WHO DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST TYRONE COP??????????

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

Post by guest »

i hear congratulations are in order for George Swander. Because of some military service, he will hired as the next full time officer for tyrone borough. Although he has only been on the force for less that 6 month or so, someone thinks he is the best for the job. The sad part is, there are several other police officers on the force that Deserve the job and from what i heard, scored way better on the written and oral tests. But because of civil service rules, George Swander was awarded 10 extra points. This comes from a police officer that has scored very high on several other tests but was still beat out by someone with veterans preference. I think it is a good thing that vets get extra points but in this line of work, inexperience may get someone killed or seriously injured.

Thank you

Police

Post by Guest »

You are correct. Swander did not deserve the job. He is not qualified nor does he have the experience as most of cops on the list. He had to be trained by one of the officers on the list. I am grateful that he is a Veteran, but it does not make him a better cop.

Outrage

Post by Guest »

SWANDER!!!!!!!! Who is this masked man? Where did he come from? Is here to save the town riding his white stallion? This is an outrage. How can the council and everybody involved in the hiring process be comfortable with this unkown with no experience and or training for police work. I hear there were alot more qualified for this job. Everybody who wrote that he should not have gotten it due to his military was RIGHT. Something should be said and done by the other officers who were robbed of a posistion that they worked hard for and are better qualified for. DO YOU THE CITIZENS AND TAX PAYERS OF TYRONE FEEL AS THOUGH YOU ARE GETTING YOUR MONIES WORTH, AND DO YOU FEEL SAFE KNOWING THAT AN INEXPERIENCED AND UNQUALIFIED OFFICER IS PROTECTING YOU AT NIGHT?
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

I moved away from Tyrone several years ago, but knew several Swanders that were quite active in the Public Safety/Emergency services.

I want to make this is the SAME George Swander that I know (versus a younger relative, etc) before I post some comments about his past.

Is he originally from Duncansville, lived also in the Greenwood area, and in about his mid-50's?

Post by Guest »

come to think of it, WHO is George Swander?? I have been a Tyrone resident all my life and have had good relationships with all or at least have seen them out and about talking with people. Does this George Swander get out and interact with the public at all?? Have you even ever seen his name in the Herald?? He must not do anything.....good or bad, because the tyrone herald picks up on everything. sometimes goes into more detail than needed. Is george swander nice??....lazy???.....i dunno but i havent seen him around doing much for the good. congratulations to whom ever hired this guy............you picked a winner...

Post by Guest »

Due a federal law and Civil Service George Swander was hired by the Boro due to the fact that he was the only veteran. It's sad to see more quilified and loyal part time officers get passed over because they did not serve in the military. But federal laws are what we have to live under.

Mark Frailey

Post by Guest »

:D
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

Anonymous wrote:Due a federal law and Civil Service George Swander was hired by the Boro due to the fact that he was the only veteran. It's sad to see more quilified and loyal part time officers get passed over because they did not serve in the military. But federal laws are what we have to live under.
The above response needs some correction/clarification.

A municipality is NOT required to hire the only veteran, and other qualified applicants are NOT automatically "passed over because they did not serve in the military".

What happens is that qualified military veterans receive a "veteran's preference" of 5 or 10 points (depending on category of service) that is added to their Civil Service exam scores.

Therefore, if several applicants score similarly on the Civil Service exams, any veterans would end up as the highest scorers after the veteran's preference is added.

GENERALLY, the municipality is NOT obligated to hire the highest scorer at that point, but DOES have to justify why NOT to hire him/her. If there was no reason to deny the top scorer (or scorers if there are multiple openings), that is who gets hired.

I'm assuming by the wording of the previous responses that George is a FULL-TIME officer, hired under the Federally-accountable Civil Service system - as opposed to part-time officers, who are hired by a system that is basically at the discretion of the borough council.

I don't know if that was the situation when George Swander was hired, but it is the normal and legal procedure that has been followed by the Borough for as long as I know - including when I joined the Tyrone Police force over 25 years ago...
mysticlady

Re: re: Am I serious

Post by mysticlady »

banksy wrote:Of course. What's wrong with Greg. You asked for a favorite, so I figured I would tell you. I live in Ohio, so I know NONE of the cops on that list except for Greg. At least he is a Tyroner.

Also, why not join the site and stop posting annonymously.
I think Greg Ray,is a great cop,I see nothing at all wrong with him at all.He is a caring and seems to be fair about everything, along with one or 2 more officers.They are just doing their jobs as see fit.
greenwood boyz

Post by greenwood boyz »

All the officers are great. I have known officer Swander for 25 years and you won't find a better guy. All those people complaining about him getting a job because of his military service need to get a life. Veterans should get bonus points because they served our country. Besides he must have scored very high on the test or he wouldn't have been considered. Give the man the credit he deserves. Officer Mayes is a good guy also. My favorite is Officer Barlick she is the best looking. Sorry officer Swander she even has you beat. 8)