Remember When?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Something to say
MVP Member

Re: Remember When?

Post by Something to say »

haha...I hear ya... I loved it out there! That stone house across the street had been empty for years and years. I don't know who owns the farm now. Someone told me a good while ago that Bo...or maybe Jimmy DelGrosso, owned the property...don't know how true that was though. I do know that when my kids were quite young and the farmhouse sat empty.....we stopped there and walked around the property. The common door was ajar....so we went in. I stood in that large parlor and nearly cried...lol. Went upstairs and had the crap scared out of us. There were birds flying about...lol.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Reading about Harpsters store reminded me of Mike's Cut Rate (?). We use to go there for Cherry Bombs and White Lightenings!! I still crave those white lightenings!
I remember Carpenters store too! Once, some of my money rolled off the counter onto the floor and I couldn't get my candy until Bruce got down on that floor and recovered the change! It was priceless!!
We can't really go without mentioning McCory's! I remember my mom giving me $2.00 on Saturday mornings and my friends and I would go in town to buy something there!! It was a McCory's wasn't it? I think my mom just called it the 5 and 10 !!
NancyNurse
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by NancyNurse »

oops
NancyNurse
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by NancyNurse »

LOL... :jester: Sorry about the oops. So Mr Buck have you recovered from your recent illness? :thumb:

Does anyone remember Fiesta Dairy? Bunch of us used to go to town and watch the busload of Grier school "students" come into town and shoplift. It was a hoot when they got caught. Don't see that many in town anymore as they usually head up the road to the 'Big City".
Robbuck
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Robbuck »

Yes, NancyNurse, I seem to have recovered from my recent illness and thank you for your concern. I'm feeling much better now. BTW, I do remember the Fiesta. We used to buy chipped ham there, as they sold it by the pound. If I recall there was a guy behind the counter named Bob. Great burgers and milkshakes. They had the remote jukebox selections at your table and you could drop a quarter and get three plays for a quarter. :bluebounce:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Just wondering.. Does anyone remember the Tyrone Steak house??? It was located on the corner of 12th st and Pa Ave., Where Kelly Wike's Insurance office is now. They made GREAT steak sandwiches with fried onions . I may have mentioned this earlier in another thread, but does anyone remember Sally's Corner in east Tyrone?? another great steak sandwich.. And i seem to remember them only costing a dollar!!! :bluebounce: Gee, why is it that all my best memories have something to do wioth food??? I dunno :rolleyes:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Robbuck wrote:Just wondering.. Does anyone remember the Tyrone Steak house??? It was located on the corner of 12th st and Pa Ave., Where Kelly Wike's Insurance office is now. They made GREAT steak sandwiches with fried onions . I may have mentioned this earlier in another thread, but does anyone remember Sally's Corner in east Tyrone?? another great steak sandwich.. And i seem to remember them only costing a dollar!!! :bluebounce: Gee, why is it that all my best memories have something to do wioth food??? I dunno :rolleyes:
Robbuck, or someone, please help me out here. I remember a funeral home by the name of Fouse and Glass sitting on that corner. I remember it being a yellow brick house with a porch on 12th and PA Ave. I thought the "Steak House" was beside that funeral home, on PA Ave., where the "new" barber shop is located now.... which is beside Kelly's. Wasn't that Steak House owned by Joe LaScallia ?? Also, wasn't it his very first ?? Maybe they tore down the funeral home, which in turn made it look like the steak house was on the corner.... or, did they close the funeral home and turn it into the steak house ?? I was away from town when all that was happening. Crossing 12th street on the same side of the street heading towards the station I remember Freshes Music Store, then Jay Harris's Clover Farm Store beside that.... then the PA House Hotel..... then Baney's on the 11th st corner.
Whew, she's showen 'er age again. I love my town,lol. :fogey:
P.S. I don't remember "Sally's".... must have been before my time. 8)
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

And, a new topic for this thread:

Do you remember watching television BEFORE cable TV?

You actually had that thing called an "antenna" on the roof that picked up signals sent out over the air by the TV stations transmitter. "Cable" back then was just the wiring that ran from the antenna to the back of your TV. Every time we had a storm, the BIG concern was LIGHTNING striking your antenna and frying your entire family while blowing up your house (!).

