Remember When?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Remember When?

Post by BeachBiker »

My2Cents wrote:Was it "Rudy's ??"
I believe Rudy's was on the southeast corner PA Ave and 14th Street; the store was on the first floor and there was an apartment above it. It was owned and run by Albert and Margaret Uhl. It closed in the late 60's or so.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

I'm confused....how could a store be on both Logan and PA Ave? Did it cover the whole block? I might know what it was called if I could figure out where it was.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

lol, I think Jumper meant 14th and PA Ave..... Which was located in the area BB mentioned above. Rudy's made all kinds of good stuff with choclate and peanuts. Aside from "Pikes," I don't remember any other place on Logan Ave that sold Ice Cream.... I could be wrong though. I remember Shiffler's Drug store ( later called, Community Pharmacy)on the corner of 10th and Logan... they sold good Ice Cream Sodas.
Something to say
MVP Member

wow...I dont remember community pharmacy being on 10th and Logan ... I do remember Steele's on 10th st. Really rackin my brain here people...lol.

Look what they've done to my brain, ma
look what they've done to my brain
well they plucked it like a chicken bone
and I think Im half insane, ma
Look what they've done to my brain.

Pete and Peg Uhl....is that Albert and Margaret? They went to my church....such sweet people they were.
Something to say
MVP Member

Hey...what was the man's name that had the pool hall in town...he had opened one in Tipton as well. He could run a pool table like nobody's business. I hate it that I can't remember names......grrrrrrrrrr. I can see him as plain as day...sheesh.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

You bet ya, I knew them both.... good people.... sad to think they are gone now. Pool Hall ??!! There was a place called
"Dutch Bruners" I think they had a pool table in there.... ROFLOL, I wasn't allowed to look or peek into that front door, lol.
Something to say
MVP Member

Dutch Brunners...lol. Funny I was just thinking about Dutch's. There was a business man in town that used to come into where I was employed to grab a cold one after work. One time as he was going out the door he told me he'd have to tip me the following day, but in the meantime....these words of wisdom would have to suffice....... Don't drink at Dutch Brunner's before 7 am...lol. I still don't know what the heck he meant by that....except that maybe if you visited Dutch's before 7 am you had a problem.....haha.

But that's not who I was thinking of... Oh it will come to me.

Barrone?
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

The Pool hall was owned by Al Barone. The one I remember was just down the street from the Hub, when it was beside the river. Kenny Sprankle worked there trying to keep the place civil. :fogey: The reason you should not drink at Dutch's before seven( guy was being a smart @ss) was because he didn't open until seven. They opened that early for the guys coming off third shift at the paper mill. :drink:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Robbuck wrote:The Pool hall was owned by Al Barone. ...

I can't believe I couldn't recall Al Barrone's name. :banghead:

This "Remember When" thing isn't as easy as I thought it would be - yet I can easily recall certain things like they just happened. :fogey:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

There ya go Robbuck, lol, I forgot about Al Barone's, lol. :fogey:
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Beck wrote:Wow... do I remember Long's Dairy firsthand.. My dad was a milkman for Hagg's and then went to Longs. I remember many rides in that milk truck and I was just little then. When my dad was transfered to State College to run the Long's Dairy there I rode the "whole way" over there in the Milk Truck and it was as if I went cross country! I use to come home from school every day and have a hot fudge sundae and then fall asleep under the counter ! Nothing better than being born to "the milkman".

I was hoping you'd post something about that; I had it in mind when I posted the previous response. And I am eternally grateful that - when you emerged from under that counter after your hot fudge sundae-induced coma - you always seemed to grab a neat comic book that I would later view.

Beck wrote: ... One thing that surprises me is that you didn't jump the fence at Shea Field to get an up close picture of the sign. Then again maybe you did but didn't post it (so as to stay out of jail for trespassing).
Oh yea, like as if there isn't ENOUGH controversy in that borough. I can just see the Herald headline the next day: "Former Tyrone Cop Arrested for Trespass; Claims Just Recalling His Glory Days". :fogey:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I bet they would hire a PI to find out why you were there... probably want to ask someone you knew from when you were 12 what you used to do down in the dugouts at night.
Something to say
MVP Member

haha Banksy
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

banksy wrote:... probably want to ask someone you knew from when you were 12 what you used to do down in the dugouts at night.
Well, we all KNOW what I (and everyone else) did in the dugouts at night.

The secret to maintain is: WHO we were in the dugouts WITH... :thumb: :rolleyes:
Something to say
MVP Member

Anyone remember Derby Shakes and cloverine salve? My dad used to buy us Derby Shakes ( a chocolate soda ) at Bish and Mabel's store in Tipton. Nobody ever knows what Im talking about... I don't know if it was manufactured locally or not....but it was much better than yoohoo.

How about pop machines where the glass bottles were ice cold.....and if you didn't have a dime....and was REALLY thirsty...you could pop the top off and help yourself to a soda with a straw...

I NEVER DID THAT.
:rolleyes:

OK...heading to the pharmacy for a bottle of cure-all... Im sure to wake up with blisters in my mouth..lol.
Wilson Chemical helped put Tyrone on the map with their cloverine salve...we still have an original tin, about half-full in our cabinet....lol. Lifted these pics from the web.....and NO... I don't remember the original Wilson Chemical Plant...lol.