Is Tyrone still going to be there?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Is Tyrone still going to be there?

Post by Harlow »

Rumor has it that Tyrone is being flooded.

What a great Flood control project we have.

I wonder how the library is holding up?

That exception is looking good now.

Be safe at home.

Harlow
PAinFL

Post by PAinFL »

I heard the same thing. Terrible.

Are there any pictures or the flooding?
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Strange...as I was reading the above posts, I had The Weather Channel on. I heard mention of the flooding in Pennsylvania.

I looked up just in time to see a lot of flowing water - and a caption underneath that said "BELLWOOD, PA".

I only saw about 2 seconds of it; couldn't identify anything because they showed it so fast and I missed most of it.

Of course, they THEN immediately went to their usual talk of only the large cities like Pittsburgh, and even seemed to make a big deal that it was raining (looked like just a light drizzle !) in New York City...

I did get word that my sister-in-law's shop - and many others - in downtown Tyrone was flooded with substantial water and mud...

I checked the online versions of The Altoona Mirror (WORTHLESS WASTE OF TIME), and the Center Daily Times (only mentioned Centre County flooding/weather problems.

Of course, the Tyrone Herald is probably current to the point that they are JUST NOW sending someone to check out a report of a Walter Main Circus Train Wreck north of town...
ruby

Post by ruby »

Downtown Tyrone is a total mess. The Tyrone News Agency had 3 feet of water inside...!!! the amount of mud is unbelievable... I can't even begin to guess the money amount that is lost there.
My niece lives on Park Ave. Her basement was full of water and she had to be carried to Epworth Manor because the river let loose and Park Ave. became part of the Juniata!
Just imagine 10th street with 4 feet of rushing water...!
Don't expect to much from the people that run this because they lost their computers!
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

As I mentioned in another response (on the Kathy Shea subject), WTRN has a website that IS updated often, although it's more oriented toward community events and nostalgia than daily news.

Their site now also features a theme of the NICE SEPTEMBER WEATHER, accompanied by a photo of piled-up snow with some parking meters.

Perhaps many folks would prefer the snow right now...
AJ

Tyrone Pictures

Post by AJ »

These are very, very dark pictures, but you can get the gist! Maybe some of you homies will know the locations and can tell us where they were taken.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kilmar ... BBqM7n0K8M

Our family lived through the '72 flood in the Tyrone News Agency, and oh, I pity them now! I can still smell that smell!!!
Glad this member of the family doesn't have to deal with it this time!

Good Luck to Tyrone!
We just had tornadoes to deal with here in Southern PA!

AJ
Bock

Flooding

Post by Bock »

The amount of rain that came down, over 6 inches in less than 12 hours, was too, too much, considering he heavy rains a week ago.

At 3 a.m. I walked from the Burley's building (the old Hub) on Penna Ave to 10th Street. Where Fink's Hardware building (IOOF building) and M&T bank connect, I hit water. By the time I reached the corner of 10th and Penna, to turn to walk toward's Logan (on the side of where Brunners bar then the Ball Park Cafe) the water was just shy of waist deep (I'm 5'7").

The current was so strong headed toward's the 10th Street bridge I had trouble keeping my footing. I eventually made my way to the door of my second floor apartment. A stalled car near the 10th street bridge was nearly covered and the water was swift enough it did move one car on 10th street.

It was something to behold.

Don't know how the library faired, but most of the Penna Ave and 10th Street merchants spent Saturday cleaning up.

Still, it amazed me the number of people I spoke with who seemed surprised the downtown flooded.

You can read more about the area flooding in the Altoona Mirror. Huntingdon was hit especially hard.
moses lee
MVP Member

Pictures

Post by moses lee »

WOW!, Flashbacks of "72". Though some were dark, the ones that weren't made up many times over. Photo 17 and 18 says it all. I think everyone who had damage should be eligable for some Fed. monies. Good Job on the photos! M.L.
Harlow
MVP Member

Great pictures

Post by Harlow »

It's hard to believe that one rain storm can do so much damage.

I hope Monika and everyone get their businesses back in order.

Greg, I'd like to read what the Mirror had to say other than the first paragraph they have on line.

Take care everyone and I am looking forward to Monday night when the Golden Eagles win at Lewistown.

Take care.

Harlow
PAinFL

Post by PAinFL »

Thanks for posting the pictures AJ. WOW, it was never that bad the many years that I lived there. I was too young to really remember the 72 flood.

I hope that there isn't much damage to the homes and businesses, although by the looks of those photos, it may take some time to clean up.
geric3

More info

Post by geric3 »

I was hoping someone can give me more information about all of the flooding. I saw on WTRN's website that the Y received pretty significant damage and that The Renovators had a fire. Can anyone please let me know as much as possible. Thanks.
SDutt

keep this post at the top

Post by SDutt »

I just wanted to keep this post near the top because of the pictures. They are pretty good and show just what it look liked. Almost all of the businesses are still closed as of today, and signs all say closed until further notice.
byzmom3423

How sad

Post by byzmom3423 »

How sad to see those pictures of my hometown. I feel bad for all the flood victims and pray that you all can get some relief soon. I talked to my dad today who said he was lucky in losing just the stuff his basement.
I'm glad for a website like this one to keep me informed even though I'm miles away from PA.

Take care,
Shawnee
ruby

Post by ruby »

Update for Harlow. Stores are opening up in Tyrone once again. They stink but hey they are still there.. Gardners is still closed but they are working on opening soon than they expected. I talked to someone from the bank yesterday and they got their new carpet installed and I believe they are opened now (M & T)... There are still dumpsters setting out around town and are getting fuller and fuller. Maybe now is the time to consider really getting that New YMCA. I know the building is Historical but its falling down. Altoona mirror and the tyrone paper both had articles in them about the Y yesterday.
As for council, I haven't seen anything, but then again I'm not really interested. I'm still waiting to see what happened with the boro manager?
Tyrone Football is going.. I think this will be a test for them.. hopefully they won't keep me on the edge of my seat all night, of course I'll be sitting on the PO side because they don't have enough seating...
Well Harlow I hope I filled the void somewhat?