Daily Hearld Stories on TyronePA.com Homepage

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Daily Hearld Stories on TyronePA.com Homepage

Post by banksy »

Curious if anyone knows why the Hearld story updates seem to have dwindled to once every two weeks.
Doorman

Post by Doorman »

It is because they locked John Harlow and his recliner in a closet.
Starz

Post by Starz »

The operators of this website say they are sent the information from the Herald office, once received they post it. My opinion is maybe they do not want to lose subscribers to the paper!! I know I quit getting the paper in the mail when this website started. Now I regret it, I have noticed for all you people out of state you reallly do not see much of of news at all. Although the days that the news is posted on this site you get the idea of what is going on. (I mean the most "important" news so to speak.) I now get the Centre Daily Times out of State College, Pa and I am pleased with this paper.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

For those of us that now live way out of town (like... out of state), any major event/news is usually at least mentioned in the online version of the Centre Daily Times; they've been online for several years now.

I also discovered that the Altoona Mirror recently went online, with abbreviated stories that refer readers to the actual paper for more details.

Between these other papers, the news & forum sections of this website, and periodic contact with relatives still living there - I'm able to keep up fairly well with what's going on back home.

And it's especially good to have this Forum, where I can have interractive contact and be able to read a diverse range of opinions on the issues that still affect everyone in the Tyrone area.

Many things have changed - but many things are still the same small-town BS that was there years ago and will probably never end. Usually the same last names on the "bad people" side of events, and a lot of good hard-working folks questioning and suffering the consequences...
AJ

Post by AJ »

UNLOCK JOHN HARLOW!
As an 'out-of-towner' now, I was glad to find a site where I could get 'any' kind of news from that area. Now its been almost 2 weeks and the same old-same old on this site.
What's up with the "new construction" that was supposed to be happening on this site??
I really doubt that the circulation department at the Herald Office will be effected very much by posting a few highlights of the news and the obituaries.
I have limited contact with the people still stuck in that town, but I still care what happens to them, and to the area. If Tyrone would get out of the Stone Age and get up to speed with the rest of the world, this could be a great site. Its sure a great place for Advertisements, Community Events ect.
Until they get with the program- why don't some of you bored teenagers, post some News (and Obits) on here so all of us out-of-towners can stay up-to-date?
Thanx for letting me vent! :wink:
AJ
ZZtop99

WHERE IS THE NEWS ?

Post by ZZtop99 »

i am also wondering why there are no new news being posted. sad to have to go to other web sites to see what is going on in tyrone. this town has been the same for as long as i can remember. you got the goodies and the baddies and everyone wants to keep quiet. let it be known that the towns reputation is a druggy town. if you look far enough on the internet tyrone is mentioned on many sites as a place to purchase drugs. wake up town borough officials and do something about this. i would be ashamed to be involved with any type of goverment in this town. GET SOME BALLS AND DO SOMETHING.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

It was in the paper that the reason for the delay is due to the lack of employees at Open Door Visions. "If I recall correctly" it was noted that Kerry Webster will be learning the process and posting for us. Please correct me if I am wrong, I no longer have the paper.

News Updates on the website

Post by moderator »

Hello to everyone...

I know the lines are little blurry, but I would like to clarify who is responsible for updating the news at tyronepa.com

In February of 2002, our company, Open Door Visions, decided to give back to our community by providing, free-of-charge, a community-based website that people could come to and visit for local events, business listings, discussion boards, and exchange areas for art, poems, or other information residents wanted to share.

During the design and construct phases of the website, we crossed paths with the Daily Herald and discussions began along the lines of "wouldn't it be great if we could post local news online..."

In the beginning, it was very rough, the site was growing rapidly, news happened every day, and our own business, ODV was blooming. I was personally responsible for posting the news online for the Herald. They would either run us up a disk with content, or I would run down and grab one.

Keep in mind, this was our gift to Tyrone. We do not exchange any monies with the Herald, we do not charge anyone to view the news, it's literally the real deal, a "free lunch".

As time progressed, I began to work with some of our employees to get the news put up on a semi-daily basis. My schedule had become much more demanding than earlier, and I could not do it all by myself. These employees also worked on a volunteer basis for this website.

Eventually, files were no longer passed between the Herald and Open Door Visions by a zip disk, they were transferred electronically using FTP.

Mainly, the two things that have effected the timely posting of the news are...

1. Open Door Visions has let the ball drop on making sure our employees are taking care of the work in a timely fashion. We are already taking action to correct this issue.

2. The Daily Herald has occasionally missed some days, or sent partial news/sports. This is not done on purpose for any reason, things like this just happen.

On Wednesday the 25th, Chris Lash and I had a chance to meet to figure out how we can streamline the process of posting news more uniformly. We are contemplating working with the Herald Staff for direct updating of their news, as well as having our internal staff go back and load up back issues that have been missed.

I cannot apologize enough for letting the site fall back on news this much. I truly am sorry for letting it go this long.

Once again, we are working on correcting the problem. Thank You for your patience,

Rick Gority
Production Director, Open Door Visions
Moderator, tyronePA.com
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Nice to see your post and the additional days since your post the site has went unchanged. I get the fact it is free and there is no charge, but so is Yahoo.

Have you noticed the decrease in posts and traffic since the site stopped getting updated?
Mercedes

News Update on TyronePA

Post by Mercedes »

I hear that the herald as not always provided the news in a timely fashion, or in it's entirety, sometimes only providing sports, or not providing news at all, daily as needed. Lets hope this problem is corrected in a timely fashion.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

It seems we are back to the once a week updates.

Tyrone Daily Herald News For TyronePA.com

Post by moderator »

Hello Everyone,

I would like to apologize for the lack of news currently being posted on the TyronePA.com homepage. We are currently experiencing some FTP server troubles between us and the herald that we are trying to resolve as quickly as possible. We hope to find a solution to the problem within the week but until then please understand that we are doing what we can with what we have. Updates may be sporadic this week but I will be sure to post a reply here when the issue has been resolved. Thank you all for your dedication and patience through these issues.

Bill Hartsock
Webmaster for TyronePA.com
Bill@TyronePA.com
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

IF the FTP is down from the Hearld to Open Door, why not just walk it around the corner on a CD or something? or ZIP it in an email. I am assuming it is only text, correct?
JR

Herald

Post by JR »

Banksy, it would be way too simple for the folks at the Herald to just run a CD over to ODV. If I remember corectly (from the thread they deleated ),at one time that was exactly how the Herald delivered their stories. I don't know if it even pays to ask these uestions anymore because (only in my opion) both the Herald and ODV talk out of both sides of their mouths! Could this be why people go to the Altoona Mirror and the CDT for their info.?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

So now it's August 9th and no new stories on the front page since July. Must be one heck of a lot of text that a simply FTP problem would bring them down for so long. Sounds like just an excuse to me.