Greg Ray Dismissed

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
mrwirtner
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Re: Greg Ray Dismissed

Post by mrwirtner »

Congrats to greg, im sure he got the best night of sleep hes had in a while last night. As for council, here they sit, with egg on their faces, and it reflects poorly on the townspeople that put these folks into office. As far as im concerned, the "shoot (vote) first and ask questions later" mentality of council has got to stop. and we're the only people that can do something about it. i am aware that mayor, and several council seats are up for election this year. i have heard that gregs wife was running for council, as is Clyde Hewitt (works at ACE for those who dont know him) and Bill Fink is running for mayor. Now heres three fresh, down to earth people right off the bat. Keep gregs story heavy in the back of your mind on election day, and we'll show the borough what we think of personal agendas. as for the chief, his day will come. But only after his muscle (council) is yanked out from underneath him.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

Since it's so easy to start rumors, I'm wondering if any council members are addicts and sell drugs from their chambers. Obviously its in there because only someone under the influence would have put Greg through this. I hope a counter suit gets filed and Greg takes the city for the last 25 cents they have in their kitty.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

For those of you that have been keeping up with the Save Ice Mountain Thread...you'll see why some believe Tyrone folks should step up to the plate and get rid of this council. It seems to me that they are a tad bit confused about the role they play in Tyrone. A council should first and foremost always LISTEN to their constituents...when your council refuses to lend an ear to your concerns then they've lost the objective. When their own agenda becomes more important than the townsfolk as a whole...it's time to weed the garden. You elected these people to serve you and your interests and to do what is best for your town overall. MY major concern with this council...as an outsider looking in......is that they only seem to hear what they want to.

There was a petition that garnered 1500 signatures opposing a windfarm on ICE MOUNTAIN. This petition was gathered, in part, due to the suggestion of one of your council members. When the results came back with so many people in opposition they then decided the petition was null and void I guess. ( Here's where it gets dirty ) Certain council members and followers then began spouting that the petition was rammed down people's throats by a bunch of drunks at the Bull Pen. ( I don't know about you but I find it insulting that they believe 1500 citizens of Tyrone don't have a mind of their own or a backbone. )

I am still astounded that this council would throw their own under a bus like they did.

They then decided a more appropriate way to collect the opinion of the townsfolk was at a Democratic Primary. COUNCIL members...all in favor of a windfarm on Ice Mountain....manned the table and chatted with the public and offered their opinions and collected signatures. Even with this questionable format there were STILL 45% of the democratic voting public opposing this project. YET in every article in the local newspapers all you hear is that 55% of the folks in TYRONE are for it. FORGOTTEN is the 45% that voted NO. FORGOTTEN is the 1500 signatures via a petition that said NO.

The mayor as far as I'm concerned has been speaking out of both sides of his mouth. AND then came the call from the governor asking the mayor to see to it that this passes ..... WHAT DO YOU THINK THE OUTCOME WILL BE?

I urge all of you...for the sake of Ice Mountain.....and so that what happened to GREG RAY will never happen again in your town.... GET ACTIVE.... GET RID OF THIS COUNCIL. Take your town back from a bunch of council members that seem to only dance to their own tune.
newcouncilmember

Post by newcouncilmember »

I agree totally we do need some fresh faces in council. I think the supporters for Greg Ray as the supporters against the windmills will do whatever it takes to vote the current council out. Greg Rays supporters need a quick fix right now to get the chief out of there. With this fix sharon wont have a leg to stand on and the borough council will begin to crumble. Any suggestions for this quick fix!!!!!!!!
bossman

Post by bossman »

i see Jess was on the chopping block today for what?????? drugs too?????? what a joke :rofl:
newcouncilmember

I would certainly hope after the Greg Ray embarassment they would not be that foolish. After saying that you dont know with Dannaway and Beachem running the show. Council better keep a better eye on those two.
park21012

Post by park21012 »

bossman wrote:i see Jess was on the chopping block today for what?????? drugs too?????? what a joke :rofl:
I would hope that this is not true. What is it going to take for a higher authority to step in and stop this non sense? These are people' s lives they are messing with. All need to go..Mayor Kilmartin, Borough Council, Chief and most of all Matt Lutz. I truely believe he is the master mind of this all...and he wont stop until someone stops him.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

I'm wondering if the Mayor is more Muppet than meat?
Bock

Post by Bock »

Since the Mirror doesn't post every story that runs in the paper online, the most two recent Greg Ray stories (Tuesday, March 3 and Thurs., March 5) aren't online. Since it pains me to see WTAJ used as a source for what is going on in the area, I'm posting my raw - that is, unedited - accounts. Also, WTAJ only knew of this because it was in the Altoona Mirror Tuesday morning and The Daily Herald Tuesday afternoon.

I must refrain from giving an opinion, but one thing is worth pointing out. The WTAJ reports concerning the AG investigation said there was "not enough evidence" and I saw on here something to the tune that charges were dropped. It's very important to note that there were never any charges and from my sources, including the AG's people, the accusations were "unfounded."

I think the key word here is unfounded. That means something completely different than "not enough evidence."

So, for those of you who are not in the area and can't pick up the Mirror, here are the two latest from this week. If you do live in the area and buy the Mirror, thank you.

By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com

TYRONE – A long-standing Tyrone Borough Police officer at the center of an internal investigation was dismissed by borough council Monday night.

Council voted 6 to 1 to fire Greg Ray, an 18 year veteran full time police officer on paid administrative leave since January. Borough officials have declined to comment on the details of the year-long investigation of Ray.

The lone dissenter, Councilman Steve Hanzir, said following the meeting his conscience kept him from going along with the recommendation of Borough Manager Sharon Danaway and was surprised the issue came up for vote during the borough's usually non-voting work session.

“I wasn't prepared to dismiss at this time, in good conscience anyway,” Hanzir said. Hanzir said although the borough's internal investigation cited several reasons the borough could dismiss Ray, the focus wasn't on whether Ray actually broke any laws. That is under investigation by the state's Attorney General's office and Hanzir said borough officials have yet to meet with investigators and don't know the findings.

Any criminal charges against Ray would be filed through the AG, but his fellow members of council believed there was at least enough against Ray to fire him, Hanzir said. “We never had a meeting with the AG yet,” Hanzir said.

“Conduct unbecoming an officer,” Hanzir said, stating one of the reasons presented to him. “Heck, that could be anything.”

Councilman Jim Grazier declined to comment on the vote saying he voted in accordance to the recommendation by Danaway.

Ray could not be reached for comment Monday but indicated last month he had retained an attorney and was looking into suing the borough in federal court.

--
Mirror Staff Writer Greg Bock is at 946-7446.

And then from March 5.

TYRONE – Two days after being fired from his job as a Tyrone Borough police officer, Greg Ray learned an Attorney General's office investigation deemed criminal accusations against him are unfounded.

The 18-year police department veteran also said has yet to be informed by borough officials of his firing and only earned of the action of borough council through media reports.

“I was told there was no reason I couldn't work as a police officer,” said Ray following a meeting between Blair County District Attorney Richard Consiglio and representatives of the AG. Consiglio didn't return a call to his office regarding the meeting.

Ray said he would file a grievance through his union, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, and Pittsburgh-based attorney Patrick Sorek said recently he was working on a possible federal lawsuit on behalf of Ray.

Borough council dismissed Ray Monday night in a 6 to 1 vote but officials have remained tight-lipped concerning the reasons. Councilman Steve Hanzir, the lone dissenter, indicated council's actions stemmed from a report delivered by private investigators hired by the borough to look into Ray, an investigation that took more than a year. Hanzir said he couldn't support the firing based on what he learned from that report the night of the unadvertised vote.
newcouncilmember

I just heard Jim Grazier is running for mayor. Isnt he the one that stuck the knife in Greg's back on Monday after being advised by Dannaway and Beachem. Instead of running for mayor he should be run out of town. WE DONT NEED ANOTHER KILMARTIN!!!!!!!!!!!
bossman

Post by bossman »

Jim Grazier running for mayor please. I think Jim said he wasnt every happy with the mayor when he changed something about the Joshua House. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm tell us Jim. anyways Jim your no better for what you just did to greg and NOW STARTING with JESS what about the grievances that someone filed on officer Matt Lutz and nothing was done about it. Im sure the Chief will tell us MONDAY why nothing was done cant wait :D
mikkevkal144

Post by mikkevkal144 »

With Jim Grazier on the democratic ballot, and Jim Kilmartin on the republican ballot, WE NEED TO GET BILL FINK ON THE REPUBLICAN BALLOT BADLY....if we dont make a change now,,, HISTORY WILL REPEAT ITSELF...lets rally and pack this meeting Monday night,,,, lets show council that, this is still "OUR TOWN" not theirs....
jumper56

Post by jumper56 »

Oh boy, Jess on the chopping block, I'm getting that creepy deja vu (oops redundant, sorry) feeling, again. I am sure it was nothing more than a warning to keep her boyfriend from running down, what was that, Lincoln Avenue? Where will this all end? Does anyone on this council have a spine? Again, the few are giving the whole town a black eye and for nothing. Seriously, if this thing with Greg is not resolved, his reputation cleared with apologies for all, I am going to have to look for someplace besides Tyrone to retire. I'm too old for this crap!! Jess, never let em' see ya sweat!! Hang in there, change will happen just not as quickly as it should.
newcouncilmember

that is a good point since we are allowed to harass the people of this town the next time you see Jim Grazier running stop him and ask why he comitted the crime he did on Monday evening!!!! As far as that goes ask the chief, Sharon, and the rest of the council members. REMEMBER THE COUNCIL MEETING ON MONDAY.
MudzsmyName

Post by MudzsmyName »

I sure hope that the people of this town really do pack that meeting on Monday night. We need to demand a reason behind the firing that should of never happend. We also need to make sure that Beecham, Matt Lutz and Josh Franks are held accountable for there corrupt actions. We as taxpayers should demand that these three worthless individuals be fired from there positions. We also need to find out why Sharon Dannaway thinks that she has so much power and just what her credentials are to qualify her for the position that she holds in the borough. Also why is the Durango everywher that Matt Lutz is? He uses it for his personal use. You can see it at any given time where it is not supposed to be when he is off duty - Oh I forgot he is the golden boy. So golden he was asked to leave another police department for causing trouble. LUTZ you need to go away and take the So - Called chief and Franks with you !!! :bluebounce: