Tyrone Police Department and Greg Ray Termination

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
park21012

Re: Tyrone PD

Post by park21012 »

Bill Latchford wrote:
park21012 wrote:
Bill Latchford wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Bill,
I was wondering why Officer Lutz has our cop car in Tipton all the time? I have witnessed it there myself on my travels through that area.That car belongs to the taxpayers of the boro and why isn't it in the boro where it should be ALL the time protecting the people?Last time I checked the people of Tipton don't pay taxes in Tyrone.Most employers don't provide a car for there employees to drive to and from work, especially one that could be needed in a moments notice.Not trying to egg on any fighting its my right as a taxpayer to know.If you can't talk about it thats fine I understand, but I guess I will have to ask at the next council meeting.
BaldEagle, I would be happy to answer that question...If it is Officer Lutz driving it then it would have to be because that vehicle was equipped for the handler of the Police Dog, which Officer Lutz is the Police Dog Handler. The conversion of that vehicle was paid for by a grant from Operation Our Town. Stipulations of that grant make it so that vehicle is the vehicle used when the handler is transporting the Police Dog. It is a requirement that the Police Dog and Handler live together, thus making the only transportation for the Police Dog the Durango. Council knew this might happen up front before we accepted the grant from Operation Our Town. So I would believe there is no misappropriation of tax payers’ dollars on this point. I believe that the Police Dog is a valuable asset to the Tyrone community. Thank you for asking the question in a manner that allowed me to answer it for you. You are right as a tax payer as all tax payers you deserve to know where your monies are going. I will always try my best to answer questions as long as it does not involve personnel issues.

Funny...I have yet to see Officer Lutz with the police dog when he is cruising Tipton, Bellwood and Altoona in it...
You say funny and I know you are being sarcastic, but I must add, that the only time I know Velo is in the Cruiser is when I hear him bark.. I can't see back into the back of the vehicle, especially when it is moving. There are times when our police vehicles are not in town. They have to travel to different District Courts and County Courts for hearings, transport prisoners, etc. There are a number of reasons a police vehicle may not be in town.

Mr. Latchford I find it really hard to believe that there is reason to see the Tyrone Police Durango parked at the Logan Valley Mall on numerous occations. Is Officer Lutz taking a prisoner for a walk around the mall?? Or is that where the judge has moved court hearings too? You dont fool me. And I find it hard to believe that Operation Our Town's grant so you say fully paid for that vehicle and all that it is equipped with for the dog. Bottom line..This community needs to see what is really going on...we are paying for Officer Lutz to joyride and for a investigation that there is no need for. Greg Ray has been an officer for 18 years?? Dont you think something would of came out in those years if he was such a big "dealer?" The Borough and this Police Dept is a joke. You have 2 young punks come along and decide to make up a bunch of lies..and this is what has happened. Its ashame that these 3 excellent officers and people have to be drug through the mud like this and basically have thier life in an uproar. My family and I will continue to support Greg, Matt and Jessica...
Mickey9922

Re: Tyrone PD - Police Department

Post by Mickey9922 »

Tyrone people we need to have a meeting about all this and figure out how we can help out the officers in this town that should stay as officers, and get the 3 that need to go out of OUR town. Our tax money is going for things that we should not have to pay for. Chief you should be ashamed of what your doing, but we can all see your not. Your not even from Tyrone but you think you know everything about it. We need our officers Ray, Plummer, Barlick, Mayes to stay in Tyrone. So leave them alone and let them do their job. Bill Latchford do you really know the real truth? Maybe you should ask your little friend the chief to tell you the truth. Christy bless your heart for sticking up for the officers in this town that have done NOTHING wrong. Evil people will get what's coming to them in due time. It was not that long ago that our old mayor tryed the same kind of crap about Greg Ray, because she didn't like him. Come on Tyrone WAKE UP..... I see the chief all the time going to his church with the NEW black dodge charger, we tax payers are paying for the gas that they use. The Dodge Durango is always in Tipton. You should really buy your own car. Greg enjoy your time off. And ddon't worry about it, it's on the boro.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

