Kids of Tyrone, PA

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

Re: Kids, Tyrone, Skateparks & drugs

Post by Guest »

no
20's

mf

Post by 20's »

Well said mf. I think all the people in their mid 20's probably can relate to mostly everything you have said. Been there done that also, but turned out just fine.
Tyrone Kid

I used to be one...

Post by Tyrone Kid »

I grew up in Tyrone, attended school, and loved every minute with my friends. I moved away three years ago for college and finally realized exactly what Tyrone was to me. Believe it or not but there is more to do than complain about what there isn't to do in Tyrone for kids! TAHS offers so many organizations to get involved it that can consume a good bit of time. Student Council, Key Club, Language Clubs, and tons of sports...you name it...they all made my high school career the most memorable it could have been. Being a "kid" in Tyrone sure can casue dirty looks and gossip from the adults from time to time, but it is up to us to change their opinions. Stop rebelling over the lack of luxary entertainment facilitiies and get involved in the commuinty around you. I survived growing up in Tyrone. I would never raise a child there, nor would I take back a second that I spent growing up surrouded by Tyrone life. Take advantage of what you have in Tyrone because once you leave you aren't in a world where you last name decides your fate and everyone knows your name. There is a world outside of Tyrone, prepare for it and plan to change it. Tyrone Schools and their teachers have truly shaped my views of the world around me and I am a better person because of them.
BoredTennager

Listen to Me

Post by BoredTennager »

Listen to me, I've been living here for about 6 years, I'm now 17, and i know for a FACT that tennagers do drugs when they are bored, I know this because thats what i did when i was about 14, 15, 16 when i got my vehicle it changed. Drinking, smoking pot, taking unknown pills, huffing, everything is being done by bored teens now days. I mean come on people look at the younger kids in this town!!! Do you really know whats going on??? No you dont because your adults, times have changed you know. Styles changed you should know that! I have a 14 year old cousin who just got caught smoking marijuana, i asked him why he'd do such a thing and his ONLY reply was "I guess because I don't got nuttin to do in this town besides gettin messed up". THINK ABOUT IT. Also about the skate park, MAKE it happen, FOR THE KIDS! I know alot of people like to skate too, yes alot dont but they can still go there and hang out with their friends, or watch them skate. YOU adults really need to listen to me because I am still a teenager, and I KNOW whats going on in the younger teens lives because they tell me. Now I'm not saying I'm a god or anything i just know because im told and i was there not to long ago i know whats happening. Just listen thats all.
Youth of Tyrone Supporter

Bored Teenager

Post by Youth of Tyrone Supporter »

I hope you people are not writing these messages to try to get the attention of the members of Tyrone Council, because I had a member tell me to my face that he did not care if the kids in this town had anything to do at all. And if I remember correctly he was the only no vote when it came time to vote on the skate park that is being built near the swimming pool. He is also the council member that sat on his front porch and b*tch about the kids that hung out in the park located on Lincoln Ave. And one other thing he did was help close down the Fire Company that held the youth dances. This person I am talking about is none other than Jim Beckwith. Now he is up for reelection, I think it is time for some new blood on that council. Some of these people have been on there way to long and they only care about certain groups in this community. We need someone that will be there to represent the whole community, not just a few people.
AJ
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Kids of Tyrone

Post by AJ »

Well, after fifteen years of not being in Tyrone, I see that things will never change in that town, for the good of the kids!
I'm so glad I chose to raise my kids outside of Tyrone. Sure, its a nice, small community, but as far as activities for the kids--they're screwed!
Years ago, we could cruise town for hours and not cause any trouble, then the cruisin' ordinance came into effect, then our last means to do ANYTHING was taken away.
WAKE UP TYRONE!!!
Bars, Pizza Shops and Drug Stores are not considered 'activities'!!!
The kids need a place to hang, dance & listen to music! Tyrone needs a teen center-supervised-but somewhere to "GO", with something for everyone! Get some pool tables and some pinball machines, get a jukebox and let 'em be kids. Throw in a few computers for kids to have access to the real world....or is that what everyone is afraid of--the real world?!? I'm sure there are plenty of vacant buildings in that town where this could be a real possibility! What about the Citizen's Firehall? Its close enough for everyone, close to the cops (for those worried about 'problems'), and everyone knows where it is! Get Parents to volunteer as chaparones, or pay a security guard, & screen 'em at the door! Keep it for the kids UNDER 21, with no exceptions! Or combine this whole idea with the skate park located behind the firehall!!!
Come on Tyrone, WAKE UP! What else do you expect these kids to do with their time?
I guess the answer is the same as its always been in that town- drugs & alcohol!!
My suggestion to all of you bored teenagers? Get your high school diploma-and get the h*ll out of Dodge!! :) There is a big world out here to see, so don't waste anymore of your life stuck in that situation! But it starts with that diploma....so take care of business, and plan for a future, (outside of Tyrone), and don't let YOUR kids get stuck there too!!
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

I have a couple things on my mind, you people that want the youth to join something in school, and say that is something for them to do, I went to Tyrone School, if your not in a click there you ain't s**t. So why would anyone join something that people in there are gonna make you feel like you don't belong. IT IS TRUE, and everyone knows it. So lets find a place to have dances for the youth that age doen't matter as long as your under 21. If you do not want your 10 year old hanging out where 18 year olds do, then do not send them.
Also, the police, which I have nothing against, but I saw a Tyrone cop, at a football game patroling. There was school police there too.. Mr Beckwith at a boro council meeting said they shouldn't be stationed at one place to patrol, they are the town police, and should be patroling the whole town. I guess he was just talking about the Citizens Fire Co. youth dances, because he wanted to shut the fire hall down, thats right folks your very own Boro Fire Chief and councilmen Jim Beckwith didn't want the Citizens to survive. Why I'm not sure, but my guess is because his son the Asst. Chief quiet when things got tough, and Joined another co. in town, so the Citizens wasn't important to him, even though they had alot of differant rescue certifications.
If you ask me, I think that this sounds pretty good.."Chewdog and Hammy for MAYOR of Tyrone"
BoredTeenager

I AGREE

Post by BoredTeenager »

AJ and Hammy I REALLY agree with you a 110% :!:
hiker61

"Where did all the children go"

Post by hiker61 »

It seems there must be some confusion over the towns mission statement.
It has been and always will be "Children are to be seen and not heard"
I am now in my mid 40's and has I watch from outside the town I get to laugh at some of the things that go on there. Alot of the people complaining of the kids where the same ones that did the complaining when they where kids. I'm sure they will try to lie out of it but I know better. Some of the kids will laugh but if they would use there heads and gather the mom and dads of the town that could vote I would be willing to bet that they could gather more than enough votes to ouster the current government. Thats were they need to start, a grass roots effort.
Sitting around b*tch is exactly what the town wants. If you do that then
they have you where they want you . They can sit around and say The children don't know, They cause trouble all the time. We know whats best for them. I hope that the children and the adults would see past the difference of youth and age but that's highly doubtful. You cannot ignore
the children and then wonder why they all leave first chance they get.
We just had a govenor who said we need to stop our youth from leaving this area. I guess nobody in the town voted for him and it's not Rendelly
Here to the hope that the children of the area and the adults can work together for a brighter furtutre for the town.

Post by Guest »

I think that the adults are more to blame in this town than the kids. I am also in my 40's and I don't see anything different with the kids now as we were then. We did have a few more things to do but we also got in trouble running the streets, throwing tomatoes, tp the trees on halloween, all those typical kid things. I'm sure if we went back to the next generation we would find the same things going on.
As for the skate park.... well how many kids to do you see roller blading? Is this skate park going to be a home to Skate boarders? Thats what the kids are doing. We seem to be a few years behind here in Tyrone. We need new officials... WE need new government... WE need change...

Post by Guest »

I'm with you guys, Chewdog and Hammy for Mayor, has a good sound guys.

Post by guest »

I am a former Tyrone resident. Born and raised in the town. What is this nothing to do stuff? Is there not still a ymca? Do you not still have a High School with multiple extra cirricular activities? How about the library? Is there not a community pool, recreational parks, fishing spots, hiking trails, basketball and tennis courts? How about DelGrosso's Park? Talk about a wonderful, clean, and affordable amusement Park!! Thats just to mention a few.

How about looking at the glass as half full instead of half empty? :wink: