Tyrone Police Department and Greg Ray Termination

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
jumper56

Re: Tyrone PD - Police Department

Post by jumper56 »

Was anything in the Altoona Mirror or Tyrone Herald this week regarding any of this? Us out-of-towners would like to read what has actually been 'reported'. Am waiting with bated breath to see what develops from all of this upheaval. Sure took long enough for a decision to be made. Again, hate to see good people 'thrown under the bus' but it happens everyday! You all need to realize there is no such thing as "fair", it is just a word and hasn't had any real value in terms of human relationships, ever. It is just a 'place' where you can look at the animals and ride the rides. What is 'unjust' is how the innocents were persecuted and how there may never be any recourse or apologies. It is unfortunate that the people of Tyrone carry a black eye that only a few people earned. This dark moment will not be forgotten for a very long time. Good luck to you all and remember to get out there and vote. Clearly Tyrone needs some fresh prospects with some fresh perspectives!
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

Exactly what is bated breath?
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

FYI Banksy: it means “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe.
So there you go.. Glad i could help :thumb:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

jumper56 wrote:Was anything in the Altoona Mirror or Tyrone Herald this week regarding any of this?
Greg Bock, local resident and reporter, works for the Altoona Mirror, and has posted two of his recent stories here...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1087&start=15#p11814
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
jumper56

Post by jumper56 »

Oh, Robbuck, apparently you and I graduated the same year. Thanks so much for giving the explaination for me. I do tend to be stickler for spelling and grammer, punctuation, not so much. Even at this age, still learning something everyday, gotta love it. Still looking for a way to read anything printed in the newspapers regarding this 'debacle'. thanx.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Robbuck wrote:FYI Banksy: it means “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe.
So there you go.. Glad i could help :thumb:
And here I thought it had something to do with fishing.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Oh for the good 'ole days of Jack Giles and Bill Tonkey. :fogey:
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

I remember a police force which included our poster, Beachbiker, and they also kept Tyrone a safe and secure place ...without all the bs.
bossman
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by bossman »

so whatever happen to WELOVETHECHIEF and Billy Latchford they havent been saying anything hmmmmmmmmmmmm whys that??????????????? I think the borough manager AND so called chief be FIRED TONITE AT THE MEETING THEN START WITH THE MAYOR OPPS WE DONT HAVE A MAYOR IN MY EYES OR CHIEF so everyone at the meeting tonite DONT SAY MAYOR..............call him Jim and if the chief would happen to show CALL HIM JOE. see ya tonite :D
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I have been reading thru this thread since day one. Each of you have your own die hard opinions on this subject and I respect every single one of them. I do hope, for the good of all involved that this, whatever it is (mess), is settled properly and soon. Most of you at this stage of the game, sound die-hard in wanting to gather together at the council meeting tonight and present them with your opinions. That's fine, this is your home town, these are your home town people and you have a right to stand up for what you believe in as a citizen of the United States. What I'm getting to is; It saddens me that this received so much attention in such a little amount of time and you are gathering together and are ready to take it as far as you can to see that this, that, and the other thing is done about whatever, if at all possible. Folks, many people in this community and many, many outside sources have been trying to save Ice Mountain for over 2 or three years... we have been asking the community all along to please, please, stand up and voice your opinions on this subject... we needed you folks... we REALLY needed ALL you folks, WE STILL DO, to make a stand to stop these things from coming into our community. There are more people against these things that are for them, but, everyone was sitting back hopeing that someone else will say something.
If your gonna' do this thing to try to help Gregg tonight fantastic !! I'm asking that you please include Ice Mountain..... it needs needs your help and die-hard umph also !!! Tonight.... a vote may be taken by council allowing this Spanish windmill company to come into our community, tear up our beautiful ridge tops, place 25 or more GIGANTIC MONSTROSITIES across our ridges above our our Town and our Hollows !!! 30 years ?? The life span of one turbine is 8-10 years !! 14 miles of 30-50 foot wide road ways are needed to haul all the equiptment to the ridge tops. 60 foot wide swath of forest cut away between each turbine... and it goes on and on... tons and tons of cement... noise..... vibrations.... substations....all this along with many, many other things including the fact that they will be taking a big chance in building these things in our pristine watershed !!! They will not be supplying electricity to our hometown and your electric bills will not be coming down. They depend in subsidities (your tax dollars at waste/work.
If you are going to speak up tonight folks, please, please, please, include a recommendation for council to vote "No" to turbines on Ice Mountain. We are Tyroners, we have always stuck together and helped each other out whenever help is needed..... we do not need outside money from this kind of source... they will come in here, run us and tell us how to spend the money they give us. The turbines will be sold over and over, new leases will be drawn up, councils will be coming and going. In the meantime..... those non functioning, rusty 'ole gotchas' will be sitting up on our ridgetops forever.
Our Town has always made it before and we always will.... thru thick and thin.I truly hope that ALL of this works out for the betterment of all. Our town and our people do not deserve ANY of this. Let's get everybody back on the "beat,".... apologize where necessary, forgive and forget... let's get on living happily ever after !!! Try to understand where our council is sitting on these subjects. They are the ones who will ultimately be making these decisions.... I don't know all of them, but, I do know there are a few I do know on there totally dedicated to this town and have always wanted to see what is best for it. Please don't bash them... it's a thankless job.They have proven many times and have gone above and beyond for the betterment of our town. Understanding all the facts is what is a stake here. Be gentle... God Bless and GOOD LUCK to all.
newcouncilmember

