Remember When?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Remember When?

Post by BeachBiker »

Here's a new thread idea: post something about the Tyrone (and area) of yesteryear as you remember it.

I did a search and didn't see a thread quite like this, and it seemed to best fit in this "Community Discussions" forum.

My first contribution:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember when:

The current PPG plant in Tipton was the location of the Peterson Memorial Airport (originally "Stultz Field") - and during just about every weekend during good weather, folks would be skydiving there?

You would drive/ride past on (then) Rt 220, and often see the skydivers landing. Or, you could park and watch them from several vantage points. You could also see them still in the sky from many parts of the (then) Bland's Park, now DelGrosso's Park.

The timeframe for this was prior to when the original airport closed in the mid-1960's and relocated to the site of the former Altoona Speedway/Tyrone Airport - now the Dillen Industrial Park.

For those of us old enough - do you remember when?
Leep

Re: Remember When?

Post by Leep »

I can't remember when, but I can remember what, who how and sometimes why... :wink:
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

In keeping with the same area, do you remember when Peterson airfield became Peterson drag strip. And anybody could race dad's car against someone else, as long as you had a permission slip. Saw a quite a few cars that were thought to be big, bad hot rods get blown away by the family sedan. :wall:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I wasn't old enough to remember it as an airfield... only as a drag strip... but for my age group, most of the racing was up past Reservoir Park right before you head up the pike.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

ahhh...digging around for a few pictures we have here. We have aerial views of our property and you can clearly see the airport/drag strip....1963.

Tipton Pharmacy was a Ford dealership owned by Lenny Rossi. I believe the Rossi family also owned a bar/restaurant down along the highway as well. I don't remember the specifics, but my dad played baseball for the Rossi team.

Fred DelGrosso, and his wife Merf, were wonderful people. Tipton natives adored them. As a child growing up in the park I have many memories. My parents, along with Fred, Lenny, and a few others would sit on the old blue booths eating shrimp and hot sausages while we kids rode round and round the kiddie-car track......FOR FREE! :bluebounce:

OK...moving on down ( up ) the road toward Tyrone......does anyone remember, or is it just a figment of my imagination, an ice cream parlor on the hill just before you reach Stager's Auto Salvage?
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

I remember Fern's restaurant right across the street from Stagers'. But don't remember an Ice cream stand.. hmm :rolleyes:
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Something to say wrote:...Tipton Pharmacy was a Ford dealership owned by Lenny Rossi. I believe the Rossi family also owned a bar/restaurant down along the highway as well...
Actually, Lenny had the Lincoln/Mercury franchise; Spangler had the Ford dealership (just north of the Grazierville Bridge, east side, until a fire in about 1981 or 1982. Rossi's also did indeed have a restaurant - perhaps more than one over time - but I can't recall exactly where or the name(s).
Something to say wrote:...Fred DelGrosso, and his wife Merf, were wonderful people...
That they were. We moved to Tipton in the late spring of 1971. I was seeking a summer job at Bland's Park, but they had already done the standard hiring for the season. The DelGrosso's, being friends of the family, checked with Carl Crider Sr (their son-in-law and park manager) to see what vacancies they may have yet unfilled. Turns out they needed someone to work in the office - the duties involved a bit of everything: running supplies to the stands, collecting money, errands to the sauce plant or (former)restaurant at the Tipton Intersection, relieving ride operators or anyone else for their breaks or if they were short staffed, etc. Turned out - it was BY FAR the best and most fun job in the entire park - you got to learn everything, know everyone... and it developed many multi-tasking and responsibility skills that set a foundation for my entire life.
Something to say wrote:...OK...moving on down ( up ) the road toward Tyrone......does anyone remember, or is it just a figment of my imagination, an ice cream parlor on the hill just before you reach Stager's Auto Salvage?
No, don't remember one there.

But I DO recall the old Loganbell Farms Ice Cream stand just south, same side of the road, of where the Oak Spring Winery now sits. Speaking of "Remember When?" - remember when the plant on that hill was Procter-Silex, and the Texas Hot Dog stand was at the bottom of the hill at the Pinecroft exit? And in the mid to late 1960's, if you turned toward Pinecroft, there was a go-cart track on that road on the left just before you reached Pinecroft?

Remember when? ...
Something to say
MVP Member

I remember throwing coffee pots all over the place the day I walked out of Proctor Silex! hahah...hey... I was young...and the stress of that plant..the coffee line, in particular, was wayyy tooo muchhh for me!

Hmm... I dont remember the ice cream stand at LoganBell. Why don't I remember that? I do remember Loganbell farms milk.......in pint bottles......being served up with lunch at school.

I hope someone remembers something sitting on that hill before Stagers. Surely I didn't dream up a building there...and why I remember ice cream there is beyond me...lol.

I remember frosted brownies at Long's Dairy....ohhhhhh they were sooo good. Remember?

OH...and does anyone remember Driftwood Pizza ( now the Elks) ? We all remember hub pizza, but the driftwood served a delicious pizza as well and I've never since tasted one so good.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Something to say wrote:...I hope someone remembers something sitting on that hill before Stagers. Surely I didn't dream up a building there...and why I remember ice cream there is beyond me...lol.

I remember frosted brownies at Long's Dairy....ohhhhhh they were sooo good. Remember?..
Maybe (Tyrone Auto Salvage) Bob Stager remembers an ice cream place being there; if anyone asks him, be sure to say "Hi" to his wife Joyce (his dad and my dad were brothers, and she's similarly related to several other members of this forum).

Remembering... Long's Dairy.

EVERYTHING they made was great! I can still remember their chocolate-iced angel food cakes; I have yet to find one as good anywhere I've lived since.

For those who don't know, the Long's Dairy in Tyrone was in this building, right in front of the WTRN studios:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... G_6150.jpg

For a long time after Long's closed, that building was a Majik-Mart/Uni-Mart.

From what I recall, every Long's Dairy had its bakery onsite. The Tyrone milk bottling plant was at the far east end of 9th Street, where Park Avenue continues through the railroad underpass (center right area n this photo):

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... G_6156.jpg

on this now-empty lot:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... G_6157.jpg

By the way, this building in Greenwood - on the left about 1/2 mile past the Sheetz, heading toward Altoona, was also a Long's Dairy location:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... G_6523.jpg

Finally, back in the yesteryears up until the mid 1960’s Longs Dairy still had home delivery by the “milk man”. They used vehicles like this Divco milk truck:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/200 ... vco600.jpg

Your home had an insulated milk box, like this one…

https://store.applevalleycreamery.com/i ... ilkbox.jpg

…on the porch, etc - and the milkman delivered whatever number of bottles of milk and/or other products based on a note you left, number of empty bottles you left, money left out, etc.

Remember when? ...
Leep

Post by Leep »

My brother Jeff and I played music in Lennys club across from the Bellwood turnoff. Sam Graham was our manager at the time and a good friend of Lennys..
We might not have made as much money there as we did in other clubs, but when we walked in and set up the equipment, Lenny always made us sit down at one of the long tables and fed us home made spaghetti and warm Italian bread with salad...
A gentleman with a kind word always, a warm smile and you went away with the warm feeling that he really cared about you, as a person...

Lenny used to let us bring my brother Jeff Leeper in and play some bass guitar as Sam wanted to quit and just manage our band and my brother Dave's band, a country band, which Sam felt more comfortable playing stand up bass in..

One night Jeff, about 18 or 19 stood as two pretty good looking women,
standing on each side of him, each hugging an arm and standing pretty close to this young guy, who hadn't to this time been shown much attention by pretty women, said, "Gee Jeff, you really smell good."
Sam and I stood by watching his obvious embarrassment, grinning at one another...

Jeff took a deep breath, glanced over at me and said, "Yeah, I got a good nose.."
Sam and I collapsed in laughter as the two young ladies looked quizzically at Jeff, shrugged and hugged him one more time and walked merrily on their way...

You can't write material like that stuff...But that's what you got around our family.... :D

Leep:
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Also from Long's Dairy Store.. I remember getting up early for church on sundays and going to Long's to get the Pittsburgh Press and Dad would often buy some pecan sticky rolls. We'd take 'em home and cut them in half, put butter on 'em and put them into the Litton Micrwave. Man. were they good. And don't forget the Broasted Chicken at Long's.. mmm mmm !! :thumb:
Something to say
MVP Member

Leep wrote:My brother Jeff and I played music in Lennys club across from the Bellwood turnoff.....

A gentleman with a kind word always, a warm smile and you went away with the warm feeling that he really cared about you, as a person...

I could not agree more!

Lenny used to let us bring my brother Jeff Leeper in and play some bass guitar as Sam wanted to quit and just manage our band and my brother Dave's band, a country band, which Sam felt more comfortable playing stand up bass in..

One night Jeff, about 18 or 19 stood as two pretty good looking women,
standing on each side of him, each hugging an arm and standing pretty close to this young guy, who hadn't to this time been shown much attention by pretty women, said, "Gee Jeff, you really smell good."
Sam and I stood by watching his obvious embarrassment, grinning at one another...

Jeff took a deep breath, glanced over at me and said, "Yeah, I got a good nose.."
Sam and I collapsed in laughter as the two young ladies looked quizzically at Jeff, shrugged and hugged him one more time and walked merrily on their way...

You can't write material like that stuff...But that's what you got around our family.... :D

Leep:
HAHAHA........PRICELESS!!!
Something to say
MVP Member

I'm lovin this thread!!! One more memory about Longs. My parents always took us for a Saturday drive...and we always ended it at Longs. Huge ice cream cones were bought and my parents of course always finished first. As my brother and I continued eating ours on the way home....we were always a mess til we got here. We rode in the back of the pickup truck and my hair was always stuck fast to my head and face with ice cream...I don't know if I ate more ice cream or hair...lol.

You folks from Tyrone might not remember this...but beachbiker...you will.

Tipton firehall .....across the road...for a few years during the winter months...the guys at the firehall made us an ice skating rink. There was always a fire built and hot chocolate. We had sooo much fun!

Big Tree...anyone remember Big Tree?
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Robbuck wrote:Also from Long's Dairy Store.. I remember getting up early for church on sundays and going to Long's to get the Pittsburgh Press...
Pittsburgh Press - BEST Sunday COMICS!!!
Something to say wrote:I'm lovin this thread!!! One more memory about Longs. My parents always took us for a Saturday drive...and we always ended it at Longs. Huge ice cream cones were bought and my parents of course always finished first...

Same here - with an exception. IF we ended up at The Meadows in Duncansville DURING the trip, we'd get the ice cream there. Or, there was a place on the backroads along the mountains south of between Duncansville and Portage named "Echo Heights" that also had great soft ice cream.

I noticed back last October there's now a Meadows in Greenwood; will have to hit there next time I/we visit.

2 things I didn't mention in the last post: My uncle (Dad's brother) was both a driver and store manager for Long's Dairy. Also - surprisingly enough - soft ice cream is very rare here in Myrtle Beach, and the ones that are here aren't good like back home. When it comes to good soft ice cream, I have to just be content to "remember when" back home.
Something to say wrote:...You folks from Tyrone might not remember this...but beachbiker...you will.

Tipton firehall .....across the road...for a few years during the winter months...the guys at the firehall made us an ice skating rink. There was always a fire built and hot chocolate. We had sooo much fun!...

Of course I remember that - I was one of those Tipton firehall guys who MADE those ice skating rinks..

I visited Tipton Firehall last October:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... G_6449.jpg

And spent some special "Remember When?" time with everyone's friend Bill Ambrose:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... G_6453.jpg
Something to say wrote:...Big Tree...anyone remember Big Tree?
Ahhh, yes - a great opening line for the NEXT contribution to "Remember When?"...
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Hey, this is going to be a good thread.... enjoying it already.... great idea BB !!!