Growing up in the 70's and 80's

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
NMB[shorty]1975
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Re: Growing up in the 70's and 80's

Post by NMB[shorty]1975 »

BeachBiker wrote:
NMB[shorty]1975 wrote:As a kid in the 70's walking down the streets and alleys of Tyrone with out fear...

Well...

...Tyrone certainly DID have some great police officers back in the 70s and 80s to keep things safe! Image :fogey: :wall: :jester:

But around my neighborhood, you all were 'town clowns'

:jester:
Normal is vastly overrated.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

NMB[shorty]1975 wrote:
BeachBiker wrote:
NMB[shorty]1975 wrote:As a kid in the 70's walking down the streets and alleys of Tyrone with out fear...

Well...

...Tyrone certainly DID have some great police officers back in the 70s and 80s to keep things safe! Image :fogey: :wall: :jester:

But around my neighborhood, you all were 'town clowns'

:jester:

hahahahahaha... esp that one we called barney fife... Jeff somebody... went out with that Wike girl... what a dweeb.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

tyroniepa wrote:What do you miss the most????
Today (Labor Day) reminded me of something else - the Tyrone Community Picnic.

The sound of horseshoes.

Seeing folks I hadn't seen...since last year's Community Picnic. Relatives. Friends. Neighbors. Former classmates. People I knew to see, but couldn’t put a name to. But Mom and Dad always knew them.

That chicken roasting on the pits...and later resting on my plate.

The Fire Police directing traffic and other activities to ensure all went smooth and safe, and - as usual - giving up their own time for recreation in order to sacrifice and serve the community without so much as a dime in return.

Tyrone Borough and (the former) Snyder Township Police working on a holiday to also do their duty. Seeing them do so in the 1960’s and early 1970’s - and not knowing that I’d be one of them in the later 1970’s and 1980’s…

Kids playing in the creek, catching "minnies", "crabs", and salamanders in Styrofoam cups - and me wanting to say "Hey kid, I caught that "minnie's" great great great (etc) grandfather just like that when I was a little kid".

The games for kids. The members and other volunteers of the local civic/community organizations sponsoring and running them. The looks on the kids' faces - and the looks on the faces of those civic organization folks too (as I type this, I can recall our very own fellow board member Robbuck excitedly conducting one of those kids events, with a big smile on his face, when I was home on leave from the military in about 1988. It was at THAT very moment I remembered - at least I'm FAIRLY sure - that HE was the one who tripped both Sherman Nelson and Stevie Townsend to win the foot race back in about 1962. Or maybe I tripped Sherm and Stevie, but BLAMED it on Robbuck. I really cant remember...

Parents telling their kids to stay away from the grill to keep from getting burned. Or to be careful running, playing, etc to keep from getting hurt. Kids getting hurt anyway, and being treated by the Hookies Ambulance crew and volunteer firefighters who also sacrificed personal time to serve the community on this day. Yea, I saw them as a kid, and was one of them too from early in the 1970’s through part of the 1980s…

Going over on the Reservoir Drive side of things and seeing "Basketball Jones and Tyrone Shoelaces” (Cheech and Chong reference there, folks) shooting hoops and pickup games on the court.

Going across Reservoir Drive to the Community Pool for the last swim of the season.

Walking around the lake. Feeding the ducks. Spotting “minnies“, “sunnies”, salamanders, and trout. Knowing that in just over a month, the fall foliage will cause the reflections from those trees will make a spectacular scene as viewed from each side. Remembering the old tale my cousin told about the long-ago time he, Tony (or was it Frankie/”Bucky”?) Owens, and a couple other kids built a raft, launched it on the lake to do some fishing, hooked a carp - and they overturned and all fell in the drink trying to land it.

The fish pond at the entrance off Janesville Pike.

The stone drinking fountains.

The sound of cars going over the one-lane bridges.

Folks playing bingo at the main pavilion. Donated prizes. Folks eying up what they hoped to win. Folks watching as someone else won first and took their desired prize - then quickly getting “set” again and deciding on what they would take instead if the caller would just announce that one number…

The contests for: biggest family, oldest, youngest (you could only win that one once…), traveled the farthest, etc.

A band playing, and dancing on the large floor, at the old bandstand pavilion (long before it’s demise from a snow-induced cave-in). The band that played “wipe-out” constantly back in the 1960’s - and not knowing that in the 1970’s I’d be the drummer for a band that featured several if those same members…

Candy, cap guns and caps, wooden glider airplanes, etc from the concession booths.

The playground area. Swings, slides, see-saws. Those things you got on and made go around in circles to make you dizzy.

The old military veterans sitting around - and limping around - reminiscing. They didn't have to tell their stories - you could just imagine them yourself by their proud smiles, worn but still able quite bodies, patches and caps, and expressive eyes. And - I never imagined that some day, if I return to Tyrone for a Community Picnic, I'll be one of them too. :fogey:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I hope the Community Picnic is still a tradition. When I think of it overall, it just puts in perspective that the youth of the Tyrone is its future. That the elders have earned a status through living their lives in different ways - but as indeed a “community”. Some of those “kids” go through those various transitions in Tyrone over the years.

Some move away.

Some go away to college and return.

Some go away for military service and return. Some who are listed on special rosters - and a monument in soldier park (like my brother’s namesake) - who never return from military service due to the ultimate sacrifice.

Some of them return to live.

Some of them return to visit.

Some of them never return, living the rest of their lives elsewhere.

Such is a “community” - and why I think of and reminisce, in a thread titled “Growing up in the 70's and 80's”, about the Community Picnic in this response.
NMB[shorty]1975
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by NMB[shorty]1975 »

I have been thinking about this question and have come up with a few more things.

I miss radio stations that not only give you the time on a regular basis, but also would give the title of a song and the name of the group.

I miss fishing in the Bald Eagle Creek at Big Tree.

I miss riding out to Vail by way of the dirt road through the old Minor League baseball area.

I also miss going to East End on a Friday or Saturday night, getting a foot long hot dog, a small pizza, a can of Pepsi, playing the pinball machine and the jukebox.

Heck I even miss being thrown out of the place after playing "Maggie May" one time too many.

tyroniepa wrote:We need a new topic!

What do you miss the most????
Normal is vastly overrated.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Wow Beachbiker..... you took me back to those picnics! I saw what you saw....heard what you heard...and smelled the chicken too. What a pleasant trip down memory lane.

And NMB...we used to swim at Big Tree when I was a kid in the 60s. Glad to know someone else knows where that is....lol.