Remember When?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
NMB[shorty]1975
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Re: Remember When?

Post by NMB[shorty]1975 »

Having grown up on Oak Street, I read this thread with interest.

I remember Mike's Cut Rite and East End Pizza as well as Harpster's.

I made three runs down Peterson's against my friend, 1970 GTO against 1969 GTO. None of the runs was impressive.

I think the only soft serve that tasted better than the Lion's Inn was the Meadow's.
Normal is vastly overrated.
techguy
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by techguy »

Does anybody remember that summer of 72 when Agnes came to town? I was 7 1/2 years old that June, and I remember being so afraid and yet so excited about the tremendous amount of rain that was falling. We were keeping a close ear to WTRN for weather and safety warnings as well as being tuned into channel 10 for the latest video taped reports from the area. When the rain was all done, I remember how the alley between 14th and 15th streets (behind Bressler's store) was washed away and there was a milk truck chained to the outside wall of Hagg's dairy. We had a lot of fun exploring and playing in the new "river" running where the alley used to be. If you look closely at the stone wall of the river down near North Aveune, you can tell where it was repaired when the road was filled back in.
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

I was about the same age, and I remember that we used to make the trip over toward Boalsburg, there was a small covered bridge that was destroyed, and the mountain road was completely wiped out for a long time...I don't know if that was 22 toward Water Street. They never did rebuild the bridge...however the road was fixed, but it took quite some time. It made a pretty big impact as a seven year old or so...
NMB[shorty]1975

techguy wrote:Does anybody remember that summer of 72 when Agnes came to town? I was 7 1/2 years old that June, and I remember being so afraid and yet so excited about the tremendous amount of rain that was falling. We were keeping a close ear to WTRN for weather and safety warnings as well as being tuned into channel 10 for the latest video taped reports from the area. When the rain was all done, I remember how the alley between 14th and 15th streets (behind Bressler's store) was washed away and there was a milk truck chained to the outside wall of Hagg's dairy. We had a lot of fun exploring and playing in the new "river" running where the alley used to be. If you look closely at the stone wall of the river down near North Aveune, you can tell where it was repaired when the road was filled back in.

Yes. Good old Agnes caused me to spend a week in Philipsburg instead of a weekend.

When I got back I couldn't believe the changes along the Bald Eagle Creek.

I was 15 then.
techguy

Post by techguy »

I certainly have a lot of memories from growing up in Tyrone; some are good and some are sad or bad. Among the sad recollections was from February of 1975 when a house fire claimed the lives of a classmate of mine and his younger brother. It was a cold Saturday night when flames ripped through the Dawson house on Adams Avenue, and in it's wake left Joey and Greg dead. I can still remember how hard it was to understand how I could leave Adams school on a Friday and everything was good, only to return to school on Monday to see his empty desk. That was definitely a very powerful and disheartening experience for me as an 11 year old, and one that I still think about today. Then, years later as the rest of our class made finally made it to graduation, it was so wonderful and heartwarming to see a dedication page in our yearbook in his honor. I still like to get my yearbooks out and leaf through the pages, and it give my kids a chance to make fun of my pictures too!
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Let's see if i jog anyone's memory.. Summer of '72 when Agnes came to town my friend Jay and I made some money helping move the damaged merchandise from the first floor to the second at Silco's department store.. now who remembers where that was??? :huh: I also recall wading down Park avenue in waist high water and Jay's basement on 9th street was totally underwater.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

How about the train wreck in the early 80's? Anyone have any pictures of that they could scan and post?
NMB[shorty]1975

My2Cents wrote:
Robbuck wrote:Just wondering.. Does anyone remember the Tyrone Steak house??? It was located on the corner of 12th st and Pa Ave., Where Kelly Wike's Insurance office is now. They made GREAT steak sandwiches with fried onions . I may have mentioned this earlier in another thread, but does anyone remember Sally's Corner in east Tyrone?? another great steak sandwich.. And i seem to remember them only costing a dollar!!! :bluebounce: Gee, why is it that all my best memories have something to do wioth food??? I dunno :rolleyes:
Robbuck, or someone, please help me out here. I remember a funeral home by the name of Fouse and Glass sitting on that corner. I remember it being a yellow brick house with a porch on 12th and PA Ave. I thought the "Steak House" was beside that funeral home, on PA Ave., where the "new" barber shop is located now.... which is beside Kelly's. Wasn't that Steak House owned by Joe LaScallia ?? Also, wasn't it his very first ?? Maybe they tore down the funeral home, which in turn made it look like the steak house was on the corner.... or, did they close the funeral home and turn it into the steak house ?? I was away from town when all that was happening. Crossing 12th street on the same side of the street heading towards the station I remember Freshes Music Store, then Jay Harris's Clover Farm Store beside that.... then the PA House Hotel..... then Baney's on the 11th st corner.
Whew, she's showen 'er age again. I love my town,lol. :fogey:
P.S. I don't remember "Sally's".... must have been before my time. 8)
I checked and yes there was a funeral home on the corner before the Steak House. I checked with my parents the other day. They don't remember the name though.
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

M2C -- If i recall correctly Joe Lascalia (joe's texas hot dogs) was where JC's Barbershopo is now. But I seem to remember going up onto the porch of the Steak house and entering a door on the 12th street side of the bldg. Wasn't there a barbershop right in that area as well??? I remember Ken Kennedy's barbershop on 10th street beside The Villa. :thumb:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Hi Robbuck.... You are so right, I completely forgot about the "Joe's Texas Hot Dog" name. I vaguely remember a barber shop around there though.... the one I'm thinking about was nearer to the Wilson Theater. Can't remember the barber's name.... it started with and "M" and was hard to pronounce. He lived up in Thomastown, I believe he was Italian. If there was an enterance from 12th street into Joe's, I don't recall.... I was away from town when all those changes were going on. I do remember coming home, going there for a cheesesteak sandwich, and there only being a front (up the steps) entrance.
BTW, "NMB[shorty]" tell your folks that the name of the funeral home, on 12th St corner, was "Fouse and Glass."
Here's a trivial pursuit question; Does anyone know where the "Graham and Getz " funeral home was located ?? :P
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:Hi Robbuck.... You are so right, I completely forgot about the "Joe's Texas Hot Dog" name. I vaguely remember a barber shop around there though.... the one I'm thinking about was nearer to the Wilson Theater. Can't remember the barber's name.... it started with and "M" and was hard to pronounce. He lived up in Thomastown, I believe he was Italian. If there was an enterance from 12th street into Joe's, I don't recall.... I was away from town when all those changes were going on. I do remember coming home, going there for a cheesesteak sandwich, and there only being a front (up the steps) entrance.
BTW, "NMB[shorty]" tell your folks that the name of the funeral home, on 12th St corner, was "Fouse and Glass."
Here's a trivial pursuit question; Does anyone know where the "Graham and Getz " funeral home was located ?? :P

Mike Moffa?
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

No Banksy he's not the one I was thinking of.... I'm still thinking. I can picture him, and can almost picture the outside of the barber shop. His last name was something like....Mangioli. Gurrrr wish I could think of it.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Just a bit if minor trivia.... I was away from here for approx 30+ years and would come back to visit parents as often as possible. While visiting, there were some sidewalks and driveways I used to dodge,lol. Summertime was the time for white Keds.... always wore them, and always kept them clean and white. Once in a while there would be a sidewalk in need of repair or sprucing up.... someone would call "CP" (won't mention his name) to the rescue. He would come with his bucket and spreader and smear black "stuff" (smelled bad too) all over their sidewalk and it would brighten up the apperance.... however, when it was dry, and the barriers came down, if you walked over it, you would have black soles on your shoes forever. If you drove over a patch of it, you would see continuing tire marks on the part of road that wasn't done. The black stuff looked like tar and/or macadam.... I believe, however, it was CP's own receipe, lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him.... he worked hard and was always there if someone needed their sidewalk or drive beautified. I, at that time the outa' towner, may be the only one who noticed that.
ragged_scooper

Post by ragged_scooper »

Hello Rob!!! Dang, my brother sure is a font of info, but I guess that's what happens if you never leave town or the area. Since I've been gone for so long it all kind of gets written over by other things, or maybe it just gets pushed out... :fogey:

Here are a couple things for the older folks. How about the little general store on the corner of 7th St. and Wash. ave. When I was growing up it was P.T. Neil's store, not sure of the spelling, Neil or Neal. Anyhow, the guy was like 100 years old when I went there and it lasted quite a while. It think after he died his wife tried to run it, but it didn't last too long after that. Eventually the Music Box was located there.

I remember when the Long's Dairy store was on 9th street by the river bridge. John Scordo and I used to go down there and spend a quarter for a pint of ice cream and then go out and sit on that tall curb and eat it all! That was really great to do at the time.

I remember when WTRN was giving away Izettas for some kind of contest. I didn't realize at the time that they were made by BMW. Who knew? The funniest thing about them was that the name of them got messed up and somehow I remember one of them being called a blue-eyed Zetta. Obviously it was blue...

Walking up through the woods at the top of 6th st. to the high school and getting threatened by the guy who was building his house up there. Don't remember his name, but Rob does.

Guess I'm done for now, maybe I can remember something else that might be interesting later on, maybe not.

TTFN... :w
I used to watch golf on TV, but my doctor said I needed more exercise, so now I watch tennis!
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Robbuck wrote:M2C -- If i recall correctly Joe Lascalia (joe's texas hot dogs) was where JC's Barbershopo is now. But I seem to remember going up onto the porch of the Steak house and entering a door on the 12th street side of the bldg. Wasn't there a barbershop right in that area as well??? I remember Ken Kennedy's barbershop on 10th street beside The Villa. :thumb:

hmm....LaScalia must have owned that hot dog shop before my time... I recall it belonging to the Shirk family? Wasn't there a barber in town by the name of Zanghi? Oh......wish I could remove the cobwebs....lol.