Post by newcouncilmember »

we all have the same idea in mind GET RID OF THE MAYOR COUNCIL BOROUGH MANAGER AND THE CHIEF united as a group i really dont think they have any other option than to listen. Rather than to vote tonight they need to take a good look at what is going on. The only sad thing for the windmill people is that Kilmartin will probably change his vote so he can get what he wants from Rendell. COMMUNITY CENTER.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I would just like council and the Mayor to answer the question as to why Officer Ray was fired. I think the community deserves that much. Maybe they needed a few days to think up a reason, at least that's what it comes across to us that doesn't know any reason.
I remember once sitting with Don Hand, who was one of those good ole officers in Tyrone and he told me that the problem with todays police officers is that they don't get out on the beat.. they don't walk the town and the neighborhoods and get to know the people in the community. Greg was that type of Police officer... as for the Chief I wouldn't know him if I fell over him, or some of the other officers...
It's a shame that our town is only known for drug problems.. or anything that is associated with drugs. In my personal experiences with Officer Ray he was a friend to the families that tried to help their kids get off drugs, at least he was always a huge help to my family.
Prayers that tonight gives our community some answers we are all seeking and deserve!
jumper56

Post by jumper56 »

Would just like to add a little something to what "beck" has said about Officer Greg Ray and Officer Don Hand. Did you all know that Officer Hand was Greg Ray's uncle? Yep, Don Hand was Greg's Mom (Pat's) older brother. Probably another reason Greg Ray chose to come 'home' to be an officer. And for those of you that didn't know, Greg Ray has wanted to be a police officer since he was about eight years old. ( In my mid 50's here and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!) He went into the military and was an MP and when he left the military he went right into police work. This was never a career choice he took lightly. He knew exactly what he wanted to do with his life, unlike most humans. He must be very sad at this point. Especially to have what would be considered 'outsiders' expedite a fiasco that has ultimately lost Greg his job.

My other comment in in response to 'mytwocents' regarding the 'windmills'. I have only seen what is written here regarding this project. Again, sounds like the people of Tyrone need to step up and open their mouths. Any chance we would have a few new 'council members' before this project needs to be 'voted'? In this day and age there is NO reason to destroy an entire eco system for these windmills. And from 'mytwocents' description that is what will happen. We need to take a page from the way these projects are handled in Europe. These windmills are put along side of the highways. Go figure, look roads already in place to haul equipment. Roads already in place, miles and miles of them, that can handle these windmills right along side. These windmills are also put into cow pastures, no trees to cut down and the cows don't mind the sight, smell, noise, whatever coming from the windmills. To take our beautiful ridges and destroy them, this is the beginning of the end. Besides the fact it is totally unnecessary. Send your windmill vendor, cause that is what they are, a vendor, trying to 'sell' the people of Tyrone on a concept that will do absolutely nothing to enhance the beauty of Tyrone or bring an influx of cash to the borough, TO TAKE A HIKE!!!! FIND SOMEPLACE ELSE TO PUT YOUR WINDMILLS, WE DON'T WANT THEM HERE. THEY ARE IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY, PERIOD!!! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE 'LITTLE GUY' (TOWN). This will be just another reason to retire someplace other than Tyrone. Come on Town Council, there are ways of bringing business' into Tyrone without giving away our mountains. You are looking for the easy way out. When you took office did you assume this would be an easy job? Now you know different. You can please some of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. Here lately, ya'll haven't even come close. PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE GONNA BE AT THE MEETING FOR GREG TONIGHT, STAND UP AND DEMAND SOME ANSWERS ON THE WINDMILL PROJECT. DO IT FOR YOURSELVES, YOUR CHILDREN AND THEIR CHILDREN. YOU WOULD BE AMAZED HOW GOOD IT FEELS TO HAVE A BACKBONE. And several people with 'backbone' can make a difference. Good luck to you all!!
newcouncilmember

Post by newcouncilmember »

this shoud not be the last time they hear from Tyrone borough members. Every meeting should be this way until we get rid of Beachem and Danaway and get rid of the windmills. I am proud of the citizens of this borough for standing up for an outstanding officer. I would hope that the ag is contacted and left know what illegal activities are still going on in this town. They investigated Greg Ray why not investigate the real corrupt officers(FRANKS, LUTZ, AND BEACHEM). Sorry I forgot to mention SHARON since she seems to be in it with those three.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

OK...soooooooo.....what happened?? Do I want to know? And what about gamesa and the wind farm?