I'm wondering if this could rival the Windmill thread.
pagwm98

Post by pagwm98 »

I'm sick to death of the on-going war being waged by the Chief of Police against Greg and Jess. They are both fine officers and do not deserve the abuse handed to them by the Chief and his hangers-on. I've known both of them for years, I wouldn't know the Chief if I fell over him. At Council Meetings questions are being asked about who authorized the money to hire private investigators and outside attorneys (the Borough already employs a full time attorney) to try and "get something" on Greg and Jess. The standard reply to any question put before the Council about this matter is "it's a Personnel issue and therefore we can't comment on it" That's bull!!!! The same answer will be given at the next meeting when the question comes up about why Greg was put on adiminstrative leave when he reported for work the other day. As far as I can determine, he was given no reason for it. I think the people of Tyrone need to start going to the Council Meetings and demanding answers. These are our Elected Officials and they should do us the courtesy of addressing this matter and resolving it. It has dragged on for way too long.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:I'm wondering if this could rival the Windmill thread.
Hey There Banksy....I don't know if this will rival the WindMill thread or not, I believe it has at how fast the hostilities started, since this thread started off hostile. I think it all depends on how quick the whole thing is resolved. I would certainly hope it would be over faster than the WindMill debate that is for sure.
TGEagles2000

Post by TGEagles2000 »

I've known Officer Greg Ray my whole life. He's been a close family friend of ours way before I was even born. And to think that the Borough of Tyrone could treat him this way after 18 years of duty makes me sick. As a taxes payer in the borough I think we all should be entitled to have answer way before the next town meeting! Enoughs, Enough! I'd like to know that the 1300.00 plus dallors I pay for taxes each year is going towards more than a dog that doesn't like women ( I know this for a fact) and gas money for them to go joy riding with! I would like to see a public appolegy from the borough and whom ever else is in the Witch Hunt against GREG, JESS, and MATT! As for the THREE boobs that started all of this you should be taken off the Tyrone PD and never be allowed to serve as any kind officer for Pennsylvania again. I can't wait to see who has the last laugh! :mob:
park21012

Post by park21012 »

Mickey9922 I agree with you. I think we as a community who feel what the Police Dept. is doing is wrong, need to gather together and support the 3 officers being bullied. Its not right what is going on..
Guy Fawkes

Post by Guy Fawkes »

No matter the outcome for any of the parties involved, the only people that will make out from this ordeal wil be the lawyers. After all the law suits and settlments are concluded they will have collected large sums of money. Take it from a retired politician this will be the case.
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
WeLovetheChief

Post by WeLovetheChief »

Come on people of Tyrone, do we really think investigations on other officers and members of the police force happen every day just for fun? They also don't just happen overnight. I will play devil's advocate here. We don't know the reasons of the investigation and probably won't till all this is settled. I am sure it has backing or would have never even gotten this far. Is it possible the Chief had no hand in the investigation at all considering that a private investigator and an independent attorney was put on the case? Isn't it possible that this whole issue could be bigger than the Tyrone borough? Maybe it is the FBI, ATF or any other federal agency doing the investigation? Are you trying to tell me that Greg Ray was put on leave and never asked a single question as to what was going on? WHY??? I haven't heard that yet. I don't think they would let an officer of the law be put on leave just for simple allegations he does a few drugs. They make simple drug tests to prove that one way or another. Those tests don't require this mess. What was Greg told by these people? You are quick to let us know how bad the Chief is but what is it all about?

It is everyone's legal right to file charges with their union for unfair labor practices. I would encourage everyone that feels that there has been unjust practices against them, to fight them. By doing so, it doesn't make you right and the Chief wrong. Only when all the proceedings are done can you make an educated decision based on all the facts. Which again I will state, we do not have. Pennsylvania is also an "At-Will" employer state. An at-will employee can be fired at any time, for any reason. If the employer decides to let you go, that's the end of your job -- and you have very limited legal rights to fight your termination. Part time employees are also not protected by any type of union.