Most antennas were "multi-directional - meaning they picked up TV broadcast signals from all directions the best they could, but you still usually had to "aim" the antenna on the roof to get the best possible mix of strong signals. Some antennas had a "rotor" setup; you had a dial that you set on a box and a motor just below the antenna would turn the antenna to get the best possible signal from each respective station that you could pick up. When you were lucky - meaning that atmospheric conditions were just right, especially at night - you could turn a "snowy" image with just a bit of static noise into a rather watchable program, though it often faded in and out...

I recall that from the Tyrone/Altoona area, BEFORE cable TV, an antenna setup would usually provide 5 channels (the first 2 were pretty reliable, the last 3 depended a combination of your antenna, atmospheric conditions, and usually some good luck):

WFBG (PRE-”WTAJ”) channel 10, Altoona. If you don’t remember “Big John” Riley, you probably have no gray hairs (or - you still HAVE hair...).

WJAC, channel 6, Johnstown. "Serving millions from atop the Alleghenies". Some great after-school kid’s programming. Remember that this was BEFORE remote controls, VCRs/DVDs/TIVO, etc - so we actually got quite a bit of youthful exercise switching between channels 6 and 4 (below) to watch similar stuff (of course, a lot depended on weather conditions and how great the signal was that day).

3 Pittsburgh stations:

KDKA, channel 2. The first station in the country to broadcast 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. On a good day, you could watch Pirate games here. Who could forget their colorful anchorman Bill Burns? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Burns_(anchor) Some of you “younger” folks may remember that comedian/actor/commentator Dennis Miller got his start on this station back in the 1980s.

WTAE, channel 4. Best recalled because of the after-school Paul Shannon’s Adventure Time. Rather than comment my own memories, perhaps this link will refresh some of your own: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Time

WIIC, channel 11. Who could forget watching Saturday night horror movies with "Chilly Billy" Cardille?
Here's a clip of the show’s opener, featuring Pittsburgh native and Bethel High School/Carnegie-Mellon University graduate Barbara (Get Smart‘s “Agent 99”) Feldon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOD4uJgpY-w

Some fan links to the show:

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/pittsburgh ... eater.html

http://www.chillertheatermemories.com/

Remember when?
Something to say
MVP Member

lol.. .I remember going outside and hitting the antenna with a big stick when WTAE wouldn't come in clear. Mainly because I ran down the road after school...praying that everything was "just right" and the reception was clear......so I could watch......Dark Shadows. ( My dad absolutely refused to put an antenna on his roof....ours was in the ground at the edge of the garden )

Also... My dad wasn't one to go to restaurants...but on special occasions....and once a month when we went grocery shopping up in the big city.....he would take us out to eat. We always went to one of two places....The Family Host or Alaskaland. They both had their positives. Family Host was a cafeteria style buffet. Alaskaland had atmosphere.....some of the stuff on the walls donated by my dad. Anyway....we were eating at Alaskaland one time and the familiar bells, whistles, clapping and singing began .....meaning someone was getting a HUGE volcanic ice cream something-or-other. Usually a kid celebrating a birthday. When the waitresses approached the lucky child's table.....it was none other than a huge-smiling Big John Riley. I was just about 10 I guess and I got so excited....I screamed to the top of my lungs....."Hey Daddy...there's that guy that you said wouldn't know it was raining if it was falling straight down on his own noggin." :rolleyes:

My dad actually knew Big John and was only jesting when he said stuff like that...BUT how was I to know? lol
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Something to say wrote:... We always went to one of two places....The Family Host or Alaskaland...
A funny story about Alaskaland. When it first opened, it had many themes that were new and novel in the area. One of their "favors" provided was if a customer went to light a cigarette, all the waiters and waitresses carried lighters and were to attempt to get there to light it for him or her.

A friend of the family decided to play a joke on them just about a week after they opened. He took one of those candy cigarettes, put it to his mouth. He said 3 different wait staff members - 2 guys and a girl - came rushing over. The girl got there first, tried to light his cigarette, then realized what it was. SHE then told one of the waiters that her lighter wouldn't work, so HE went over to "assist" our family friend. Needless to say, about 7 or 8 of their wait staff went through this ordeal as - what started as a joke by a customer on THEM - quickly became a practical joke for the wait staff on each other.

Interestingly - and regrettably - my Dad missed out on making a fortune on that piece of property.

If you may recall - Alaskaland was in a strip mall on the very far north end of where the 2 one-way sections of Pleasant Valley Boulevard come together just before Kettle Street in Altoona. The strip mall had a Weis market, Alaskaland, and some other stores. Just behind it, Jack Beasley Ford relocated their dealership onto a huge tract of land.

Just a couple of years prior to all that, my Dad had the opportunity to buy that entire section of land for $7,000. The land on the east side of it - where Perkins Pancake House, the Easter Seal Society office, and several other businesses located at about the same time as the nearby strip mall - was for sale for a bit less. When both sections of land were subsequently sold and developed, they were worth MUCH, MUCH more...
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I used to think that only the VERY VERY rich people ate at that little restaurant that was inside JC Penny's in the Logan Valley Mall. We were never allowed to go in there .... and one time my mom and grandma took me there i thought we were the ritziest people in town because we got to go there.

I know now that it wasn't for rich people, she just didn't want to mess around and wanted to get what she needed at Penny's and go home.... just like I do with my kids now.... NO. WE ARENT STOPPING AT EVERY PLACE TO EAT BETWEEN HERE AND THE MALL!!!!
Something to say
MVP Member

Hey Robbuck... I remember the steak house and oddly enough all my fondest memories include food as well. Of course back when we were kids the family GATHERED TOGETHER to eat...prolly why so many memories include pie and pot roast...lol.

I don't remember Sally's though......but my older siblings were raised in East Tyrone for a portion of their lives...gonna ask my sister..lol

And My2Cents....I don't remember the funeral home...hmm. I must have been very young or just a thought.

Funny story Beachbiker...lol! Hey Beachbiker...so where Hoss's is now...is where the Easter Society was then? I can't remember what was there before Hoss.

George Peterson approached my daddy about buying the property now known as PPG......clear back to the tracks.....for a ridiculously low price as well, and like your dad...he eventually declined. Ugghh. Actually...PPG then asked my dad if they could purchase OUR property along with our neighbor's. I'm glad he didn't sell our house but wish he would have bought the field.

BANKSY.........PLEASE!!!!!!! At least every other place. :hail:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Hhahahaaha.... not even every other place. It's bad enough that a 2.5 year old knows Wendy's, Burger King and McDonalds by name when we pass it.
Leep

Post by Leep »

I remember the funeral home because my little sister died at 8 months of pneumonia, and I being the eldest son, at 8, went with my Mom and Dad to say goodby...
I remember a store called Sullys? You could get a dish of french fries for a dime and a large dish for a quarter...

I think the funeral home secretly bought the steak house so the patrons wouldn't have far to go once they ate... :D J.K., I really don't remember the steak house..
My Mom told me the big building on the corner at the stop light.... across from the bank, had a bank in it, a bar and some other business, all in the same building..Oh it was apartments...duh..Mom said Dad wouldn't let her come to the bar where he was playing cause she was only about 17..So her friend kept sneaking her drinks upstairs to the apartment..Mom got a little tipsy and when Dad came upstairs to see her on break he still refused to let her sneak in..As Dad was walking out the door and across the street, Mom threw her drink at him three stories down...Guess she had her drink in one hand and her shoe in the other. She accidentally threw her shoe at Dad..Dad picked up her shoe, laughed and said," well I guess now you'll stay put, I have your shoe..."
Mom said, "d*mn you Rags." :P Something I heard many times growing up in our home..Always said with affection..Well, almost always.... :wink:

Ah, a better time and a better place for us all...I wish.... :? Bet we all do.... :thumb:

Leep:
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Hi all, I haven't been on here for awhile.... :slap: (that's me, slapping me)

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the pics. I knew almost all of the places mentioned (yep, I'm older than dirt). I spent many, many happy days in Tyrone, even if I lived elsewhere, growing up. My sister and I couldn't wait for school to get out so we could spend the whole summer with our grandparents who had their home on Columbia Ave. I wanted to move there after high school graduation but it never worked out for which I will always be sorry. Now, my 5 young grandkids are keeping me here in NC....

Something-to-say, I have 9 unopened tins of Cloverine Salve in an original cardboard tube from the factory. I had a great aunt who used to work there, might have come from her or my grandparent's estate, dunno. All I know is that stuff still works! In fact, I've got it on 2 blisters that I got from wearing new shoes on the 4th of July....one more day of slathering them with the salve and they should be good. :thumb:

I feel the need to get back to Tyrone for a visit, it's been over 10 years. Just might do it in the Fall. I don't need to tell you all this but Tyrone is a very special place on earth! I've lived in the big cities, now live in a small town here in the mountains of NC (had to get back to the mountains again) but Tyrone is the place where my heart is. Take good care of her, for there's no other place on earth as precious!