Updating the website on a regular basis

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Starz

Updating the website on a regular basis

Post by Starz »

I bet if Open Door Visions advertised for a volunteer to post stories on a daily basis on "tyronepa.com" they just might receive some calls. I understand this site is posted with no cost to us but lately the person that posts is slacking big time. :roll: That is the face I have the days I sign on and the same stories are posted all week long. I think last week they did not update for over 5-6 days and then posted the sports. I emailed open door before about not updating on a daily basis and the excuse was getting the stories, they did not get the stories in a timely fashion from the Herald. What is the excuse now? The Centre Daily Times out of State College is great updating there site. Every single morning I sign on there site is updated. It is GREAT!
On another note:
Are the new monthly polls aiming towards something or is it just for conversation? I don't think you will get accurate results seeing how every time you visit the site it allows you to vote. You should have to register to vote and be able to vote only once.
I have to admit, I do not visit the site as regularly as I use to and with the lack in postings I do not think I am the only one. Thank You!!
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

What she said! It is a strong relation to why the posts have tapered off as well.
jayestewart
MVP Member

I agree

Post by jayestewart »

I will be in Tryone this summer. I am going to come and visit the people who are responsible for updating this website and see if there is a reason why we have to wait for updates so long.

Stay tuned.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

Good luck!!! They should just do away with the news part. And yeah, what are the polls for anyhow???

Post by moderator »

Thanks for pointing out the poll error. The poll now locks out by IP until I reset for the next month.

The poll results for last month actually will be coming to life sometime this fall.

We have already begun developing an online classifieds area. We're actually having a more difficult time developing policies for the addition.

Some thoughts are… do we protect the privacy of the buyer/seller, or open it up for full disclosure.

Also, how long do we leave a listing up for, and how do we determine what can and cannot be listed.

We’d love to hear any input you may have. We want to offer this service for free like every other service on the site, but we’ll have to regulate it in some manner to make sure people are not using the system for illegal or improper solicitations.

As for the news, we are currently looking for more ongoing help for the site. There will be a classified ad in Herald over the next few days looking for webmasters & designers looking for part-time work.

We’re looking for “after school” work times from 3pm-6pm for 2-3 days per week.

Resumes can be sent to
Open Door Visions
5 West Tenth Street
Tyrone, PA 16686

Thanks for all the feedback, we do use it to make sure the site grows as you all need it to…

Rick

PS... Jay... feel free to stop by this summer, I am normally in from Noon-6pm and 9pm - 2am

Thanks...
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

moderator wrote: Some thoughts are… do we protect the privacy of the buyer/seller, or open it up for full disclosure.
Check into the possibility of linking in to eBay and create a "Tyrone" region where users can just use eBay but know where all Tyrone people are selling/buying their stuff. That resolves a lot of the admin by pushing it to eBay.

moderator wrote: As for the news, we are currently looking for more ongoing help for the site. There will be a classified ad in Herald over the next few days looking for webmasters & designers looking for part-time work.
Try checking with TAHS to see if some type of internship could be developed or class exercises whereby students get the change to do the updates for the news stories and learn and have fun at the same time.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

I have to agree to disagree with you Banksy. Bringing Ebay into the picture I think would cause more trouble then anything.
Maybe the site could check in with other papers that post there classified ads online. There are several local papers that give this opportunity to the community and they must not have many problems.

I think checking with the school is a great idea. Good Thinking!!!

Thank you moderator for your response.