I keep hearing mentions of "Jess" as well. What have they done to her? Correct me if I am wrong but she was not the one investigated, put on leave or terminated was she? What is so unfair about that? What is she afraid of then? If she is innocent, as well as the others, then they should have nothing to worry about. I don't see the other two officers that are being dragged through the mud, on here standing up for themselves. Maybe because they have nothing to defend. They know the truth?

The Durango is in Tipton because that officer is the one with the dog and he lives there. Simple as that. Does anyone know the extent to what the dog is used for. Maybe they were at the mall to use him to sniff out drugs or buy dog food? The chief drives the cop car to church? He lives close enough to walk which I have witnessed him do on a number of occassions. Maybe he had been working under cover all night and went to confession before he headed back to the station. What does any of this have to do with the fact Officer Ray was put on leave? Is it because Officer Ray didn't get the dog and is mad? Maybe Chief forgot to pick up Officer Ray before he got to church and had to walk? Silly eh? I don't know why the cars go where they do. I see cop cars from different states, different jurisdictions all the time. They need to travel, go to gas stations, take a restroom break and even pray. I don't get on a public forum from their department and throw out information I know nothing about. Before jumping to conclusions I would need to know exactly why. FACTS PEOPLE!

Maybe everyone is afraid to have a Chief that actually takes charge and makes his officers accountable for their actions? He has done a good job. He has cleaned up Tyrone. My family and I stand behind him. We also stand behind anyone that comes out of this holding their head high and telling the truth. Was the whole police department not investigated? Did everyone not have their chance to tell their side of the story then? We will know who deserves the apology in the end. I hope those that need to eat crow have their plates ready.
Wakeup08

Post by Wakeup08 »

Finally, someone with some common sense. You could not have stated it better "WeLovethe Chief"! I hope the majority of the community can see things this way and wait until all the facts come out to make up their minds about who is right and who is wrong in this matter. I have heard nothing but good comments about how much Tyrone has improved in the past few years. Which way do you want it!
Tapout9947

Post by Tapout9947 »

Wakeup08 wrote:Finally, someone with some common sense. You could not have stated it better "WeLovethe Chief"! I hope the majority of the community can see things this way and wait until all the facts come out to make up their minds about who is right and who is wrong in this matter. I have heard nothing but good comments about how much Tyrone has improved in the past few years. Which way do you want it!
How long have you lived in Tyrone? It would be immpossible to be a cop and sell drugs..Most people in this town probably could tell you what you had for lunch..Everybody unfortuanetly knows everybody elses bussiness..if there was a cop selling drugs for 18 years in this town, everybody would have known 18 years ago..I have a feeling most of you that are on the chiefs side probably either -
A.did not grow up here
B.just moved here or
C.Are just family of the chief that dont even live in this town
Lauren1

Post by Lauren1 »

WELL SAID! "WELOVETHECHIEF" put it all in a nutshell. We should know better than to think that the Chief would be able to comment on an ongoing investigation. Give him a break! Can you imagine the stress that he is going through over all of this? I'm sure he didn't join the department and decide to conjure up a big story about Greg Ray using/dealing drugs just for the excitement! Come on... is it possible that there is some truth to it? I'm sure that Chief Beachem would much rather go to a smooth-running honest department every day where his Officers are all on the same page. For the people who are claiming their names are being dragged through the mud and reputations are being trashed.....You are doing exactly that to the Chief and the other Officers. The people fussing about the "Dumb K-9" (first of all, where's the respect?), and fussing over who is taking vehicles home, and the Chief using a vehicle to go to church,etc. This stuff is just petty nonsense! It sounds to me like there is alot of jealousy here. Who really cares? Lets reserve judgement on Chief Beachem and let the "higher ups" handle it. I find it extremely suspicious that Officer Ray has been investigated twice for drugs. I find it hard to believe that he is just being targeted for malicious reasons. When the accusations were made ten years ago, Beachem wasn't even Chief! Sorry, but I smell a rat!
newcouncilmember

