Tytoona Cave?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Tytoona Cave?

Post by BeachBiker »

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that Tyrone was mentioned in a story in the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina newspaper on Saturday. This was the first time I saw Tyrone mentioned in this paper - with the exception of obituaries.

The story was about a Penn State space colonization class exploring the "Tytoona Cave". It only mentions that it is located "somewhere between Altoona and Tyrone".

I am very familiar with the Tipton, Bellwood, Pinecroft, etc areas, but this cave is one I've never heard of - unless it's somewhere in the Sinking Valley area. Even if it's a newer name for an old cave, I don't know of any in that area large enough for exploration.

Does anyone know exactly where the "Tytoona Cave" is?
KellyCohen

Post by KellyCohen »

I can't believe you have never been to the caves before. It's in Arch Springs. It's hard to explain specifics, I haven't lived there in seven years so I don't know the 'correct' road names. You honestly would never know was there unless someone told you.

Here is a website if you are interested...

http://www.caves.org/region/mar/tytoona_mgmt_plan.htm
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Kelly,

Thank you for the link - NOW I know which one it is.

I just don't recall it being known as the "Tytoona Cave", but am familiar with the Arch Springs name for it.

Reviewing the provided link, it looks like the "Tytoona" term became more publicized/associated with it about a year after I left the area...
jayestewart
MVP Member

Finding the Cave

Post by jayestewart »

I will be in the Tyrone Area this summer with a team from our school that will be attending the Penn State Wrestling Camp. I grew up in Tyrone. I know about Fort Roberdeau but never about the cave.....I would like to take the kids there if anyone can get me on the right road!

Thanks
AJ

Post by AJ »

If you can get to Arch Springs, there is a road-either before or after the actual 'arch'--to the right. You only have to go back there a few hundred feet and it will be on your left. You really wont see anything until you park and get out. You'll have to walk down a hill before you'll see the actual cave. Its been 15+ years since I've been in Tyrone, so its probably really overgrown by now, but its a really neat place! There used to be steps built into the side of the hill to make access easier, but I have no idea if they're still there.
(seems to me where we parked--there was a road or driveway of some sort on the right hand side!)
But its probably a housing development or something by now! lol!
Good luck! Hope this helps a lil!
AJ
Bock

Tytoona directions

Post by Bock »

The easiest way to get to the cave from Tyrone is to head south on Route 453 and take a Right onto what is commonly referred to as Silver Barn Road. An easy way to find it is once you've driven past the waste water treatment plant and crested the hill (at the top of this hill on 453, on your left if heading south is the entrance to the New Enterprise quarry) and Silver Barn Road is the second right turn after that (the first takes you back to Ironville) - once on it you'll know because there's an open grate bridge and an railroad overpass immediately after it.

Follow Silver Barn Road to a four corner intersection where you'll be greeted by a STOP sign. Go straight.

This is a short, twisting road that eventually comes to a T at the bottom of a hill.

Take a left.

The cave is less than a mile down this road, still gravel (I think), on the right.

The parking area is now blocked and usually quite overgrown with weeds. The cave is owned by the Western PA Conservancy, if memory serves, and they have tried to discourage it as a hang out (the reason the parking is limited). You can still squeeze off the road and park.

Be careful in the spring, the water is high and fast occasionally and the ground is usually wet and slippery, so falling in and getting swept away wouldn't be hard to do.

It's quite beautiful in the summer and a nice excursion. You'll probably run into other folks checking it out if it's a weekend or a nice day.

Please don't leave any trash.