Things I Miss About Tyrone

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
smboats
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by smboats »

Banksy-Would that be Dirty Franks-where all the newspaper reporters hang out? Used to go to DF's for lunch when our company was located close to them.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Yup... loved the beer and wings there.
ragged_scooper

Post by ragged_scooper »

Back to the ice cream place that was down by the river and the pedestrian bridge that went over it to the train station...

For a while that was Long's Dairy Store before they moved up by the radio station. I and a friend, don't remember which one (Scordo?), used to go down there and get a pint of ice cream for a quarter and eat it while sitting on that curb. The dang thing stuck up about a foot, if I remember right. That would have been around when I was 10-12 and the years would have been somewhere around 1958-ish. Also, I can remember my step-grandfather used to stop at Pikes ice cream place and bring me a huge come with probably a pint of ice cream in it. WOW!!! Those were the days, when eating a pint of ice cream was ok and didn't make you gain 5 pounds!

Also, later in my life, by a little, Terry Varner and I used to ride our bikes out to Vale almost every day in the summer and then come back into Pike's and get a milkshake. We talked the girl/woman in there into making us custom made shakes. You know, like the suicide shake with all the flavors. It got to where she would think of something to make for us with all kinds of different flavors and then when we got there it was already made. Very cool, especially for a couple of young teen boys.
I used to watch golf on TV, but my doctor said I needed more exercise, so now I watch tennis!
Leep

Post by Leep »

Anyone remember a store called Sullys?
I used to go there on the very rare occasion when I had a quarter and get a huge plate of French fries and a large pop..
Oh, a lot of good memories that people have. A little curious though as the vast majority refer to either food or drink... :P

Myself.. I remember and miss the times I spent just growing up in and around Tyrone.
We lived in Ironsville twice..yeah I know it is really Ironville, but I never heard anyone call it that.
We lived out at Eden Hill until faulty wiring burned down our home and everything we owned..I had the misfortune to be sleeping alone on the couch. Just graduated from High School in Tyrone.
Course, I used to sleep in the bedroom that the fire started in. The fire marshal said if I had been in there I'd have never wakened..
I remember living down in Birmingham, my mom made a deal with the old lady that owned the house we bought..
She used the money we got from having to move from that apartment building that was down by the VFW when they put in the overpass..
Can't remember the name of that place-i believe it was above a bowling alley???
Anyway, she used that money for the down payment and we lived there in Birmingham until the place burned down a couple Novembers ago. Wiring again...
I am glad my Mom and Dad weren't still alive to see that-it would have broken their hearts..
We were related to-at one time-to everyone in Birmingham...every other house was either a relative or one through marriage...
Anyway, good stuff people...
Take care;
Leep Out:
JLeeper

Hey Brother.....

Post by JLeeper »

That building was called, "The Opera House"....right across from the VFW....

I hated living there, as a little guy....no place to play!

New house on the old property.
One of the reasons I love living in rural Pa...When our home burned, Everybody and his brother showed up to help out.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it's in English, thank a soldier.
Leep

Post by Leep »

Yeah but I wish they wouldn't have kept throwing more wood on it and they never offered us any of their hot dogs or marshmallows... :?

Leep Out:
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

OK, it's been awhile since I've posted.....<waving to everybody>......
I'm going to talk about Sinking Valley....(pre-Amish)
My uncle, aunt and cousins had a beautiful dairy farm in Sinking Valley. I remember going out there during many summers and "helping" while I was on vacation. The life of a farmer isn't easy. They never were able to take a decent vacation, and then rarely, and I mean rarely, only a day or two away from the farm. Up way before dawn, chasing the cows into the barn rain or snow, for the first day's milking, "stripping and dipping" the teats, squirting milk at the lined up meowing cats....oh my gosh, ANOTHER litter was born overnight! Before the new milking parlor was built this was all done "the ol fashioned way".....back breaking work, to say the least. Not only did the herd need tending, but they raised and stored their own feed....ANOTHER full-time job. I remember one year when my cousin had a terrible hand injury and lost a finger or two while running equipment. The work still needed to be done and the neighbors all pitched in and helped them get thru the crisis. THAT's what I love about Pennsylvania folks....and one reason why I'm proud to have been born one!
As it turned out, they lost their milk market and sold the farm to some NY Amish. To drive by the old farm place now is like being in a time-warp of 100 years ago in the past. I know they probably miss some parts of the life of a farmer but at least now they can take a vacation....
ragged_scooper

Post by ragged_scooper »

This is something that I remember doing when I was around 11. It's probably my first job in Tyrone, I was a pinboy at the local bowling alley across the street from the VFW. As I remember they had 8 lanes and there were enough pinboys that we each had two lanes to cover.

