YMCA

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
concernedguest

YMCA

Post by concernedguest »

I want to address an issue that really concerns me as a parent and citizen of this community. Perhaps some of you will feel this is petty considering all that has happened recently with the YMCA but I'm going to put it out there anyhow.

I understand that the main issue is the fact that several of the board members are not paying members of the YMCA. I'm also fairly sure that there was a good reason why these individuals were serving as board members. Now here is the issue...

Why did it have to be handled the way it was handled? If someone discovered that there was a problem with the fact that these individuals were not "paying members", then why couldn't they have addressed it in a more respectible manner? After all, these individuals have given their time and energy to help. Couldn't this have been addressed outside of a board meeting? I might be wrong about this but I feel that maybe a meeting with these individuals to alert them to the fact the YMCA members (or at least 11 of the members) want to start following this "paying member only rule" would have been a more courteous and constructive way to handle this. Perhaps these board members who are "non-members" of the YMCA would have stepped aside to allow members to take over the board. Just a thought.

On a final note, I am quite familiar with several of these non-member board members. These are individuals who give of their time and money to help make Tyrone a better place to live. I am grateful for their efforts and hope that this situation doesn't diminish all that they have done for our community.

Post by Guest »

Everybody wants something for nothing!!
Having the YMCA to themselves after hours at paying nothing for DONATING there time is crazy!! I am surprised in regards to how long they got away with this!! Have you read Dr. Shildt's letter? Do you not agree with anything he says? If you dont it is ok, everbody has there opinion and I wont put you down for posting yours but I personally agree with how they are taking care of the matter. Keeping it hush hush would make me think they are trying to hide something, but that is ME. Maybe since you are close to some of those members, that may be why you didnt like how it was uncovered and announced.
Doorman
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Doorman »

Could it possibly be that some of the board members stepped up to help the YMCA after it was announced that the YMCA was having tax problems and some of the other board members had resigned. Where was this Dr. Shildt then, it seems like he had just surfaced within the last year. Would this be because his son had accepted a position at the Ymca recently.

Post by Guest »

Better for him to surface later rather then never. Just because somebody has not been in a group for years doesnt mean one thing. Who knows why he is just stepping up but at least there is an honest person out there!
Doorman

Post by Doorman »

Well I wonder where Dr. Shildt is now. Why after all of the trouble that he started he did not put his name in to be on the board of directors. It looks like some of these people that have been saying that there only concern is the YMCA were just blowing it out of there
Starz

Post by Starz »

I dont believe he "caused trouble" It sounded as though he was stating the facts. Why do you have to be involved on a day to day basis to voice an oppinion? Or in his situation, voice the facts? Who would want to be on the board under those particular circumstances?? I think he made sense, why dont you??
Doorman

Post by Doorman »

Like the popular VH-1 program, where are they now.