Things I Miss About Tyrone

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

Blain wrote: One day my Dad came home from working 2nd shift. I was watching TV and he came in and said "Guess what I just saw - a set of t**s!" Whoa, what? Turns out he was driving down Columbia avenue and there was a woman standing in her window, naked. Just standing there in full view, well aware of what she was doing.

Dad then says "I was so shocked, I drove around the block and had another look just to make sure I wasn't seeing things!".
I recall in the late 70s to early 80s there were 2 lesbians who lived together along Columbia Ave around 20th or 21 St that used to keep their window shades and drapes open all the time. They used to run around their house naked day and (especially) night; it was easy to see them inside walking around, occasionally either fighting or "making up".

It was hard to avoid noticing when out on patrol. I can recall maybe twice receiving complaints about them, and only when they were fighting.

I knew both of them, but won't say who they were on a public forum. One was originally from Tyrone, the other from out in the midwest and moved back there a few years later. Both were nice girls, but really got into it when fighting.

Maybe your Dad saw one of them. Both were reasonably attractive, especially the taller one (the one from the midwest).
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

djbigdawg1 wrote:what was Jean-os before it became Jean-os????
I can't remember, but she opened Jean-os in about 1980 or 1981.

The building was already there, and had been used for a business before. I'm thinking it had been used as a place that sold housewares, linens, or some type of second-hand items - but I think it had been empty for awhile before Jean-os opened.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Before it was Jean-O's there was a place called Dog and Custard there.

Great soft serve ice cream, crappy hot dogs.
ho89gt

What was there before jenos!

Post by ho89gt »

Yep your right Harlow there used to be a place called the dog and custard where Jenos is now located....I don't know excatly when it closed but I can remember it just alittle from when I was little..The places that don't get talked about are the little backyard shops in little Italy ...When I was a kid growing up on 23rd street I was made to go get fresh vegies just about everynight from one of the local Italians garage...Couldn't get them in the store now for what they sold them back then for...I checked recently and just about all the older Italian people that were located in that area are now deceased and non-italian people have moved in...guess little Italy is gone forever..Those lesbians you talk about lived on my block and man you should have seen some of the softball partys they threw WOW!!!--LOL!!
Blain

Post by Blain »

BeachBiker wrote:
Maybe your Dad saw one of them. Both were reasonably attractive, especially the taller one (the one from the midwest).
No, it wasn't them. This was several blocks south of there. I know who it was but, like you, won't say on a public forum.

I can still see the big grin on Dad's face.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

hey i know who you are talking about when you say about lil' italy. his first name was tony and he walked or drove by my house every day to tend to his garden. his garden was beside the creek that ran past stewarts old place. his stock was definitely better priced and tasted better than most store bought veggies. wow what a flashback.....

don't remember the lesbians tho.......think i would remember something like that in my youth. cannot believe i missed the peep show in the 'hood.

how many out there ordered thru the sears catalogs when they were in town??
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

God bless Lesbians!
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

AMEN BROTHER BANKSY!!!!!!!
Dirty dogg

Post by Dirty dogg »

BeachBiker wrote:
djbigdawg1 wrote:Sally's corner was located on Pennsy Ave where Kelly Wike has her insurance company building.
I agree with the subsequent posts. It was in East End, but I can't remember exactly where.

Perhaps out around Columbia Ave and 20th St, near Benji Johnson's?

djbigdawg1 wrote:Didn't they block off the one street out by Phillips Real Estate on Washington Ave.?
Yep, it was 4th Street, beside Joyce Philips Real Estate, from Washington Ave to Park Ave.

I used to live right beside there. I remember one day I had just got ready for work when I heard - and FELT - a loud thump! on the wall facing the hill. I looked out my bedroom window and saw that a young guy that I didn't recognize, about 14 years old, had lost control coming down the hill and crashed into my place.

I opened the back door, almost right beside him, to make sure he was OK. He looked up at me, dressed in a Tyrone Police Uniform and quickly stated "I don't know why these people here called you, Officer - it was an ACCIDENT!".

djbigdawg1 wrote:Also the MANY football games played at the Cemetary and high school pratice field (NOW the elementary school) with frozen footballs.
Speaking of football and the high school practice field, does anyone remember the "goodwill" football games we had between the police department (and some firemen, etc) and the youths of Tyrone? They were commonly called the "Cops versus the Heads" games.

There were some good games; many of the players on both sides were former high school football players. But the "Cops" had one advantage that we didn't make public knowledge: we were used to playing together as a team because we were in an Intramural league that played every Saturday or Sunday at the fields behind the State Police barracks in Holidaysburg.

A lot of the "Heads" tried to get in some "cheap shots", though. Especially at some of the "Cops" who weren't exactly "popular" with the youth population.
HEADS; Kenny Decker-Wide R,Dave Harris,Mark Mingal,Harry Lewis,Mebs Lewis,Chook Riggleman,Just a few i remember.I was to small but I saw alot of those games.Used to be a hoot seeing revenge delt out.SHEA STADIUM STONERS!!!!!!!!I wonder if I been busted by a beach biker?
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Dirty dogg wrote:I wonder if I been busted by a beach biker?
No, I think you are too young.

Now Kenny Decker... well...

Harry and Mebs Lewis (and the OLDER of the Lewis clan) never "busted"; heck, we were "known associates" at some points...
mweight

funny

Post by mweight »

see and them two always tells me that they never did nothing bad ....lol we all know better then that , I am their little sister
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Re: funny

Post by BeachBiker »

mweight wrote:see and them two always tells me that they never did nothing bad ....lol we all know better then that , I am their little sister
No, they were actually great guys. Harry especially was one of the first people you would think of if someone mentioned the old saying about "he would give someone the shirt off his back". And always very outgoing. If I recall right, Butch and Bonnie were the oldest, and there was a wide age range in the family, so I barely recall you.

Gosh, I hope I'm remembering all this right...
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Merry Christmas

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Merry Christmas to everyone in Tyrone. I love to read about all of the "old times" and "good times we all had back in the day".

Sure would be nice to have some East End Hoagies and Gardners candy...

Merry Christmas everyone, I wish you all health and happiness and a wonderful New Year.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

Boy isn't it fun watching those procastinators doing their last minute shopping? Now don't getme wrong, i'm really not done yet (stocking stuffers, batteries and lil' odds and ends to get) but the bulk of mine is already done. Just seeing these people running from store to store, trying to find that gift they were meaning to buy months ago and cannot find it. I was like that a few years ago, the fun of shopping Wal-Mart at 3am December 23rd was GREAT! But now my kids' are getting older AND more specific about what they want for Christmas sooooo no more surprise gifts anymore........well maybe one or 2!

Wish I could help ya Blueeyes with the east end hoagies and Gardners candies.......hmmmmmmmm maybe I should start a mailing business for ex-Tyronites living abroad???? Post office workers will go nuts with the smell of onions on an East End hoagie.........LOL

Have a VERY Merry Christmas!!!
Kbowden

east end hoagies

Post by Kbowden »

hey, that sounds really good right now, east end hoagies & gardners candy, if you start that mailing I want on that list...gotta love those east end hoagies.....