving the ATT line. After a steep uphill section you will be on top of Slide Mountain. You will pass Gamesa's MET tower on your right. A short distance later you will come to No Trespassing signs blocking the road. Bear right here at an old logging landing and follow the road that exits the other side. You will be going steeply downhill. From this vantage point you will be able to see Ice Mountain on your right, and on a clear day, nearly to Altoona. Continue on this road down and across a bench toward Sink Run. The road will end 100 yards or so above the stream. Bushwack down to the stream and go right. You are now at the base of Ice Mountain just slightly above the fork in Sink Run. There is an old stone path that follows the stream up the hollow. It is very hard to stay on it at times, as an ice storm two years ago made a mess of the area. Fortunately someone (probably a hunter) has cut the path open. As you climb up the hollow you will see the stream become smaller and smaller. There will be patches of rhododendron then mountain laurel before coming to a small grove of very large hemlocks. This is the point where the right fork of Sink run blasts out of the ground, very large flow for spring so high on the mountain. Continue on uphill and you will shortly come back to the ATT right-of-way, make a left up the hill and you are back at the parking area. There is a lot of elevation change on this hike, but is worth the effort. It is a loop with very little backtracking. I can almost guarantee that, if it is not hunting season, you will not see anybody on this walk. I suggest that if you would like to do this hike, do it soon, it may become something totally different in the future. I think that I will do it again soon myself.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

salaman wrote:One of my favorite (there are many) hikes would be on the borough watershed. I park on Ice Mountain at the parking area at the gate to enter SGL 60. . . I suggest that if you would like to do this hike, do it soon, it may become something totally different in the future. I think that I will do it again soon myself.
Ice Mt's my favorite hiking area too.

Great presentation by Ben Cramer at yesterday evening's Juniata Valley Audubon meeting in Bellwood.

www.jvas.org
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

I heard recently that Gamesa's created a nature trail on its Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm.

Hikers are invited to take in the majestic views while they try and identify the multitude of migratory bird carcasses that are strewn along the trail.
Staff ornithologists are on hand between 8 and 5 pm to help hikers piece together the disembodied beaks and wings they find on their hikes.

Trail guides and informational birding pamphlets can be purchased at the Visitors Center.
Children under 12 recieve free souvenir pinwheels.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

Ice Man wrote:
salaman wrote:One of my favorite (there are many) hikes would be on the borough watershed. I park on Ice Mountain at the parking area at the gate to enter SGL 60. . . I suggest that if you would like to do this hike, do it soon, it may become something totally different in the future. I think that I will do it again soon myself.

Great presentation by Ben Cramer at yesterday evening's Juniata Valley Audubon meeting in Bellwood.

http://www.jvas.org
Thanks guys.... that certainly brought back good 'ole memories. It's been many, many years, but, I too have hiked thru there (maybe not the same areas) but, been there, done that.... more-so, around the apple orchard area....was always afraid of those rattlers, but went anyway. Remember how the deer use to come down in droves to eat the apples off the trees ?? Back then, didn't know "Ice Mountain" was "Ice Mountain."
Since Ice Mountain has been designated as "Blair County Natural Heritage Area of Unique and Exceptional Conservational Value," and "Certified as an IBA," well known for it's pristine water and watershed area, beautiful ridgetops, a habitat for wildlife, a resting place for the Golden Eagle, which was almost extinct and is now trying to make a comeback....and is coming into this area.... all of this including the bats that we are very fortunate to have around this area and they are needed and should not be harmed in any way !!! Those who are not "privy" to facts, and/or, those who are not privy to why we must save Ice Mountain from distruction should read up on all the facts that have been proven over and over again. I'm sure once ALL is "privy" to ALL the facts there would be no reason to destroy what we have had here, peacefully, for thousands of years.
This whole area could be preserved as a wildlife sanctuary, hiking trails, birding, etc. Since most places in this world are becoming a concrete jungle, Tyrone could bring in a lot of tourism from all around. A wind farm would chase people away ... no one would want to settle anywhere around the area.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

http://www.jvas.org
Thanks guys.... that certainly brought back good 'ole memories. It's been many, many years, but, I too have hiked thru there (maybe not the same areas) but, been there, done that.... more-so, around the apple orchard area....was always afraid of those rattlers, but went anyway. Remember how the deer use to come down in droves to eat the apples off the trees ?? Back then, didn't know "Ice Mountain" was "Ice Mountain."
Since Ice Mountain has been designated as "Blair County Natural Heritage Area of Unique and Exceptional Conservational Value," and "Certified as an IBA," well known for it's pristine water and watershed area, beautiful ridgetops, a habitat for wildlife, a resting place for the Golden Eagle, which was almost extinct and is now trying to make a comeback....and is coming into this area.... all of this including the bats that we are very fortunate to have around this area and they are needed and should not be harmed in any way !!! Those who are not "privy" to facts, and/or, those who are not privy to why we must save Ice Mountain from distruction should read up on all the facts that have been proven over and over again. I'm sure once ALL is "privy" to ALL the facts there would be no reason to destroy what we have had here, peacefully, for thousands of years.
This whole area could be preserved as a wildlife sanctuary, hiking trails, birding, etc. Since most places in this world are becoming a concrete jungle, Tyrone could bring in a lot of tourism from all around. A wind farm would chase people away ... no one would want to settle anywhere around the area.
sammie wrote:
Mike and I walked a road in the ARWF last weekend – the place was crawling with ATV riders – very loud and dusty! We continued to document areas where the watershed has been affected by improper drainage controls.

Laura
The extensive road system that Gamesa has planned for Ice Mountain will attract ATVers to the watershed, just like at Allegheny Ridge. ATVs are prohibited on watershed property, presumably because the watershed owners believe that the watershed will be degraded by such activity. Legal or not, ATV riding will increase on watershed land after Gamesa's extensive road system is built.