Hoagie Wars or other news?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
cwilson

Hoagie Wars or other news?

Post by cwilson »

I'll be making my annual (or sometimes semi-annual) pilgrimage to Tyrone in about a month. Are the "Hoagie Wars" :mob: still raging? Is there any other noteworthy local news?
RedhairNFreckles
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Hoagie Wars or other news?

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Um, I ain't touchin' that with a 10 foot hoagie......... :slap:
cwilson

Post by cwilson »

RedhairNFreckles wrote:Um, I ain't touchin' that with a 10 foot hoagie......... :slap:
Would that be a East End or Macs 10 foot hoagie? :mrgreen:
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

No comment. :slap:
If you remember, I was involved in the last hoagie war and almost lost my membership over it...... :rofl:
:ttiwwp:
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

My wife and son just left about 1/2 hour ago on the long drive to Tyrone; they plan to return back to South Carolina Monday evening.

If they have time, and if both places are open on Monday, I requested they bring both a Mac's and an East End hoagie back with them.

That way, I should know one way or the other who really wins the hoagie war - in MY opinion, and about 700 miles from Tyrone...
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Tough luck Beach Biker... not only is Monday Labor Day, but both places are always closed on Monday.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

banksy wrote:Tough luck Beach Biker... not only is Monday Labor Day, but both places are always closed on Monday.
Actually, I did figure that (especially based on remarks I posted here in the past about East End being closed on Monday when I went there last October).

But thanks for the set-up - my intention after my wife and son came back was to note that they were closed, and to remark on the "hoagie wars" by referencing the old question:

"What if they had a war and nobody showed up?" :jester: :rolleyes:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Well, East End closed on something like August 28th and has been closed. The resume normal operations (normal for East End) on Tuesday.... I have had both, and I can honestly say that in my opinion, while Mac's is a excellent substitute, East Ends hoagies are the better of the two and I would always go to East End over Mac's any day of the week.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

banksy wrote:... I have had both, and I can honestly say that in my opinion, while Mac's is a excellent substitute, East Ends hoagies are the better of the two and I would always go to East End over Mac's any day of the week.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have*:

- A Marios pizza.

- A bucket of chicken, or a steak sandwich, from Country School Chicken.

- A cheeseburger and fries from the Lion's Inn.

- A Paper Mill Diner hoagie.

- A Hub pizza.

- A Kienzel's chocolate drop cookie.

- Etc, etc, etc.

* = Yea, I KNOW - there I go living in the long-gone past again... :fogey: :wink: :lol:
cwilson

Post by cwilson »

BeachBiker wrote:
banksy wrote:... I have had both, and I can honestly say that in my opinion, while Mac's is a excellent substitute, East Ends hoagies are the better of the two and I would always go to East End over Mac's any day of the week.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have*:

- A Marios pizza.

- A bucket of chicken, or a steak sandwich, from Country School Chicken.

- A cheeseburger and fries from the Lion's Inn.

- A Paper Mill Diner hoagie.

- A Hub pizza.

- A Kienzel's chocolate drop cookie.

- Etc, etc, etc.

* = Yea, I KNOW - there I go living in the long-gone past again... :fogey: :wink: :lol:

Oh yeah! Pizza from the Hub and Marios! They were SOOO good! :thumb: As to the Hoagie Wars, I'll be in Tyrone next week so I'll have to try some from both places and do a taste test of my own. In fact, just to be fair, I may have to do quite a few tests while I'm there! :wink:
disneyqn71

Post by disneyqn71 »

So what exactly are you trying to compare? An original hoagie to a second rate knock off of an original? I seirously don't get it. And yeah...back to "normal" operations and busier than ever. Thanks! :mrgreen:
Leep

Post by Leep »

I wonder if anyone remembers when Hap Anders and his sweet wife Jo Ann ran the diner by the Paper Mill...I went to Haps place a lot when I was younger and he took me hunting and fishing a lot..I have some great memories of those times. He was on the top of the mountain with me and three friends from high school when I came tumbling down out of a tall tree trying to get a big coon to look down at the light Hap was holding..twenty feet and a somersault...

One night I and my wife's cousin Garr Moore sneaked into the fishing ponds out past Seven Stars, I believe it was Harpster's farm where they kept trout, both big breeders and younger fish they stocked Spruce Creek with..We would thread on a worm and cast by moonlight into one of the three ponds and soon had a couple big black garbage bags filled with BIG Brown trout...

We sneaked out like ninjas down the driveway and across a the field where we left the car, dumped the fish, bags and all, into the back seat, drove without lights for a couple hundred yards and drove like fools back to town..I walked up to the back door of the railroad car/caboose? Hap looked out and seeing us came outside and asked, "Nork, what are you two up to?" I said, "Hap, you want some really nice trout?"
He looked in the bags, got a big grin on his face and said, "Go around and come in the front door." Hap went in the back door and dumped all those big Browns into the sink..Garr and I walked in the front door and sat down.. He said to Jo Ann, "Give Nork and Gary anything they want honey, on us."

A little later we sat eating a hamburger and fries with cold pop and people started coming in after a shift change or the end of a ball game, I can't really remember what..

There were probably 10 or 12 people in there then besides us and one guy yelled ."Hey Hap, what's the special tomorrow?"

Hap looked around from the sink, elbows deep in fish and fish innards and with a big grin said..."Trout."

Everyone nodded and said that sounds good while Garr and I nearly choked to death trying to keep from laughing...
We never did go fishing there again although I continued to sneak into Spruce Creek a couple times each summer. I'd walk across the fields with a gun case slung over my shoulder, like I was going ground hog hunting, which I did a lot back then. "I'd walk down off the bank and take my fishing tackle out of my gun case , go fishing for a couple hours, transfer my fish and rod to the gun case, walk back out, waving to the guy haying the field and head home..

One day I fished up a little farther than usual, getting a couple hundred yards from the clubhouse and ran into a couple or three guys walking down the bank of the creek wearing suits. I nodded nonchalantly and turned and walked slowly back the way I came. I knew instinctively what happened.....They were secret service and were walking ahead of President Carter as he was flyfishing his way down stream..Harpster always released a bunch of those Big Browns right before a president came to visit and fish..If I remember correctly, Reagan did the same thing a few times...

Now, I would have stuck around and took the chance of talking them into allowing me to see President Reagan. That would have been something to tell my kids and grand kids about..

I wouldn't have walked ten feet to see Carter though... Never cared for the man and nothing he has done since he was voted out has made we wish anything different had happened...

And you all think you had full childhoods...... :D :fogey:

Leep: