Remember When?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Robbuck
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Remember When?

Post by Robbuck »

Yes I remember Derby Shakes.. They were the best .. Speaking of shakes.. Do you remember buying frozen milkshake candy bars at the outdoor pool?? They were like a cross between and 3 mustakeers and the milky way. Does anyone remember Peterson's store?? It was down below where the VFW is on the way to the Lions Inn. I think it later moved up to tipton when they started the redevelopment of that area.. :fogey:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Ohhhhh yeahhh... I remember milk shake candy bars! And Marathons? Remember them?

I never swam in the pool...we had an in-ground in our back yard and I wasn't allowed to swim public unless it was in the creek......lol. I had mentioned Big Tree in an earlier post in here. It was a swimming hole below the paper mill... the younger kids may have called it something else though.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Something to say wrote:Ohhhhh yeahhh... I remember milk shake candy bars! And Marathons? Remember them?

I never swam in the pool...we had an in-ground in our back yard and I wasn't allowed to swim public unless it was in the creek......lol. I had mentioned Big Tree in an earlier post in here. It was a swimming hole below the paper mill... the younger kids may have called it something else though.

I used to swim behind the VFW or up under the railroad culverts on that back road off of Grazierville.
jumper56

Post by jumper56 »

Also did not get to the 'outdoor' pool, other than to drive by, when I was growing up. And have no idea about the Derby Shakes. But I do recall a small store on Park Avenue up the street from my Aunts. An old guy ran that and sold all the 'penny candies' and the place reeked of cigar smoke, which I personally loved. Anybody know the name of that one. I can cheat and call my Mom!!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

jumper56 wrote:Also did not get to the 'outdoor' pool, other than to drive by, when I was growing up. And have no idea about the Derby Shakes. But I do recall a small store on Park Avenue up the street from my Aunts. An old guy ran that and sold all the 'penny candies' and the place reeked of cigar smoke, which I personally loved. Anybody know the name of that one. I can cheat and call my Mom!!
I remember a little store across the street from Washington School and also a store on the corner of 5th Street and Park Ave.... can't remember the name of either one. Which little store do you mean jumper ?? They are the only 2 I can think of on Park Ave.
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

That was Bruce Carpenter's store. Bill graduated with us, Patty. Located at fifth st. and park ave. If we bought a bottle of pop (15 cents) & a candy bar (5 cents) and had a quarter, he always made us take our change in penny candy. :fogey: I spent a lot of money on those 16 oz swirly bottles of perpsi-cola :thumb: He also sold derby shakes.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
newcouncilmember

Post by newcouncilmember »

what year did that store close I seem to remember it but dont know if it was from stories from my parents
Something to say
MVP Member

ahh... I used to babysit for my cousin who lived across the street from Carpenter's store...and yup Robbuck...Derby Shakes! My sister, years prior to that, lived in the little cottage on up the street next to the church. I learned how to play Kick the Can on PARK AVE...lol.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

newcouncilmember wrote:what year did that store close...
It must have been since 2004 - as robbuck posted it still being run by Sara back then:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=423&start=0

And do I ever remember Bruce and Sara Carpenter's store! When I as very young, we lived on 5th Street on the other side of Washington Avenue. Carpenter's Store was the front left-side of their house, on the northwest corner of Park Avenue and 5th Street.

I thought I'd posted some comments about Carpenter's store on this board in the past - but I can't find them. Regardless, I remember going into the store to buy some candy and pretzel rods quite often. Sara was always so warm and friendly. And if any of you remember Bruce - he was a giant of a man, with a very distinct voice (compare it to W.C. Fields http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZR02qoJ9Y4 ) , and he ALWAYS had a cigar dangling from the corner of his mouth. To a little kid, he just towered above.

Years later, when I was on the Tyrone Police force, Bruce was the Borough clerk - so I worked with him a lot. I'd, of course changed quite a bit - Bruce hadn't changed at all.

Their son Bill - previously mentioned in this thread - became a member of the (former) Citizens Fire Co when I also was a member. After graduating in 1974, Bill joined the US Marine Corps. By coincidence, I ran into him somewhere far away years later while we were both active duty military and deployed - I just can't recall where, though.

Here is what the former Carpenter's store looked like when I visited Tyrone in October of last year:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... G_6268.jpg
jumper56

Post by jumper56 »

Whoo-hoo, Carpenter's that's the one. I love cigars to this day. Oooo, doing the Tobacco Show in New Orleans in June or July and will get lots of good cigars. Now, I can't place a store near Washington school? I remember Molnar's house sorta across Park Avenue? How long ago did that store close? I did a lot of 'driving' around town, as soon as I got a license and a car, and don't remember a store down that way? Oooo, have you touched on Arch Springs another of my favorite memory spots, that you can't climb up on top of anymore. Just like you can't get back to the "Quarry Hole". Well, you can get back there but you better not. I love traipsing all over places like that when I come home and it really blows that most are privately owned and you must "Keep Out". Hey, can you still get down to Tytoona (I think that is right) Caves or is that now privately owned?? I know Indian Lookout is doable, that is State land!!!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

The little place across Park Ave from Washington School still exists, however, it has been fixed up and made into someone's home. Along with candy bars and penny candy, he used to sell licorice, little boxes of juicy fruit gummy type candy and also, tsk, tsk, can't think of the name, but,I can see the little box... the candy was a mixture of pink, white and black capsule type thingys that tasted like licorice. Not sure when the little place closed down.... I'll just say it's been a while....can't venture a guess or I would be tellin' my age. :oops: BTW, I too remember Bruce Carpenter.... didn't that store have a front porch on it at one time ?? You could go up the steps one side, cross the porch and go down the steps on the other side. I'm fuzzy there though.... whew, that's really digging way back when, lol. Thanks for all your pic's BB. :thumb:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I think we should have a drinking game where everytrime BB says "... when I was on the Tyrone Police force" you have to take a drink.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:the candy was a mixture of pink, white and black capsule type thingys that tasted like licorice.
Good N Plenty
Something to say
MVP Member

jumper56 wrote: Oooo, have you touched on Arch Springs another of my favorite memory spots, that you can't climb up on top of anymore.
My Aunt and Uncle used to live at the Silver Barn...and later moved to the farm house beside Arch Springs. I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time and vividly recall that they were butchering. One of the kittens kept getting under my uncle's feet...or maybe it was me...lol...but anyway my cousin told me they were gonna butcher the cat if I didn't take it to the house!

I took it to Arch Spring...lol....we hung out there for about an hour before I heard my aunt screaming after me hysterically...lol.

I miss those days. She used to tie a string around me with a rag on my backside and would let me slide down the bannister...( years later I found out that she was having me dust...same with clean socks on the waxed floors...I just thought I was skating ) ...lol. Innocent times... the older generation knew how keep ya busy working without you even realizing it.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

banksy wrote:I think we should have a drinking game where everytrime BB says "... when I was on the Tyrone Police force" you have to take a drink.

Image :drink: You mean - I've mentioned that BEFORE? :drink: Image