Minus One

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

ruby,

You asked "If you knew this was going to happen to Tyrone, and you live away..." To clarify this: I made that prediction WHILE I was still a Tyrone cop, and BEFORE I moved away.

I'll take a few educated guesses (and I have multiple college degrees - Criminal Justice, Psychology/Sociology, etc - that I wouldn't have been able to earn had I stayed in Tyrone) why the present Tyrone PD wouldn't or couldn't have taken pre-approach actions based on my previous predictions.

1. Borough Council and the past Mayors were always in conflict with the Police Department's leadership over policy, power, and having the police NOT "making waves". The prevailing politicians then did not want the citizens to be aware of how serious problems were - and would keep intensifying - regarding social problems. In many cases, any effective crime enforcement always "stepped on the toes" of the sons and daughters of influential citizens - and occasionally the councilpersons' own kids as well. Your statement "They have these big drug bust, throw them in jail for a few hours, they squeal a few names and then are put back out on the streets" is most likely a reflection of historical actions in Tyrone. Heck, I see it all the time here in Myrtle Beach, SC. The politicians just want to be able to beat on their chests and claim "look what we're doing with your tax money, we're solving these problems!"; when they actually aren't getting to any root problem and are merely trying to just maintain the "reputation" of the area as a "good community".

2. Tyrone was an "economic slave community" for a long time. MEANING it had no real economic opportunities for it's citizens to financially obtain a really comfortable family life. It was OK for senior citizens on fixed incomes and those that had grown up when jobs and recreation, etc were abundant, but really fell apart about 25 years ago with job losses, no new industry, inflation, and practically NO recreational or constructive liesure or beyond-the-basics learning opportunities for the area's youth (sound familiar even today?).

By "economic slave community", I mean one in which people really can't afford to comfortably and happily live there overall; but can't afford to leave and easily start elsewhere, either. Tyrone also hadn't ever really invested in the future, which is why when new reservoirs and other major projects were needed, it didn't have any funds for even IT'S portion of federal and state matching grants; the answer was for the Borough to sharply increase taxes on fixed-income persons (mostly senior citizens) and others that could barely provide the bare necessities for their families. If even one position was posted in a local paper for a decent-paying job, dozens or even over a hundred people would apply.

Which brings us to a third point...

3. Many of Tyrone's brightest youths or those that were willing to take the chance to break away from the "economic slave" cycle moved away, leaving a higher proportion of the youths behind that just repeat the cycle of family criminal activity, substance abuse, and simple social misfit lifestyles. EVERY time I read the Police Blotter and hear of significant crimes and other problems back in Tyrone, I hear the SAME last names over and over again that prevailed in the blotters and bad news of a generation and 2 generations ago. Add to that the influx of new residents that move into the Tyrone area on housing assistance programs that were "involuntarily displaced" from other communities and the prophecy is fulfilled.

And all you good people that I really do miss and feel for are suffering the consequences. There are a lot of good things about Tyrone, but I would NOT want to live there again. I enjoy occasional short visits, but have seen first-hand how severe the current problems are.
Last edited by BeachBiker on Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJ

Post by AJ »

OMG- What happened to Mario?
I moved away from Tyrone 15 years ago-(Thank God)-and I had no idea that Mario passed away. I always hoped to make it back there to get another one of 'his' stromboli's. d*mn.... :(
Was this his son that just passed away?
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

AJ,

The story I heard was that Mario was killed in a boating accident about a year or 2 ago, and that his stepson was operating the boat at the time; I heard it struck Mario while he was in the water.

I don't know if the one who passed away last week is the same stepson or not.

Anyone with more accurate information, please correct me...
tyronie

Post by tyronie »

Shane was Mario's stepson. Shane was probably 33 or 34 and has a younger brother Chan Julian.

Marco Paese (Shane's half brother) that accidently killed Mario in a jet ski accident was also arrested with Shane in this last drug bust.
Last edited by tyronie on Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
jamy

Post by jamy »

I believe that it goes like this.......Shane Julian was Mario's Stepson, He was the one that died this week. Mario's son Marco was the one who was in the jet ski accicent with his father Mario. that is how Mario died.
jayestewart
MVP Member

Reaction to drug discussion

Post by jayestewart »

As I read all of the posts regarding the death of someone who apparently developed an addiction I can only think that "what is happening to our little town?" I see many of us of my generation and some generations after mine have moved away to find better jobs, better economy, and a better life overall. The crazy thing is I have a yearning to come back home as I near retirement in 7 years and have been looking for a property to purchase in the Tyrone Area to serve as a vacation home and when the weather gets real bad like it is now....run away to Florida to my home here for a respite from the winter.

I would encourage the leadership of Tyrone to take a serious look at these concerns...perhaps develop some kind of a panel which includes members of city council, police, community members and maybe a couple of us who have left to sit down, identify the problems honestly and develop a plan of action to improve life in Tyrone.

I for some reason, have a strong belief that people who serve in public office all want the same thing...a great life for themselves and for those for whom they serve. If things are truly this bad the only way to fix the problem is to identify it, own up to it, and create a vehicle for change.

Despite all of this negative discussion I still want to come back to Tyrone...who knows maybe I will have to get involved after all we ALL have a part in this whether we are living there now or have lived there in the past.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

So sad to hear about this young mans death. My prayers not only go out to his family and friends, but also to the town of Tyrone. Im sadned to hear of all the serious drug use in the community.
Just wandering. Is there any kind of support group for users/families trying to recover?
ruby

Post by ruby »

There is no local support group for people in the area recovering from addiction. Of course rehabs offer out patient meetings. If we could get all the parents together and the kids that have recovered we would have an awesome group. My son has been clean now for one year. He travels for treatment with a group of 12 from this area, which is really impressive and I'm proud of each and every one of them. There is help out there all they need to do is ask. And parents, don't give up.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Sounds like a local support group might be of some help. Perhaps Tyrone Hospital could help to organize such a group.
I think the community needs to stop turning a blind eye to such issues. The local officials as well as the people of Tyrone need to come together and support one another.
Does the School system have Drug awareness programs?If so, perhaps recovered addicts could speak of their personal hardships with drugs. Maybe families who have watched or lost victims of drug abuse could speak to the youth about the trauma of drug abuse. i don't know? Just some thoughts.
Starz

Post by Starz »

Maine Girl

That sounds like a good idea