Remember When?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Robbuck
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Remember When?

Post by Robbuck »

Yeah, My big brother remembers lotsa stuff. The guys name was Trimble. He had a daughter, if i recall, named Jackie. She and our next door neighbor's daughter were very good friends. When did they close the long's dairy store on 9th st.? I don't remember it being anything but a dairy. They used to bring the milk for our milk time at the washington school and we used to have a contest to see who could drink the fastest. Oh, the headaches I got from that. :eek:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

OMG.... I remember the dairy before it was Longs Dairy. Whew, I must be ancient. :roll: It was originally called Waples Dairy. I think Bus Waple, who lived up in Hillcrest, owned it. Those were the days of glass milk bottles, with the cream rising to the top of the milk, capped with a cardboard lid. That dairy, which later became Longs, was a bigtime business around here at one time. Every single morning, during the work week, they would go from house to house delivering their milk. Not sure when the business was closed Robbuck. Back then we had the milkman, the coalman, the postman, the gasman, the electricman, the policeman, the fireman.... on Halloween, we had the boogyman. Man, we had 'em all, right at our door steps. Oh, those good 'ole days.... gone, but not forgotten.... yet.
BTW, think it was Robbuck that asked above if anyone knew where the "Silco Department Store" was located. I'll take a wild guess, going by 3 hints; department store, 2nd floor, and flooding.... was it where Lugg and Edmonds used to be ?? I personally do not remember it. Musta' been before my time. 8)
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Well, Silco Dept Store was located right across the alley from the Tyrone News Agency. It was a Dollar General Store not too many years ago, before they moved to their present location. And yes I remember the milkman, but ours came from Haag's dairy originally and later from Hagerty's.. But don't forget to "Ring the bell for Logan Bell" :fogey: And don't forget one other man that came around on a regular basis.. The insurance man. Picking up your monthly check for insurance he sold you.
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

:wall: Uh, ok... Where did everybody go????? :w Hellooo?.... HEELLOOO??? :ire:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:zzz: :slap: :huh: :rolleyes: :shock: :w
:ttiwwp:
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

OK so does anybody have any idea how many pharmacies there were in tyrone in the 70's?? I remember
City pharmacy on the corner of tenth and logan where OIP is now
Steele's drug store where joybeans is??
Community pharmacy where it is today.
Lugg and Edmunds where it always was
Medical center pharmacy by the Hospital
Anymore????
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Robbuck wrote:OK so does anybody have any idea how many pharmacies there were in tyrone in the 70's?? I remember
City pharmacy on the corner of tenth and logan where OIP is now
Steele's drug store where joybeans is??
Community pharmacy where it is today.
Lugg and Edmunds where it always was
Medical center pharmacy by the Hospital
Anymore????
Wasn't there one near where the Five and Ten was on the PA Ave entrance side? I recall a big "Rexall" sign in that area.
ragged_scooper

Post by ragged_scooper »

New postby My2Cents » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:03 am
OMG.... I remember the dairy before it was Longs Dairy. Whew, I must be ancient. :roll: It was originally called Waples Dairy. I think Bus Waple, who lived up in Hillcrest, owned it.
I went to school with both Joanne Waple and the Haag girl, for some reason I think her name was Joanne, also, but not sure of that. I'd have to look in my yearbook. Anyhow, Joanne Waple lived up on 5th street on the way to the new highschool. I was going to mention Haag's, but someone beat me to it. (Rob) Remember the milk boxes on your front porch?

TTFN :w
I used to watch golf on TV, but my doctor said I needed more exercise, so now I watch tennis!