Anyone remember the name of it?

For that time period it was only just slightly modern in that when we set the pins we didn't have to put them on the little spikes that came up through the floor. They had a rack that we put them in and all we had to do to reset the full rack was to pull the string. Of coures, we had to pick up the balls and put them in the return lane and pick up all the picks that were knocked down. We also had to sit above and behind the rack and pins and hope that none of them would fly up and kill us when someone would throw the ball down there at 90mph. Sometimes it was pretty close!

It was pretty neat for a little kid, making your own money to spend. We generally made more money in tips than we got paid. I think we got 10 cents a line and the bowlers would usually toss us down a quarter or 50 cents for our job if we did good.

It was also there that I experienced my first cigarette. The older boys, 12-13, pretty much forced me into trying it. Didn't like it then, but when I was 15 I did. What happened???

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I used to watch golf on TV, but my doctor said I needed more exercise, so now I watch tennis!
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Well, my dear Brother, I do not remember that bowling alley since you are somewhat older than me. But I do remember driving out of town past the VFW and seeing the trees and houses all lined up on both sides of the street. And going down past Peterson's store and stopping at the Lions' Inn for a hamburger or ice cream cone. :thumb: I was also thinking the other day someone said they hope I-99 gets done before it becomes obsolete. If you think about it, I learned to drive shortly after the first part of "the bypass" (Tyrone to Tipton) was built in 1972. The road wasn't even opened yet and Dad took me up there in our '69 Ford 500 XL and taught me to drive. :roll: That was 35 years ago and we still haven't got it done :nuts: .Amazing!!! Maybe someday we will drive from Bedford to Bellefonte without stopping.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
scoutmom

Post by scoutmom »

Don't count on it Buck. At the rate they're building we'll be lucky to see it reach State College! :lol:

Anyway, what I really miss is Hub Pizza. :( I would love to have somebody duplicate that and start a shop. For now I guess I'll settle for Mac's. It's really good.
stop and take time to smell the flowers
Ray I.

Post by Ray I. »

I,m New to this forum,but not to this town! I grew up in sinking valley but I played football along with the Adams School Possum Stompers! Reading all the comments here has brought back sooo many memories and I had tears in my eyes from laughin' so hard. Those Days are fond memories for me.Thanks for the laugh guys.
DreamWeaver

I miss Tyrone...

Post by DreamWeaver »

I moved out of Tyrone about 7 years ago and didn't realize how much I miss the small town life until I read all of your posts. I live in Las Vegas now which is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum! Tyrone was a great place to grow up. East End hoagies, the Snowcone stand that used to set up across from the Y, the parades and football games. Good families, good friends and a great town!
Meaux

gone but not forgotten

Post by Meaux »

climbing the "Legion Cliff"...playing ball on that field...the rickety bridge across Schell Run (not the stone bridge, but the OTHER one)

the great ball field at the high school and sitting on the bank watching games...and the guys in the parking lot

hanging on the fence at the pool..and watching the guys in the parking lot

crab cakes at Fern's Restaurant in Grazierville

pretzel rods when you shopped at Morris Levine's shoe store

Reservoir Park at all ages...the swings and playing in the creek/crick in elementary school days...smokin a doobie in high school days...picnicking in family days...now just walking the dogs!

the cherry candy with the green plastic stick from Gardner's (assume litigation, choke hazards, etc made those too dangerous for consumption now!)
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I miss ice skating on the pond at Reservoir Park. Playing "crack the whip" and taking turns being on the tail end.... going faster and faster, hanging on for dear life to the person next to you. Finally, you were going so fast, you had to let go.... you would then go flying across the pond (usually on your butt) into a snow bank as everyone cheered you on. Those were the good 'ole days :D
Beck

Post by Beck »

walking home from dances held at the old pavilion at the park and never having to worry about being abducted... playing simple games like freeze tag and hide and seek. Stopping at your neighbors house to use the bathroom or grab a drink of water... Every Saturday my parents gave me $2.00 to walk to the 5 and 10 in town and I felt like I had a million dollars.. stopping in at Mikes Cutrate for a good ole white lightening.. and meeting my friends there! Sure was good times... we need to share all this with our children and our childrens children over and over again...