Post by newcouncilmember »

I have to agree with tapout. The people posting for the chief dont really know the whole story. Yes the people posting for the other officers may be family or friends so they should really know what is going on. As far as the chief driving the car to church that is not correct he only drives it there to visit his wife while she is working. I personally know this because I have seen it for myself. The members of the borough should know that this investigation was started internally and was only passed off to the AG's office after the chief knew that he was in trouble. As for officer Lutz lets question why he was asked to leave the Bellwood P.D. I have been told that when officer Lutz and officer Franks were up for the same full time position in Greenfield Township that officer Lutz started the same kind of RUMORS about officer Franks. One borough council member knew about this situation six or seven months ago when he sat in a meetings with Greg and Jess and heard the whole story. They did nothing about it! Yes you are hearing only one side of the story but the borough council will not hear the other side nor will the borough manager. I understand they cannot discuss personell issues but we also have to understand that Jess,Greg, Matt, Billy and Dustin are borough employees too. I would just like to know why the borough employs two full time lawyers yet we had to go outside to figure this all out. The borough lawyers sat in on the meetings for at least four months with Greg, Jess and the union representative to hear the whole story. When the borough attorney did not give the answers the borough desired they went outside and hired a law firm from Pittsburgh. Yes the chief looks really good because he is the only one allowed to release any info to the press. Yes this looks like he did all the work but I assure you this is most definately not the case. The borough has the right to do whatever they want with their vehicles but you can gaurantee if the police officers get called to Mr. Latchford's house they will not make the S turn in the chargers. I believe that the AG's office is much more qualified than a couple of private investigators.
WeLovetheChief

Re: Tyrone PD

Post by WeLovetheChief »

BeachBiker wrote:Is there a published story about this, perhaps a link? Or maybe fill us in?

I had heard something about Greg a few weeks ago - other than that, those of us now living outside the area (and maybe some folks in Tyrone too) have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

Such big news that half of the people have NO idea what the heck is going on? Why should any person even believe this stuff? Was there even anything in the paper or on the news about Greg Ray recently? There was a council meeting last week right? The reporters are there every meeting. It got air once but that is all I remember hearing about anything. Everything I have heard arguement wise is heresay. Being cops, some of these people should know that none of that holds up in court any where.

If we want to argue that we should know what everyone is doing, there would be sworn statements given to the Chief and other investigator's as well as the AG's office. I doubt this investigation was built on he said/she said crap. This very well could have been an internal investigation originally, then it must have been good enough to be handed over to more powerful people some where. Is the AG investigation over and dropped? Was the last one dropped or maybe just forgotten? People do know. They know more than you think. We also know what Ray's father-in-law is sitting in jail for. We can assume too. I would rather not, because I don't know that whole story either.

Let's just see what happens. Those that did wrong deserve what they get. No one, even an officer, is above the law. It all catches us in the end.
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

After reading this entire thread and wishing I had those 5 minutes of my life back, I think we've all learned one really important lesson here.....the Tyrone PD is tailor-made for the old "Good Cop-Bad Cop" routine in the interrogation room!!

On a more serious note,
I really have no idea who is right and who is wrong, mainly because all of this info is unsubstantiated. I have no interest on either side. The only thing I can say about the whole thread is if my name were being tossed around and slandered so viciously, and the harm to my reputation caused grief to my family or one penny of financial loss to my business......I would contact my attorney and immediately file suit against everyone and everything involved in this thread where my name was mentioned. I'm sure I would lose the case, but someone is going to lose everything they have defending themselves. I understand this is riveting drama for Tyrone and people want to defend their family and friends, but the thread is just getting plain nasty.