Benefit dances, Overdose please pay for me???

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Starz

Benefit dances, Overdose please pay for me???

Post by Starz »

I do not think it is proper at all to ask the community for money in the event that a person would overdose on drugs. That is just not right in my eyes. I am actually Embarassed for families that ask this of our community! People have enough money to spend on drugs, but not enough money to spend on funeral services? I think a benefit dance should be held in the event of a person(s) would be sick and need money to help pay for treatment, a house fire, or a death unavoidable and so on. Not an overdose!
mysticlady

Re: Benefit dances, Overdose please pay for me???

Post by mysticlady »

Starz wrote:I do not think it is proper at all to ask the community for money in the event that a person would overdose on drugs. That is just not right in my eyes. I am actually Embarassed for families that ask this of our community! People have enough money to spend on drugs, but not enough money to spend on funeral services? I think a benefit dance should be held in the event of a person(s) would be sick and need money to help pay for treatment, a house fire, or a death unavoidable and so on. Not an overdose!

I agree 100% I don't agree with it either.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

Starz: You seem like a wise person. What is your position on some of the tax cuts President Bush instituted 2 years ago that ended up being greater for those with higher income?
Starz

Post by Starz »

Banksy, What is your point?
I really dont think it matters. How would you like to be asked to donate money to somebody when they killed themself?? I find it disturbing!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Starz:

Sone people need help. Some poeple deserve the assistance of others, while others probably do not. I think my previous question will serve it's point if you could give me an honest opinion.

Please keep in mind, addiction is a medical condition. While we are of our own free mind to get ourselves into this condition, it is sometimes requires some help from others. What kind of world wold we have if there were no good samaritans.

To be quite honest, you have your opinion and what point does it serve for me to continue to ask you questions to understand your point of view.
Starz

Post by Starz »

Bansky;
To be quite honest, you have your opinion and what point does it serve for me to continue to ask you questions to understand your point of view.

DITTO
ralphleach

Post by ralphleach »

The funeral is not for the deceased. It is for those left behind.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

I guess if you read this topic your first thought or response might be: what!? Are you kidding me? A benifit for someone who chose to get themselves into trouble. That is how many might respond. However when we re-examine the topic it allows us to think about the small children this man had, and what it might mean to them and others to have a proper send off to the man they loved and cherished.
I guess to many it might be the difference between asking your heart or your head? Just some of my thoughts on the matter.
Starz

Post by Starz »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone. I dont believe that this is a good cause to collect money though. I still have the same feelings however I appreciate your opinions. Mainegirl, I am not really following exactly who you think I am speaking in regards to but I am speaking in regards to a woman that overdosed in December <<I think>> and 2 weekends ago the "family" had a dance. But I guess if if anyone in Tyrone wants to kill themself they need not to worry about money for the benefit dances will take care of them. Please!!!!
If you all would like to donate to her I am sure I can get you an address to send the family money. Would you like???
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Hi starz,

I appreciate your opinion as well. In fact my first response was that of yours. I was actually speaking of another situation, but I have to tell you my emotions go back and forth on the issue.
I grew up in Tyrone and I can't believe the deaths due to drug use! It really is sad.