Bi-Lo Closing

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
curvefan

Bi-Lo Closing

Post by curvefan »

Wow! This is devastating news.

We sort of figured it was coming, but it's still a shock.

We've shopped there for many years and will definitely miss the convenience of shopping in Tyrone, as opposed to running to Altoona or Bellwood.

Hope the employees are offered opportunities elsewhere.

Maybe someone will step up and take it over and keep it running as a grocery store.

One can only hope.........................
Robbuck
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Bi-Lo Closing

Post by Robbuck »

BI-LO has left the building. :( :banghead:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
jokerman

Post by jokerman »

Now that Bi-Lo has closed, I find it more and more inconvenient to travel up the highway for groceries. Sure, there is a Sav-A-Lot in town, but I've hardly ever gone there, and the times I do, I'm sort of put off by the unfamiliar brand names and questionable quality associated with those. Sure, you can get bread and milk at Sheetz, but what's up with the Sheetz brand bread??? Maybe I'm (admittedly) a bit hung up on brand-name food, but quality and reputation mean something, as well as the old adage, "You get what you pay for".
That said, the purpose of this post is actually to ask if our borough officials are working on plans to bring in another grocery chain to occupy the former Bi-Lo building or are we going to allow yet another commercial building to sit empty and rot away or fall down? That seems to be a growing trend in Tyrone.
More disturbing still, I can't help but notice in my travels in Blair and surrounding counties, that many towns similiar in size and stature to Tyrone are thriving while we are quickly becoming a ghost town of sorts. Communities such as Phillipsburg, Huntingdon, Roaring Spring, and yes, even Bellwood, have many more businesses and general social activity than Tyrone. We Golden Eagle football fans have long looked down on these particular towns as somehow being inferior to us because of our tradition and success on the gridiron; but looking at the big picture, that's the only advantage we have, and that's a very insignificant one.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Bi-Lo closed.... and there isn't anyone waiting in line to step in....this is beyond comprehension. :rolleyes:
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

:w First of all Hi everyone.. Been a while.. However I have good news. Can't believe no one has posted this news yet. :D :D :bluebounce: :thumb: William McCarthy and his wife are in negotiations to buy the Bi-lo Store from Tops. They say they are expecting to open around the end of August or beginning of September. The store will be a Country Market. You may remember The new owner. He used to be part owner of the A & P in Tyrone. Except we called him Doug back then. They are going to renovate the store and repave the parking lot. Best of luck to them. We really need this store.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment