Tyrone Area High School Indoor Guard and Field Trips

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

Do You Think the Indoor Colorguard Deserves to go to Wildwood for Championships?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:10 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 8

TyroneGuard

Tyrone Area High School Indoor Guard and Field Trips

Post by TyroneGuard »

Hello everyone,

Indoor guard? Few people know what it is let alone that Tyrone has one. Our current Color Guard/Band front/Indoor/Winter guard has shown far more potential than any in years past. However, this years guard has used their potential to create a guard that no other can beat. As many high school groups do, they struggled at their first competition because many of them were "green". Even with many new members, they still achieved 2nd place out of 8. Since then there have been 2 more competitions at which they have dominated with 2 strong victories. Many guards in the past have struggled to achieve a 2nd place let alone 1st.

This brings me to my main point. If you are familiar with the Marching Band, if they achieve the title of chapter champions they proceed to Atlantic Coast Championships in Scranton. This is a well deserved award for all of the members who make the show possible. In indoor guard, finals are held each year in wildwood New Jersey. This is a great reward for all of the hard work that these girls put into their show. They learn self discipline, co-operation skills, and are given other skills they will use in their life. It requires 2 days out of school. Unlike other school groups, these are the ONLY 2 days missed by these girls for this group the entire year. (ex. wrestling, regional/state band/chorus- I’m not saying these groups don't deserve it, I’m just comparing what the guard is asking for) And the out of state factor should not be a problem because the Honors Society recently spent A WEEK in Washington DC.

This year the Tyrone Area High School's head principal has deemed that this trip shall not take place because:

1. It is not an educational trip and it will not be useful in their educational career.

2. The principal told the girls IN PERSON that they were I quote "A DETRIMENT TO THE TOWN" because of various activities such as fundraisers. Detriment-Causing damage or harm; injurious.

3. Because it is a 2 day trip out of state.

4. Because she (the principal) and the school do not feel that TOB (Tournament of Bands. The organization that the MARCHING BAND and indoor guard are competing member of... the same group the school allows the marching band to go to the finals of) is not as stable as PIAA.

The school is beginning with our group and will soon begin restricting others. Please help us fight against it so our children will have activities such as sports and music.

My information may sound one sided, but I assure you I have nothing to hide. All of the information that is needed and available is here. If you disagree with the districts decision, please cast your vote below to let us know what the community thinks of our group.

Thank you very much Tyrone for supporting groups like ours! We would be nothing without you!
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

I personally think Indoor Guard is great. I participated in it myself. (many moons ago) I feel it builds great character and discipline. Some of my most fond memories were of Indoor Guard.

I think it is outrageous that this activity is not deemed important enough to be excused from school.
It would be ideal for students not to miss classes at all for any kind of activity! But as we all know sometimes this is not possible.

These kids work very hard as do the sports teams and music programs. They practice,fundraise all year to pay for uniforms,instructors,even transportation. Why should they not be afforded the same rights as other students?

I have to disagree with the principal. Please tell me: How is wrestling considered educational?
KellyCohen

Post by KellyCohen »

You have got to be kidding me? They won't let you go to Wildwood for the championships? As a former member (and gold medal winner in 1995) this really annoys me. I had so much fun participating in this activity, and I picked up a lot of useful skills to help me in the working world. The biggest thing I took away from this organization was leadership. I also learned what hard work, teamwork, responsibility, time management, and commitment was. I got a lot more during my time with this activity than I did sitting in the classroom while I was in high school. In fact, my ‘education’ I received from our wonderful school district (complete with honors classes) had me so far behind my peers when I went to college that I struggled for a long time to catch up. It’s a good thing I had those things I picked up from your organization to fall back on, otherwise I probably would have dropped out and been uneducated or on drugs, and we all know that is the real detriment to society. What is the difference between throwing a football, basketball, running track, and throwing a rifle when it comes to educational careers? Also, doesn’t the wrestling team, Spanish club, chorus etc…do fundraising? And if I recall correctly, wasn’t the PIAA involved in a bribery scandal a few years ago? That really sounds like a stable, responsible organization to me.

I think I have a creative way to help you guys out. All I need are the names of your advisors and a way to contact them.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

:shock: That is CRAZY!!
TyroneGuard

Thank You To All

Post by TyroneGuard »

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to give you an update on the situation. Today the principal called the members of the guard to a meeting. In this meeting the girls were told that the trip had been reconsidered and board members had been called for their thoughts. After these discussions an agreement was reached and the trip to wildwood was passed with several stipulations.

1- Each member must pay any past fundraisers ASAP.

2- Each member must pay their fee for the wildwood trip next month.

3- All members are academically eligible.

4- If the nation is put on "High Alert" the trip as well as any other school trips will be canceled.

If all stipulations are fulfilled, then the guard will compete in Wildwood NJ at the end of April and beginning of May.

These guidelines were put into effect because unlike other competitive groups, the guard may participate in the finals even if they do not win chapter championships.

The guard would like to thank their parents and any other community members that made this possible and invite you all to the home Indoor Majorette/Percussion/and guard show this Saturday March 20, 2004 in the Tyrone Area High School Gym.
Last edited by TyroneGuard on Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

That is wonderful news! Good luck to all of you. Have a safe trip and lots of fun!! :D
Adair145

Indoor drumline

Post by Adair145 »

Yes there is an indoor guard plus indoor majorettes but wheres the indoor drumline???????? I am one of the few who were commited to a indoor drumline.. I was very very disappointed when our advisor told us we couldnt compete. The reason: not enough people. originally we had approximately 20 people sign up 8 of us stayed with it. I was heartbroken. I am excited to announce though we will WILL be competing next year.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Adair,

Sorry about this year, but best of luck next year.
A high school drum line would be a great addition to the school!