WHEN is the FUNERAL?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

WHEN is the FUNERAL?

Post by BeachBiker »

OK everyone, when is the FUNERAL for this discussion board?

It's been over a week since someone has posted anything.

I called some relatives back there; they have assured me that Tyrone and surrounding villages and townships are alive and active with issues and events. People still talk about things, controversy continues to appear, and everyone has an opinion about it.

So here I am in Myrtle Beach - riding my Harley while preparing for our major bike rally, hitting the beach, enjoying our many venues and activities - and wondering what's going on and what folks are thinking BACK IN TYRONE!

I enjoy hearing your differing and insightful opinions regarding Tyrone-related events just as much as now living in my preferred retirement paradise. I've noticed we have several other active participants on this board that now live elsewhere far away from Tyrone; perhaps they are wondering the same thing.

So what are folks talking and concerned about in Tyrone today?
AJ

Post by AJ »

Hey BeachBiker-I'm another Out-of-Towner wondering the exact same thing! Pop in here every now and again and nothing new for days! Where's that ole Bored Teenager that knows how to Post on here? Hey BT--at least let us know who died! lol! It'll give ya something to do to combat your boredom! Whatcha say?

Can someone please post some 'news' from that town? Anyone?

AJ
Doorman

Whats new

Post by Doorman »

Uh, lets see now. What is happening in Tyrone, gas went up again at Sheetz, the Mayor got some more money for her sidewalks, milk went up at Sheetz, theres a auction tomorrow night at the Tyrone Social Center and the American Legion. So believe it or not, there is a lot going on in Tyrone.
ruby

Post by ruby »

Alot of activities going on for the little ones of Tyrone. Last week I took in a soccer game and a minor league baseball game. My nephews were playing in them.
Soccer has really become a sport here hopefully it will take off and be something for those that don't play Tyrone Football. Its great to see all the parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, brothers, sisters and friends and relatives out at the games to support the kids. The soccer field was just full of little soccer players.
Don't know if you out of towners know that Tyrone almost lost their baseball for the young ones? But its here due to alot of peoples time and donations. They had a big opening day for them. Scott Gummo, who graduated from Tyrone in I think 2001 and now plays for Penn State, was there and brought pictures of the Penn State team for all the kids. They had music all day long. It was a great day.
Thats a little of what I saw.
BoredTeenager

Im Here

Post by BoredTeenager »

I'm here, just didnt have much to say about much of anything for that matter. People here in tyrone are dying left and right from overdoses. I'm sure you know about mills's, there was a big thing about it in the recent posts. It seems the only conversations that happen in this forum thing has to do with drugs, death, and other peoples families. Why cant we have conversations about our own lives, instead of others, kinda makes me mad i guess. There really isnt too much to talk about, someone needs to spark up a conversation about something, anything besides what we already talk about. Ill start talking again once theres somethign to talk about, TALK not ARGUE.
tyronie

Post by tyronie »

I'm game boredteenager. How about something positive for a change and listing things we love about Tyrone?

East End hoagies are by far #1
The Paper Mill reopening
Gardner's chocolate (although it is way overpriced)
Krispy Creams at Sheetz (closer than drivng to Altoona)
Tyrone Hospital

Tyrone has potential to be the town it once was, it will require serious housecleaning though. I think it is on it's way. Downtown is slowly improving and parts look better than it did when I was kid.

I think that someone should open an establishment like Chaser's (remember that place?). The Bull Pen is ok, but sometimes you need a change and do not feel like driving to Altoona or State College.
jayestewart
MVP Member

Hoagies and Candy and being bored

Post by jayestewart »

Yes Hoagies from East End definitely are something to talk about. I always have one..well two or three any time I am in Tyrone. Gardner's Candy, well it is good at any price when you live in Florida. They tried a Gardner's Candy down here but it did not make it due to the heat and general lack of customers.

Now I saw that soccer is taking off in Tyrone that is a good thing for the kids. Bored Teenager I agree with you about not dwelling so much on the negatives. Believe it or not when we were kids we did not have color TV, cell phones, microwaves, computers. Our sense of fun was sled riding and skiing in the winter, forget what we did in the spring...summer well we swung on grapevines that we cut....threw green apples on sticks, swam in the creeks..where we made our own dam....Fall we had all the fun of high school sports. Point is....boredom only departs when we take a step to involve ourselves in something constructive or entertaining that is not destructive in nature. If you really get bored, go do something for someone and make their day brighter.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

East End Hoagies!!!!! When you can get 'em, there is nothing that can compare. My only problem is that I usually come back to Tyrone around the holidays and can't get 'em.

I always say to my wife, I should ask the Switzers if they would want to franchise East End and see if I could open up a shop here in Cleveland. I would quit my job and make a go at it if they would want to franchise. Subway started with one store! East Enders! It even has a nice ring to it.

So, tell me, what is it about East End that makes it so good. My family agrees it's the onions. My wife hates onions and as such says "East End is okay." If she liked onions, I think she would love them.

Maybe I will get someoen in Tyrone to eat onyl East End hoagies for 6 mos and see if they can lose weight like Jared and Subway.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

I have to agree with your wife banksy. I think they're "ok" too. I prefer OIP subs. I think they do a nice job on their food. Having been raised in an Italian family, I grew up eating some of the best Italian meats and cheeses. I guess I was spoiled in that sense! I live in Maine now and its very hard to find a good Italian sub. Don't get me wrong, we have some of the finest resturants around, but as for subs... They call them "Italians" up here. An Italian consists of one thin slice of meat and cheese and topped with Lots of Onion, black olives,tomatos, and pickles. basically a "Veggie" sandwich if you will! And the bread is similar to that of a hot dog roll. Yuk! I believe the bread is an essential part of the sandwich. In short, Maine has alot to offer. "Italians" are not one of them! Best to stick with the LOBSTER!!
BoredTeenager

Post by BoredTeenager »

I love east end hoagies, mmmmm. I was told that they were going to rip down all the buildings from puff and snuffs up to the hardman and put in a hotel, which will go over the river too. Why? Because when the new highway is done (whenever that will be for that matter) all kinds of people will want to stay closer to thier jobs. Like if someone is living in ebensburg and has a job in state college, why not stay overnight with a 40 minute drive ahead of you instead of 1 1/2 hours? I dont know i think it might happen. Ya it would be pretty cool if they put in a bowling ally, or even a place with pool tables somewhere closer then toona town, that would be alright. I dont think I was living here when the old bowling ally was in up there when the dollar store is now, dunno. I dont got money for krispy kremes let alone gardners lol. But they are both really good.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

The bowling alley was great. I honestly think that if someone had the money to build a mecca in Tyrone, it would make money. Put a family oriented Sprots Bar in place, like the style of a Damon's, and then on the other side a Bowling Alley, and then a large area for Pool Tables.

If there is going to be a hotel, they will need more food places where a business person could sit down to eat.
BoredTeenager

Post by BoredTeenager »

yaaa, thats what I heard, I think that altoona,state college, bellwood, tyrone, and everything else between toona and state will combine as one major city, it'll prolly happen when im dead and gone tho. yaaa a bowling ally and pool tables and sports bar would be awesome in tyrone, but no one has that kind of money....the mayor wouldnt push it either because it wouldnt be for the elders.....i dont think she cares for the kids aka future of tyrone... but we wont start an argument over that...the drugs are becoming really bad though...i really dont know what else to talk about...
ruby

Post by ruby »

In my opinion I don't know of anything that would interest the 17-21 age group. They don't want to be in town, they want to be in the malls and meet different people. If you go to the Logan Valley Mall on a Friday or Saturday night you see young people from all over the area and they all pretty much seem to get along. I know that my son, at age 15, was going to youth shows in Altoona and going to the mall on a Friday night and now he has friends from all over the area.
I don't really think kids want to stay in Tyrone... They want to venture beyond the wall and I think that is great. Tyrone isn't like it use to be and neither are young people. We use to be content just hanging out with our friends in town or where ever but its not that way.. Even the Tyrone/Bellwood rivalry only last one night!
BoredTeenager

Post by BoredTeenager »

I always hang out in town, it does suck but i dont have a vehicle...last year me and some friends went to toona fri and sat night all the time...dunno what happened...tyrone can be fun if they had fun things too do, like a bowling alley would be awesome, you would meet different people at one. I just wish they would put one in.