Sleeping IN

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
SDutt

Sleeping IN

Post by SDutt »

I was wondering if anyone else in town has a hard time sleeping in with the local "alarm clock" I am not sure if my neighbors would appreciate if I hung my head out the window every morning at 7 and screamed, but I am fairly positive they would not be thrilled.

Are there any sound ordinaces here in Town? If not lets allow the kids of town to play loud music at all hours of the night and not complain about barking dogs.

Wait a second....that doesn't sound right!

I am sure that if we can develop a new hotel chain in town that the guests will not enjoy the 7am wake up call. I know I don't.

Sorry, Yes it is the Paper Mill horn.
Last edited by SDutt on Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

What is causng the noise?
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

I'm curious to hear the answer as well.

I do know that years ago, some folks actually complained about the regular shift horn blowing at the paper mill and the ringing of church bells.

As far as unscheduled noises, some folks also complained about the fire sirens.

Even when they bought or rented a house while fully being aware of one being nearby...
jxg12

Sleeping IN

Post by jxg12 »

Strangely, one of the things I looked forward to when we relocated to Tyrone after being away for 38 years was the "town sounds" My life as a youngster was regulated by the "town sounds". I never had to wear a watch or use an alarm clock because time to get up was regulated by the church bells, time for lunch and dinner was regulated by the 12 o'clock and 4 o'clock whistles while winter curfew was regulated by the evening church bells. The train "'noise" is a nostalgic reminder of my grandfather who was an engineer on the railroad. For me, the "town sounds" are comforting. :D

Post by moderator »

banksy wrote:What is causng the noise?
I'm guessing it's a referral to the Paper Mill Whistle...

http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=4630
realitycheck

Post by realitycheck »

The other morning wile I was getting ready for work and was able to have the window open for the spring time air to coming through. I heard the Paper Mill alarm sounding. My first though was how nice to hear that again. That means that there are individuals that are employed in Tyrone once again and not just earning $5.15 and hour. How sweet that sound was knowing that. It can be my official alarm clock any day. I suggest that if this noise bothers you ...buy ear plugs and let the mill alone.
smboats

Sleeping - period!!

Post by smboats »

Please, please, please give me you paper mill whistle, fire sirens, train noise and any other noises that bother you. You want noise, move to a city. Last night, I had an indoor rap concert (1 block away) until 2 in the morning, then there was the cursing, laughing and racing of the car engines as the concert goers left. After that, at 3 AM, there was the emptying of the dumpsters - why have 1 large container when 7 can be so much more entertaining! Add to this the usual sounds of motorcycles drag racing under the stone bridge, fire and police sirens, screaming drug addicts, airplanes, helicopters and my very favorite - GUNSHOTS (or was that a car window being smashed?) and the paper mill whistle is a sound I long for.
Don't tell me to leave the city, I can't easily. I work in a highly specialized industry that is located mainly in large cities. When I was young, I couldn't wait until I was old enough to leave Tyrone - now I can't wait until I'm old enough to come back - paper mill whistle and all.
SDutt

Whistle Ok...7am is not

Post by SDutt »

I have not a problem with the whistle and other noises. What I have a problem with is the 7am Monday thru Saturday whistle. The lunch and end of day whistle are fine. It is just the 7am that bothers me.

Thanks for reading.
jayestewart
MVP Member

Whistle becomes background noise

Post by jayestewart »

I recently bought a home up there and working on it and I was in town at 7AM and had the pleasure of hearing the said whistle. It immediately brought me back to my childhood where I can remember hearing the horn/whistle 7 miles away in the dead middle of summer and told me it was time to get home and eat!

I really enjoy hearing the trains come through town all hours of the night and look forward to the time when I can enjoy longer time in my home up there after retirement in a few years.

I am sure after a while you will be immuned to the noise and will consider it background noise.
jayestewart
MVP Member

more memories

Post by jayestewart »

It probably reminded me that I needed to get moving on my paper route too! Who knows but I do remember hearing that regularly growing up and missed hearing it!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

While I love Tyrone and everything about it, I doubt I would like hearing a freakin whistle at 7am on a Saturday or a weekday if I had the day off, even if it means jobs for Tyrone folk.
ruby

Post by ruby »

I live close by the Mill and don't even notice the whistle anymore at 7. I know the first time it blew after years of not blowing I didn't even notice it at first. It was as if it should have always been blowing then it was like Wow the whistle blew today! The Mill whistle is part of Tyrone, gotta love it!
SDutt

thank u bansky

Post by SDutt »

thanks Bansky! I try to like it but hate it!
GRAD82

Post by GRAD82 »

Banksy:

As a kid in Tyrone, that whistle was an important part of every day - we knew when to be home for lunch, we knew when it was 4:00. One of the things I miss about Tyrone is that whistle.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I think times have changed since then quite personally, but if you like hearing a whistle roll you out of bed at 7am, then so be it. I note you said you liked the whistle at 4pm...what about 7am....and plus, how many families today eat dinner at 4pm...geesh, I work til 7pm.

All I am saying is that I understand SDUTT when he says that waking him up at 7am with a loud whistle would be annoying.