Tyrone Police Department and Greg Ray Termination

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
cwilson

Re: Tyrone PD

Post by cwilson »

I haven't lived in Tyrone since 1976, but to me it is and always will be "home". I just hope that whatever is going on that the facts come out and this issue is resolved for the sake of the community. :flag:
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

cwilson wrote:I haven't lived in Tyrone since 1976, but to me it is and always will be "home". I just hope that whatever is going on that the facts come out and this issue is resolved for the sake of the community. :flag:
AMEN
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Bill,
I was wondering why Officer Lutz has our cop car in Tipton all the time? I have witnessed it there myself on my travels through that area.That car belongs to the taxpayers of the boro and why isn't it in the boro where it should be ALL the time protecting the people?Last time I checked the people of Tipton don't pay taxes in Tyrone.Most employers don't provide a car for there employees to drive to and from work, especially one that could be needed in a moments notice.Not trying to egg on any fighting its my right as a taxpayer to know.If you can't talk about it thats fine I understand, but I guess I will have to ask at the next council meeting.
LETSGETREAL38

Post by LETSGETREAL38 »

Baldeagle u do have a good point i have been at sheetz in bellwood and those 2 officers have pulled in with the TAXPAYERS cop car. I guess if you kiss A%% you can do what you want when you want.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

baldeagle wrote:Bill,
I was wondering why Officer Lutz has our cop car in Tipton all the time? I have witnessed it there myself on my travels through that area.That car belongs to the taxpayers of the boro and why isn't it in the boro where it should be ALL the time protecting the people?Last time I checked the people of Tipton don't pay taxes in Tyrone.Most employers don't provide a car for there employees to drive to and from work, especially one that could be needed in a moments notice.Not trying to egg on any fighting its my right as a taxpayer to know.If you can't talk about it thats fine I understand, but I guess I will have to ask at the next council meeting.
Actually, most employers who provide a car do allow you to drive it anywhere you like... and your spouse as well, but I'm not sure that is the case with a Police car.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

:wall: Tipton here, and you are correct sir...we do NOT pay taxes in Tyrone....however, I should own stock in the Dollar Store, Burger King, Macs, East End, Bi-Lo, Save-A-Lot, Ace, KwikFill, and Choice. :D

I haven't seen this cruiser...but then again...my neighbors moved and I didn't know it for 3 yrs. :rofl:

Not trying to be peachy here... just thought this thread needed some humor...prolly a pretty poor attempt.

( Matt Plummer, tell your gram and your aunt M...that Tipton.... loves and misses them )
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

BaldEagle, I would be happy to answer that question...If it is Officer Lutz driving it then it would have to be because that vehicle was equipped for the handler of the Police Dog, which Officer Lutz is the Police Dog Handler. The conversion of that vehicle was paid for by a grant from Operation Our Town. Stipulations of that grant make it so that vehicle is the vehicle used when the handler is transporting the Police Dog. It is a requirement that the Police Dog and Handler live together, thus making the only transportation for the Police Dog the Durango. Council knew this might happen up front before we accepted the grant from Operation Our Town. So I would believe there is no misappropriation of tax payers’ dollars on this point. I believe that the Police Dog is a valuable asset to the Tyrone community. Thank you for asking the question in a manner that allowed me to answer it for you. You are right as a tax payer as all tax payers you deserve to know where your monies are going. I will always try my best to answer questions as long as it does not involve personnel issues.
park21012

Post by park21012 »

Bill Latchford wrote:
BaldEagle, I would be happy to answer that question...If it is Officer Lutz driving it then it would have to be because that vehicle was equipped for the handler of the Police Dog, which Officer Lutz is the Police Dog Handler. The conversion of that vehicle was paid for by a grant from Operation Our Town. Stipulations of that grant make it so that vehicle is the vehicle used when the handler is transporting the Police Dog. It is a requirement that the Police Dog and Handler live together, thus making the only transportation for the Police Dog the Durango. Council knew this might happen up front before we accepted the grant from Operation Our Town. So I would believe there is no misappropriation of tax payers’ dollars on this point. I believe that the Police Dog is a valuable asset to the Tyrone community. Thank you for asking the question in a manner that allowed me to answer it for you. You are right as a tax payer as all tax payers you deserve to know where your monies are going. I will always try my best to answer questions as long as it does not involve personnel issues.

Funny...I have yet to see Officer Lutz with the police dog when he is cruising Tipton, Bellwood and Altoona in it...
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

park21012 wrote:
Bill Latchford wrote:

Funny...I have yet to see Officer Lutz with the police dog when he is cruising Tipton, Bellwood and Altoona in it...
You say funny and I know you are being sarcastic, but I must add, that the only time I know Velo is in the Cruiser is when I hear him bark.. I can't see back into the back of the vehicle, especially when it is moving. There are times when our police vehicles are not in town. They have to travel to different District Courts and County Courts for hearings, transport prisoners, etc. There are a number of reasons a police vehicle may not be in town.
Wakeup08

Post by Wakeup08 »

The majority of the community has enough common sense to know that a borough would not go to the expense of hiring private detectives to investigate their own department if there wasn't a real good reason for it. Do you honestly believe that all the officers were not interviewed by these priviate detectives, let's wake up Tyrone. Most people do not know personnel policies, but Jenn had it right. The borough cannot discuss personnel issues with the public. Eventually the truth will come out. All police departments that have a K-9 unit provide the vehicle for transportation of the police dog, check around. Yes this means they park at their residence... The police department now has a pretty steep hill ahead of them, trying to get past all this non-sense. I sincerely doubt any department would go this route if it wasn't necessary and the right thing to do. It is obvious who is writing these entries about Chief Beachem, Officer Franks and Officer Lutz. All you are doing is making the guilty look even more guilty and drawing more attention to them/yourselves. The majority of the community sees right through that. But I really like the comment that this is the second time Officer Ray has been investigated and they couldn't get anything on him the 1st time........ really that is suppose to make him look innocent??? Any department would be lucky to have Chief Beachem, Officer Franks and Officer Lutz. They stand up for what it right and are working hard to bring some consistancy and professionalism to the department.
LETSGETREAL38

Post by LETSGETREAL38 »

well then let another department put up with them because we sure dont want them here
Wakeup08

Post by Wakeup08 »

Well aren't we fortunate that the community as a whole does not follow small minded thoughts of a few.
Last edited by Wakeup08 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tapout9947

Post by Tapout9947 »

Wakeup08 wrote:Well aren't we fortunate that the community as a whole does follow small minded thoughts of a few.
I dont really care where the dog and the car is..I understand that reasoning.. My only question is if you personally never saw or heard of one of your coworkers talking about selling or doing drugs would you or any of you that are arguing in favor of the chief sign a paper just cause your boss told you too..i would not and I doubt any of you would either..Ive known greg a long time and i can say I have never heard anything like that come out of his mouth. I really dont have a problem with the other 2 cops on his side , I just would like the chief to explain why Matt P. isnt getting hours anymore..Why pay a guy unemployment and then put an add in the paper for part time cop..Makes no sense too me...
Doorman

Post by Doorman »

Officer Plummer, myself and I am sure most people on this board would like an answer to the question of why your hours have been cut. Is the Officers on the Tyrone Police Force represented by AFSCME or any other Union. I find it hard to believe the Chief could treat you like this for no reason and get away with it. I have on numerous occassions had dealings with Officer's Barlick, Plummer and Officer Ray (and no I was not one of the customers, like someone stated on here) and have found all three of them to be very professional. I just hope that your career is not ruined by all of this, and everything works out in the end. I would like to see all three of you back on the streets as quick as possible.
Wakeup08

Post by Wakeup08 »

As usual in these situations that you will have people caught on both sides. Just as it is unfortunate that as you state a few have had to be put in question, it is just as hard for the for those remaining. If anyone is unjustly accused, why wouldn't anyone want to work hard, stay out of this rumor circus, and if you have nothing to hide or have done nothing wrong you will be fine. Again personnel issues cannot be discussed publicly, so all that you will see posted is one side of the story. And I agree with that fact that you have a union, I find it hard to believe that if Chief Beachem was not following the rules/policies with his actions that they would not have stepped in.