Things I Miss About Tyrone

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

In the good 'ole summertime.... Almost every morning riding your bicycle out to the "Park Avenue Playground," participating in everything and anything that was going on at the time..ie., making colorful lanyards ( out of gimp )to wear around your neck... then attaching your house key to the hook at the end. Riding home at lunch time for a bite to eat then peddling ALL the way up to the swimming pool... showing our pass to Mrs. Speace. Spending the whole afternoon swimming then jumping on the bicycle and trying not to peddle one time and not hold onto the handle bars at all.... in doing so, making it all the way from the swimming pool down to 10th Street.... making the turn down the alley off of 14th street (by Pauline's house) was rough, but, could be done :P . I might add... we NEVER had to worry about anyone taking our bicycles.... and, we really didn't need to have a house key.... rarely, did anyone lock their door. :D
DonkeyHoagie

Post by DonkeyHoagie »

I long to hear the melancholy cry of the Paper Mill whistle.
noon
When a lad in class, there was nothing like the tender urgency of a 130-decibel steam whistle reminding you that the day--and time, itself--was slipping by.
On some days, if I close my eyes and let myself slip into that blissful nether-dimension of neither sleep, nor wakedness, I swear I can hear it. Calling me.
And on days when I am passed out under the bridge by the mill.
Jerry, I know myself. And if I'm on the streets, and it starts to go down, I don't back off, until it's finished.
http://www.dotpenn.com
Let them cruise

Post by Let them cruise »

I miss the Hub. Not the pizza. Just the Hub.
RonerAtHeart

Post by RonerAtHeart »

maybe this was covered sometime earlier on the board... anyone remember Freddy the Stalker on Park Avenue in the mid 80s?
barelygettingby

Re: Things I Miss About Tyrone

Post by barelygettingby »

A FEW THINGS I MISS ABOUT TYRONE IS MC CRORYS AND WIDMANS. I LOVED GOING IN THERE WHEN I WAS LITTLE AND BEING ABLE TO GO DIRECTLY TO THE TOY SECTION AND BUY SOMETHING!!! THE DOWNTOWNER ( I REMEMBERED IT AS COMMUNITY RESTURAUNT) WAS A FAVORITE PLACE THAT I WENT WITH MY MOM QUITE OFTEN TO EAT!!! I FORGOT ALL ABOUT BYCYCLE HARRY, BUT AS SOON AS I READ SOME OF THE FORUMS ABOUT HIM, I REMEMBERED SEEING HIM ALL THE TIME AND YELLING " THERES BYCYCLE HARRY!!!!" LOL!!!! I ALSO MISS AMES!!! HOW CONVENIENT WAS IT TO TRAVEL 5 MINUTES AWAY TO SHOP INSTEAD OF ALL THE WAY TO ALTOONA OR STATE COLLEGE? :D
redhead+2

Post by redhead+2 »

I remember sled riding on the hill behind church of the good shepard, don't know if they still do that or not, I moved away in 1985 at the age of 12. I also remember ice skating up at the reservoir park, do they still do that?

Another thing I remember was the donut shop downtown by the railroad bridge?? I don't remember the name but I remember the smell was just soooooooooooo wonderfull!!

I also remember going to dinner at the Villa and seeing all the lobsters in the tank!!!

Ahhhhh the childhood memories!!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

redhead+2 wrote:I remember sled riding on the hill behind church of the good shepard, don't know if they still do that or not, I moved away in 1985 at the age of 12. I also remember ice skating up at the reservoir park, do they still do that?

Another thing I remember was the donut shop downtown by the railroad bridge?? I don't remember the name but I remember the smell was just soooooooooooo wonderfull!!

I also remember going to dinner at the Villa and seeing all the lobsters in the tank!!!

Ahhhhh the childhood memories!!
Was that donut shop Fosters....Oh I miss that also :D
redhead+2

Post by redhead+2 »

Fosters is the place!!!! Never smelled another bakery that smelled quite like that one!!!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Nothing like fresh made donuts from there...I am not sure of what it was called but I would get one that was sort of twisted with PB on top and crushed peanuts. :D
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

redhead+2... No, they no longer ice skate up at the park. As a matter of fact, I don't even think that pond freezes over like it use to. Ahhh those were the fun days... playing crack the whip and being on the end of that whip, letting go and flying into a snow bank along the edge of the pond. I don't remember of anyone ever getting hurt... we really did have fun up there. We use to walk up there and back, from downtown, in the freezing cold weather. On the way home we would stop at East End Pizza, sit at a little table off to the right as you walk in and eat a hoagie. Can't remember his name but one of Kays brothers (not Butch) was always playing the pin ball machine.... he was just a little kid, maybe 7 or 8 (just guessing) but a true pinball wizard, LOL. Howd and Louise was always there to make our hoagies. I won't even guess what year that could have been but,..... but, .... it was 1950something :shock: ..... Ahhh, the good 'ole days :D
Leep

Post by Leep »

I miss sitting/standing in my old tree stand in Hundred Springs and listening for the 7 o'clock whistle and the one at 4.....

Mostly, I miss everything and everyone that isn't there anymore....
I guess you can go home again, but it isn't ever really home anymore.... :fogey:
Leep Out;
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Heraclitus: "You can't step into the same river twice."

Leep..every time you post I think my children have logged in here. You share the same name. I believe you are distant cousins.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Leep wrote:I miss sitting/standing in my old tree stand in Hundred Springs and listening for the 7 o'clock whistle and the one at 4.....

Mostly, I miss everything and everyone that isn't there anymore....
I guess you can go home again, but it isn't ever really home anymore.... :fogey:
Leep Out;

Yes, the simple things in life.......
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Playing PeeWee baseball on the Legion field...That thing seemed so big back then :D
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!