Things I Miss About Tyrone

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Things I Miss About Tyrone

Post by banksy »

While I get back as much as I can to visit my family, I there were two things I missed about Tyrone when I moved to Ohio: Sheetz Hot Dogs and East End Hoagies.

Now I only miss East End Hoagies since we have a Sheetz just down the road, but East End Hoagies are the hardest thing to buy, especially if I only get to visit around holidays when East End is usually closed.

Can someone build an East End website and sell those hoagies online and have them shipped overnight like Omaha Steaks and stuff. Throw some Middleswarth in their too, cause I can not get them out here either.

I miss watching Little League games too.
Mark Fink

Post by Mark Fink »

I agree banksy. We don't even have Sheetz in GA. There have got to be enough ex-Tyroners out here to make it worth their while to go online.

By the way, how bad do you want those Middleswarth? http://www.netsnackworld.com/Chips.html will mail them to you if you need a fix.

Post by Guest »

Banksy, I am not real sure but I think I read somewhere that in the past East End has shipped hogies elsewhere, Its worth a try!
Kbowden

Post by Kbowden »

Anonymous wrote:Banksy, I am not real sure but I think I read somewhere that in the past East End has shipped hogies elsewhere, Its worth a try!
I don't think they mail them out themselves, but I know of a women who worked there and she mailed them to her daughter, via overnight mail with a cold pak.. something to think about. cause yes I miss them very much..too. HA! Kathy(Aults)Bowden
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

I miss the East End Hoagies and Sheetz Hot Dogs, too.

Then again, I recall posting here about a year or two ago about how I couldn't wait to visit Tyrone again in order to eat at Country School Chicken, the Hub, Mario's, Lion's Inn, etc. :roll:

Seriously though, just this past Monday we went to a newly-opened buffet here in Myrtle Beach called East of Chicago Pizza (a chain), and their thick-crust pizza was exactly like East End's. Especially their mushroom topping, I'm sure you could put a slice from each place side by side, eat each one, and not be able to tell which was which.

There is also a pizza place here that has pizza that is identical to what Marios had.

So I guess for those of us no longer there, if we are lucky, we can maybe find something close to what is still back in Tyrone. Or what used to be...
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

I also remember the last time we visited Tyrone, about 8 years ago, we got East End Hoagies right before we left to come back home to the beach. We put them in a cooler, with the intent to eat them on the beach upon our return.

Well, they didn't last that long. The empty wrappers ended up in the trash at a rest stop in Virginia.

And the strange thing is, the same thing had happened to a Mario's pizza box and sub wrappers the previous year.

Same rest stop, too. :? :lol:
redshoes

Post by redshoes »

Next time you come into town try the Doghouse. It is awesome. I think it ranks right up there with Texas and Austin Hotdogs. The fries with Chili and Cheese.., YUM!
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

We had the recipe for the Texas Hot Dogs sauce (the one that was at the old Pinecroft/220 intersection) at Country School Chicken. A lot of folks used to remark that they couldn't tell the difference. That was understandable, as we used not only the same sauce recipe and ingredients, but the same hot dogs and rolls too.

If I look hard enough, I probably still have that recipe somewhere.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Does anyone remember the "belly buster" at Lions Inn? I can only remember having it once but it has stuck with me forever.
And Beach Biker, you can buy a pre-made pizza shell and throw some sauce and cheese on it and have an east end pizza... they do have pre-made shells there at the Food Lion don't they? ha ha...
I can say that I leave Tyrone, and enjoy myself, but can't really imagine me going to far from Home. I'd miss the chats with friends in the grocery store. Or the roar of the fans at the Tyrone Golden Eagle football games. Going to the wrestling matches to help cheer on a friends child. And like today, I would miss having the opportunity to walk through the park and listening to the leaves fall. There are alot of good things about growing up and leaving Tyrone, but I have to smile at what I have here at home. And also the opportunity to go and visit those that live "on the beach".
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

I was a little girl then, but my family owned the Lions Inn. - and Yes they did have great food!!
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Banksy,

I saw that you posted quite a while ago about middleswarth potato chips. There actually is a website you can order them from. It is http://www.pasnacks.com -My husband is a big fan of those as well.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Thanks Girl.
RG-SD-Stewart

Post by RG-SD-Stewart »

Well....I am new to this sight and I have never stepped foot in Tyrone.

My husband, however, grew up there and talks about it all the time.

I have heard so many stories... I just laugh at some of the things he and his friends did! :lol:

I have heard ALL about middleswarth potato chips and the chocolate place.

We took a family vacation a couple years back and we really wanted to swing into Tyrone to see everything and he wanted to show me where he grew up, but we just didn't get the time to do so. :(

Randy and I have talked about moving to Tyrone after he retires from the Air Force... but we are still in the air about everything. :shock:

I came from a small town in Indiana and I love small towns!!! I just wish that the small towns would put more out there for the younger folks. They just don't offer them anything and then cry when they start drinking and turning to drugs.

Our kids ARE our future and without them......... Nuff said.
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

I was raised in Tyrone and it was a great place to grow up. I have so many fond memories of my childhood. I love to go down memory lane once in a while.
Friday night football games, Citizens carnival, playing ball at firemans field, the community swimming pool, ice skating at Reservoir Park, high school dances. The food was the best anywhere...EAST END Hoagies and pizza, Sheetz hot dogs, middleswarth chips, Hires rootbeer, Gardners candy, Mario had the best stromboli around. We were lucky kids, times were so different.
It breaks my heart to hear of the drug problems in the area. I don't get home that often but when I do I love to see the Welcome to Pennsylvania sign. So, if you get the chance, visit Tyrone and enjoy some good food and a great little small town.[/code]
Kbowden

Tyrone is a great hometown to be from

Post by Kbowden »

I'm another one who was born & raised in Tyrone, all of my family are from Tyrone and it will always be my hometown. It was a great little town to be from with alot of fond memories, and I was from east tyrone, which we had the best neighborhood too, no one ever locked their doors and we were all like one big family.. which your right another time, when life was a bit easier and we didn't have anything to deal with like the kids of today do. but I am proud to say I'm from Tyrone, it still home..away from home/